Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
nEverest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: nEverest Reply with quote

On Saturday I will be doing a slightly different event. Cycling 20 laps of a 16.7km loop with 460m climbing. Starting at midnight 1st September, with a cutoff of 6pm

Hopefully I will manage to cycle 334km with 9200m total ascent.... Its about 100km more than I have ever cycled in one go, and about 5000m more climbing than I have managed on a single ride.

My strategy is to keep effort really low in the climbs (probably 180W, which is Z2 for me) and just coast the downhills, each lap should take 45-47 mins, a 10 minute break after 4 laps, and 20 minute break after 8 laps, this leaves me about 60 minutes headroom

For nutrition, solid food at the end of each lap (banana, flapjack, brownie etc), and energy drink in bottle - will be looking at about 80g carbs per hour, hopefully by keeping effort levels low, I will be able to digest more than I would on an Ironman

I will be using my road bike, however, I am wondering whether to do some laps on my mountain bike in order to have a different position (it is a very light MB, so no big weight penalty)

Anyone got any tips?
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only tip to you from previous experience of riding with an "everester"...make sure you do all your stops for refueling/changing bikes/clothes etc is at the bottom of a climb rather than the top.

Descending in the middle of night having cooled down can be pretty scary Embarassed
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to pack some savoury "fatty" snacks which your body will crave...

pork pies
sausage rolls
hoola hoops

My double IM back in the day was saved by a McDonalds breakfast.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
you might want to pack some savoury "fatty" snacks which your body will crave...

pork pies
sausage rolls
hoola hoops

Thanks, excellent suggestion, Although I would need to do a 10km detour to get to a McDonalds, even if it does sound like a really good idea

I am hoping that this will be much easier than a Double IM, it is just the thought of 18 hours in the saddle
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Davem wrote:

pork pies
sausage rolls
hoola hoops

Thanks, excellent suggestion, Although I would need to do a 10km detour to get to a McDonalds, even if it does sound like a really good idea

I am hoping that this will be much easier than a Double IM, it is just the thought of 18 hours in the saddle

I recently did a 300k with 4.5k of climbing.... not sure i'd want to double it Very Happy
but sounds fun... yes will definitely want some proper food at some point... chees and onion sarnies always go down well for me.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest to that I've done is a 405km Audax, but only 4700m climbing. Whilst 334km might not sound too outrageous, the fact you're doing a lot of ascent means you're going to be on the bike for a long time.

I was 19h total and 16h riding time; so yeah I did a few proper stops in either convenience stores or cafes (no laps, so couldn't stash food). I wouldn't necessarily worry about swapping bikes, just having some proper 'down time' i.e. more than 20 min. I think you'd really benefit from the physical & mental boost of a proper (hot) meal or two during that ride. My lights starting going out at 250km, due to not enough food - so I had cheese & beans on toast & a cuppa at 300km which really sorted me out, and then soup and apple-pie/custard at the last checkpoint at 350km. Those two stops gave me a lot of energy and rested my gooch/back for a bit. Consequently, I really enjoyed the day.

I just think trying to treat such a hard ride like an event (food & rest wise) could be counterproductive as you get further into it; especially if it's quite chilly higher up.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes... 300km was 15hrs maybe 12.5riding time.... 18hours would be good going Smile
Have done a less hilly but not flat 400 in around 20hrs.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the real food stuff others have already posted. Haven't done anything similar on the bike, but have run 2 x 100milers this year, and both times in the dead of the night i was saved by eating real, hot food. Chilli & wedges, toast, soup that kind of thing.

Your body clock is all shot out and you'll (i would imagine) be very sick of the snack type foods. In my supported 100 i filled my boot with as many different types of food as possible, as you just don't know what you will feel like. The body is very good at getting what it needs, so one stop i'd want crisps, another something fatty, another something sugary etc.

and don't forget caffeine!!! Very Happy Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if I can do it, but it is a fun event, so will just see how far I get.

Last year, out of 10 starters, just one complete, so I know it is tough. I am doing it with a friend, Kai Sikorski, who was a pretty good triathlete... this is his 3rd attempt, and he hasn't succeeded yet

Thanks for all of the food tips, my daughter cooker some experimental cheese flapjacks, which are really nice
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Thanks for all of the food tips, my daughter cooker some experimental cheese flapjacks, which are really nice

Oh... I think we need to know more about these !
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagels with cheese (no butter) are great. No meat or butter means they can't go bad, even in heat. Pack in a small freeze bag. They fit in the back pocket, one each side, and are ~300 calories of real food. My saving grace at triathlon X (I'm usually out for 19:30 on those, BOP).

However, eating a full one is a tad much for the system so I use a few Maynards winegums as pudding. Pure sugar, gives the energy boost while the body processes the heavier stuff and I have no downtime on energy by doing that.

To top that up, in T2 (~10 hours in) I have a large freeze bag of pasta salad with veg (peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes) and a bit of olive oil. Again, can't go bad. I eat that while walking the first part of the run, but you'd have to sit down for that.

Lastly, have some kind of reward at set points, e.g. every 100k. A favorite choc bar or something. Give yourself a pat on the back, it works wonders.

Although you probably knew most of that already. Smile

Good luck!

And let's know how it goes. I've got about half of that end of the month with 180k and ~5k vert as part of a tri. Interested in hearing your feedback on that one.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Bagels with cheese (no butter) are great.

I cannot imagine eating a Bagel without a moist filling. Don't they require about 500ml of fluid just to digest one Very Happy
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

I cannot imagine eating a Bagel

FTFY
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now it is due to rain all night and all day too.....

Adding hot soup to my list
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
And now it is due to rain all night and all day too.....

Adding hot soup to my list

Get a soup with something like pearl barley in it as well. That near on saved me at the Arc this year! Doubled up with some lovely bread roll and heaps of butter to dunk!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: