Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New old watch - recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: New old watch - recommendations Reply with quote

Hi folks

For some weird reason, after doing literally no training for 3+ years, I've had a sudden possible resurgence in mojo. I don't know if this is just some strange conjunction of hormones or planetary alignment, but I'm going to go with it and see if it lasts more than 24 hours.

As a little 'treat' to myself to incentivise getting off my backside and going for a run, I'm going to treat myself to a new training watch.

I can't afford one of the latest generation offerings, so looking at something that was the 'dog's wotsits' maybe 2/3 years ago. (My last watch was the Garmin Forerunner 305).

I need HR, GPS and ideally ANT+ for the bike. So basically a triple-sports watch that I could feasibly use in a race as well.

Any recommendations?

Budget is open but obviously not several hundred quid...

Ta.

My 15 minutes of fame
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Garmin 910XT, that was pretty good, and now have a Garmin 935, which is excellent, however, the 920XT is a very good watch by all accounts, and probably better than the Garmin 735, which has a short battery life
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check those out.

One thing I forgot to mention, my eyes have become terrible since I used to train and to avoid the issue of glasses when I'm training ideally the display should have a big/clear screen!

My 15 minutes of fame
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

920 is excellent. I have tried to talk myself into upgrading to the 935 but I just can't find a reason. Its a significant step up from the 910 as well, mainly in terms of ability to add connect iq data fields, and for pool swimming. It's so much better than the 910 there (not that the 910 failed to count properly, but the rest screen and drill mode make a big difference).

You can pick up a second hand 920 for pretty cheap now
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I had a 910 and now have a 920 and it is excellent
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the 935 Tri bundle but it's 500 quid😤

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 735xt

I can't honestly think of any function I want that this doesn't have.

It is insanely small and light, so much so it feels a bit too toy-like!

It's a big bundle of notes less than the 935.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 920 is a good watch, but it'll still set you back a couple of hundred on eBay in most cases! The barometric altimeter is now fried on mine (s/h on fleabay - worked for the first 18 months I had it), and this has been a common issue on 920 over the years. Garmin kit can be very glitchy in my experience.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Yes, the 920 is a good watch, but it'll still set you back a couple of hundred on eBay in most cases! The barometric altimeter is now fried on mine (s/h on fleabay - worked for the first 18 months I had it), and this has been a common issue on 920 over the years. Garmin kit can be very glitchy in my experience.

It's this reason that i'm starting to wonder about Suunto when it comes to watch upgrade time. I've probably got another couple of years left on my 230, though it has required a full factory reset about every 9 months when it decides to go wonky, so may not last that long.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue with 735 is battery life, depending on usage. If you aren't going full distance, or are happy to record a full in parts (swim = watch, bike = bike gps, run = watch), then it's a good device for a "current" model.

Still think the 920 is the best deal. Most people are selling it for 150ish, often with HR monitor, in the various fb groups and within my club. That seems to be the going rate person-to-person, with no ebay fees to consider.

As for flakiness, maybe I've just been lucky. I had an altimeter issue on the 910 (which Garmin replaced for free) and no issues in over 2yrs with the 920.

Ultimately, if the altimeter goes, I'm not too fussed. You can correct elevation on all the logging platforms anyway, and elevation gain / gradient is not something I care about on my watch.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least the altimeter can't fail on the 735, it doesn't have one! The only palpable difference between that and the 935 apart from battery life. Barometric altimeter might be useful for trail running, but if you are road cycling and running, then the GPS altimeter data is going to be fine.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

735 is quoted at 14-16 hour...that's enough for me over long course?

Ok I haven't tested it yet in an actual Ironman, but the battery seems to last extremely well, I tend to forget to charge it more than anything as it always seems to just have life in it.

I would be very surprised if it didn't last a 13-14 hour IM Especially if you use a HR Strap

PS I got it last Black Friday for <200 with a few HR Straps included, they are still sealed in the box as the wrist-based seems fine for most applications.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
735 is quoted at 14-16 hour...that's enough for me over long course?

Ok I haven't tested it yet in an actual Ironman, but the battery seems to last extremely well, I tend to forget to charge it more than anything as it always seems to just have life in it.

I would be very surprised if it didn't last a 13-14 hour IM Especially if you use a HR Strap

PS I got it last Black Friday for <200 with a few HR Straps included, they are still sealed in the box as the wrist-based seems fine for most applications.

Interesting. I knew it was quite a bit below the 900 series watches, and all the people from my club do the watch-bike gps-watch approach if they have it. But you are right that the stated battery life "should" therefore be enough if you aren't struggling to make the cutoff.

I'd test real world if you do ever go long. I got 14hrs out of my 920xt (100 mile ride in c6hrs, then left it on the windowsill). In Copenhagen I finished with only about 16% battery life left from memory ... I had it fully charged, turned everything off (bluetooth, glonass, activity tracking, backlight, etc), and didnt actually turn the watch on until 15 minutes before the start. I think it would have struggled past 12hrs, and the 920 is meant to go up to 24.

From what I understand, it makes quite a bit difference once you start connecting HR monitors, power meters, connect iq fields, etc.

My battery life could well be battery deterioration with aging. Although that is of course very pertinent if you are buying second hand.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, re: battery life.

There are things you can do to stretch the battery life out, life turn off wifi, bluetooth, other background apps - after the last update on my watch, the backlight now comes on when I turn my wrist to look at the watch mid-run. Cool, but not very battery efficient.

A recent watch from Suunto? set up battery modes so you could have high/medium/low settings and didn't have to adjust each individual setting manually if you need to stretch the life. Seems like such a simple idea for the times you have forgotten to charge it.
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Have you checked the altimeter hole is clear?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: