Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Felt IA discs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Felt IA discs Reply with quote

Looks nice.....anyone got any further info? Dealers etc?

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like. This is the beginning-of-the-end for all you disc brake haters Very Happy Wink
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this and that Wilier Turbine make discs look pretty good imo.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt IA discs Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
Looks nice.....anyone got any further info? Dealers etc?

What spec level is that bike? A TT bike without deep rim wheels always looks a bit odd to me.
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea what 'number' IA it will be and I cannot make it out on the image. The wheels are OK, a few hundred s worth by the look of things but IO tend to agree. I guess most people dropping this sort of on a new tt bike have their wheels already?

Does anyone have any other pics at all, I like what I'm seeing!!!
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
I guess most people dropping this sort of on a new tt bike have their wheels already?

Generally I'd agree, but if you are going disc for the first time (which many people buying this bike probably will), you won't have a nice set of race wheels from your existing bike to use on the new bike.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get that image off ST? I googled the bike, and a link to an ST thread came up...but the thread is removed. Somebody got a wrist slapping perhaps, as Felt don't want images released pre Interbike or Kona:?:

I have a feeling these early disc TT bikes will be rather expensive for a few years yet. The Wilier and the QR PR6 are very expensive bikes (7k plus full build). I have a set of 41mm Reynolds Assaults on my Canyon, they would be a good start on a lower spec disc TT bike; then I could buy a disc or deeper back wheel when funds allow.

I think Canyon will bring out a disc Speedmax soon, and that will also force Treks hand with the Speed Concept.
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my eternal shame I did. I don't frequent ST much although I do go and people watch there a little...just to see the smoke coming off the keyboards you know?

I've not seen any other images - thought this one looked quite official and was apparently posted by a dealer so thought it might be a bit more legit.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Did you get that image off ST? I googled the bike, and a link to an ST thread came up...but the thread is removed. Somebody got a wrist slapping perhaps, as Felt don't want images released pre Interbike or Kona:?:

If it's like my experience with bike companies and new products then Felt probably released advanced photos of the bike to dealers and sponsored athletes with a strict embargo for the release date. Then when zero hour arrives they expect everyone to hit social media at the same time to promote the new product and build a buzz around it.

If someone has let the photos out early then they'll be in big trouble Wink
jayski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of get it when it is a whole new bike, like the P5X (although that is now a PR disaster) but this looks to just be an adaptation of a several year old frame so nothing massively 'new'.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
I kind of get it when it is a whole new bike, like the P5X (although that is now a PR disaster) but this looks to just be an adaptation of a several year old frame so nothing massively 'new'.

But we're pretty much at 'peak aero' with traditional double-diamond bikes, so the 'advances' now are braking, and probably further down the line - better aero integration of disc brakes and storage.

I think it's widely held that Trek have struggled to better the Speed Concept, hence why they haven't released a new one. Disc brakes will change that of course; but like the Felt, I wouldn't expect it to look very different.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jayski wrote:

But we're pretty much at 'peak aero' with traditional double-diamond bikes, so the 'advances' now are braking, and probably further down the line - better aero integration of disc brakes and storage.

I think it's widely held that Trek have struggled to better the Speed Concept, hence why they haven't released a new one. Disc brakes will change that of course; but like the Felt, I wouldn't expect it to look very different.

I suspect the release will come with claims of improved aerodynamics that are made possible by the use of disc brakes over rim brakes. Differences will be subtle, but I doubt if it's just a case of bolting some disc brakes onto an existing frame.

Felt will be claiming improvements all round that mean you'd be a fool not to ditch your 2018 bike and buy a new one Wink . It's not just about the improved stopping power
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The claim with road bikes, was that removing the front brake on the Fork Crown made it more aero, because the crown can be much lower. That doesn't really make any difference with the integrated front-end TT bikes though. It does mean that you can easily access the brakes again though!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do a Google search for Felt Triathlon Disc, this is what comes up, however, click on the link and page is not found

It appears that there was something on the Felt web site, but it was taken down
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little down arrow next to the URL is your friend to access the cached version of the webpage...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: