Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
70.3 World Champs Pro race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, i didn't expect Frodo to dominate on the ruyn like that. I thought he was going to win, but having put some time into Gomez prior to T2.

Was well impressed with how Brownlee dug in and held on for 2nd, shows that in the longer distances you just odn't know what's going to happen up in front of you, so you've got to be ready to pounce on anyone's suffering e.g. Gomez!

AB's interview was quite funny. Such a fierce competitor and he knew (with a wry smile) that his tactics were naiive and didn't work out. Still, if he ever gets himself properly fit, then he's gonna be a beast!!!

Was really happy to see Lucy running a PB and biking well as others have said. Ryf did drop her early on, but then dropped her chain and the two came back together for the rest of the race. Wonder if momentum would've shifted had Ryf build that little buffer and gone on from there.

Haug's run was pretty epic as well after hanging in on the bike!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out for a ride, just as AB was breaking away up that hill (with Kanute). Did the others bridge back to him early on?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I went out for a ride, just as AB was breaking away up that hill (with Kanute). Did the others bridge back to him early on?

I think i turned it on just after, and the way they were commentating was that he was pretty much caught immediately. Certainly wasn't anything significant.

Funny how AB described the 'boredome' of being 3rd or 4th wheel as basically freewheeling! Not a position he is used to finding himself in!!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodo's run was a huge surprise and whilst this means it was an epic race on Sunday Kona looks a bit duller all of a sudden. This after his 2:39 in Frankfurt it's quite clear he has the run even if he's at T2 alongside Lange etc. And he won't be, he'll be up the road. He has it all covered barring something unexpected.

Other thoughts:

The day 70.3 racing came of age? Was going to watch bits and do other stuff but was utterly gripped from the start and didn't move...

Oddly sloppy race from Brownlee, seemed to mess up the swim start, wasn't pinching seconds in Transition. I think the bike surges and the early run surge were his play for a win - they didn't come off but probably worth a go. Love to see him stay with long course, has the tools to challenge Frodo if fit. The Nice course will be made for him if they can stick a climb in.

Gomez - whispered his way to T2 but definitely looked to be hanging on and that won't be enough over 112 in Kona. Will run himself top 5 but podium out of reach.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona will have more 'forces' at play though: Sanders, Kienle & Wurf. It should be a belter.

Is Joe Skipper doing Kona? Just a shame he hasn't been able to raise his swim like LS has. With his run, if he could only get into that Biker pack for the swim.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB broke but never had more than 10-15m on Frodo then when they turned at the top of the hill Frodo came flying down the hill and took him on the bend when AB took a drink and he didnít. He pretty much extended slowly on AB from there but JG caught Frodo then cramped.

I was VERY surprised that AB took an extra 5-10 seconds in T2 trying to locate his bag. He was fastest through apart from that and would have run out with Frodo shoulder to shoulder which may have changed his tactics but he then had to chase down and subsequently went past him.
If they come out together and run together it would have been a lot more interesting.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Kona will have more 'forces' at play though: Sanders, Kienle & Wurf. It should be a belter.

Is Joe Skipper doing Kona? Just a shame he hasn't been able to raise his swim like LS has. With his run, if he could only get into that Biker pack for the swim.

Yeah pretty sure he is. But he went on some mad 3 LD races in 4 weeks or something to get qualified. So not sure how that'll affect his chances? He's been out at altitude for the last 3 weeks or so according to the interwebs, so hopefully he'll be able to build and peak again. haven't heard or seen much about McNamee after his 3rd last year. Can't see that happening again though.

I know there's a lot more at play in Kona, but i just can't see past Frodo. He knows the games that will be played, he's stupidly strong across all three and he'll be ruthless in his strategy execution.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and i agree with you there TRO.

I was trying to get my little one ready for the day, but secretly letting her do whatever she wanted (much to my wife's consternation) whilst walking around with the stream on my phone! I had to watch it all to the end before i was going to leave the house!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Been following Joe Skipper on Strava, he has been in the Pyrenees for last 3 weeks, he is not taking it easy judging by the number of KOMs he has been taking on the run and rides.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Skipper is going Kona and he is heavily raced - think it will be the season's 5th full distance race which is some schedule. If only Brownlee was as resilient...

Just hope he gets on a decent train as it's a long day for him otherwise riding solo which has cost him out there before.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe needs to chase the paydays, hence why he did Roth I guess; then backed that up with Bolton & Hamburg iirc. He must have got a few quid from those 3 results (2/1/2).
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Joe needs to chase the paydays, hence why he did Roth I guess; then backed that up with Bolton & Hamburg iirc. He must have got a few quid from those 3 results (2/1/2).

So just the 1 full distance then....my bad...Laughing Laughing
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

So just the 1 full distance then....my bad...Laughing Laughing

You should be in the Challenge marketing dept Very Happy
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a bit gutted to have missed this but I was racing at Helvellyn and working Saturday.

1:06 is an awesome run, and either AB has been sandbagging or in better shape than we think although I suspect he's got more to come if he gets a bit more running in, maybe a bit of naievety as well from his ITU days where he could gun the first 6k to drop the field and hang on.

Some excellent A\G performances as well, I know conditions were different but didn't the M35 winner nearly go sub 4?
Jeff
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Was a bit gutted to have missed this but I was racing at Helvellyn and working Saturday.

1:06 is an awesome run, and either AB has been sandbagging or in better shape than we think although I suspect he's got more to come if he gets a bit more running in, maybe a bit of naievety as well from his ITU days where he could gun the first 6k to drop the field and hang on.

Some excellent A\G performances as well, I know conditions were different but didn't the M35 winner nearly go sub 4?
Jeff

4:01:39. Chris Standidge from Chester.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: