Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Are you interested in the Pro lifestyle?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Are you interested in the Pro lifestyle? Reply with quote

I was having a little think today at work, which is dangerous and out of character for me.

How much do you value the opinion of a pro, or find "a day in the life of" useful? Some of the training sessions or weekly plans seem so out of reach, are they purely interesting from a "WOW" point of view?

How much do you think professional athletes know/understand about their training, diet etc or do you think that it's all down to coaches?
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you interested in the Pro lifestyle? Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I was having a little think today at work, which is dangerous and out of character for me.

How much do you value the opinion of a pro, or find "a day in the life of" useful? Some of the training sessions or weekly plans seem so out of reach, are they purely interesting from a "WOW" point of view?

How much do you think professional athletes know/understand about their training, diet etc or do you think that it's all down to coaches?

I think it will vary as it does at AG, possibly not quite as much.

Matt Hanson for instance has a PHD is Sports Science or similar. He is still coached but I bet he understands the 'what & why' better than most.
There will be athletes that just hit the session, load it up and refuel - because they are told to.

I'm interested in it because I'm a numbers stats geek and like to know how and why - my problem is that I don't train anywhere near enough to back my knowledge up Sad
I know a lad who is doing quite well now after 4 years of tri and he couldn't tell you what groupset, chainset, cassette he has. Or what his FTP means, or what a CTL is. He gets his plan, hits his zones and goes to work.

I value the opinion of the Pro dependent on their history and knowledge. I love reading about their training - physical & mental, thought processes etc.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you interested in the Pro lifestyle? Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

I occasionally ride with Emma Pooley, she clearly has done a lot of research herself throughout her career and often criticizes some professional coaches.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you know about your job?

I know a lot about mine. I have lived and breathed it for years. My livelihood depends on it. I know in detail all the nooks and crannieses, short cuts, pitfalls and best practices. this is professionalism. Suspect it is the same with pro athletes.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
How much do you know about your job?

I know a lot about mine. I have lived and breathed it for years. My livelihood depends on it. I know in detail all the nooks and crannieses, short cuts, pitfalls and best practices. this is professionalism. Suspect it is the same with pro athletes.

... but on th other hand (playing devil's advocate) is their job not to execute training, understand race strategy and deliver results? Does a train driver know how the train works, how to fix it etc?

I like reading stuff from pros. Some accounts on the various platforms are just brand and product placement, that gets tiring, but others offer genuine insight. Some of the blogs i have been reading that seem refreshingly honest (at least to me, they may just be propoganda! haha) are Cem Wurf and Braden Currie. Think the antipodean psyche lends itself to that sort of open and honest dialogue. I reecntly pinched a 5km work out from Currie's blog.

I'd like to see more about the sessions that they do and try to use that in my own training, obviously relatively reduced to fit my pathetic level of fitness! Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horses for courses here...some will want to learn, other will just want to be directed...

not sure there is evidence that either is better, but i know the one I prefer...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title is slightly misleading, perhaps? I took it to mean, would I be interested in living the pro lifestyle. The answer to that is, no not really. Making your hobby your job often takes the joy out of it.

I think Sutton's athletes all just get on with what he tells them to do; almost as if they were horses or something.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
horses for courses here...some will want to learn, other will just want to be directed...

not sure there is evidence that either is better, but i know the one I prefer...

I'm with this. i look at my job helping the athlete to help themselves. If they cant generally coach themselves after a while then i have failed. I will often go to a coached session with the ideas but ask the athletes what they think we should be doing that day to help them.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Your title is slightly misleading, perhaps? I took it to mean, would I be interested in living the pro lifestyle. The answer to that is, no not really. Making your hobby your job often takes the joy out of it.

I think Sutton's athletes all just get on with what he tells them to do; almost as if they were horses or something.

According to Chrissie Wellington, the first thing that Sutton does is to cut off the athletes head. I think that his whole approach is based on unquestioning and unthinking dedication, ultimately this is what lead to Chrissie switching coaches
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think why Sutton, in particular, would want to install a mind-set in his athletes where they would do exactly what he said unquestioningly Idea
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Can't think why Sutton, in particular, would want to install a mind-set in his athletes where they would do exactly what he said unquestioningly Idea

Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
JaRok2300 wrote:

Very Happy

you speaketh the unspoken....

Laughing

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
the first thing that Sutton does is to cut off the athletes head.

Probably did the same with the horses. I wonder if he keeps a stash of Ketamine.
awildt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the OP, it was during David Millar's last film that it hit home. It's an office and everyone is a bunch of colleagues.

So based on that you've got all the characters of a work team, those that want to know everything and have to get all the data. Those that only care about doing their job and only take the details they need for that. Those that do more, those that do less. It's like any work scenario. Come together for some key meetings (races), but ultimately spend a lot of time in their home office doing what they need to do to reach their targets.

All work teams need the different characters to balance it out, some more interesting than others.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:

Have I accidentally logged into ST?
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: