Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM 70.3 Weymouth
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: IM 70.3 Weymouth Reply with quote

Anyone doing it this year? I decided to enter this year as I have to be back in the UK that week anyway, and my parents live on the sea front about 200m from transition area. Since I now live in Switzerland, I am not used to poor roads, wind or sea swim, and lets hope that the locals don't try to sabotage the cycle route
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I have accommodation booked, but which I can cancel up to 2 days before. I still haven't entered. Aiming to see how another week of recovery goes after Copenhagen.

It's slightly frustrating they still haven't announced the number of slots. I know last year at 75 was unusually high, but if it was as low as 30 then I'm really not sure there's any chance of me qualifying.

I did it in 2016, where I completely overdid the bike and crashed and burned on the run, so hoping I can go quite a bit faster if I did race.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I'm doing this. Did the first back in 2016 when it was a simultaneous full and half and nabbed a Chattanooga slot.

Nice will be much tougher to Q for; not as much rolling down at Dun Loughaire (sp?) as previous years so I think something around top 10 in AG will be needed to have a decent shout. Certainly none of the 'hands up if you want to go' roll downs as for South Africa.

Useful to know the number of slots, 75 again would be nice...or Nice...
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Aussie mate doing it, so I might go and watch.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: IM 70.3 Weymouth Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Anyone doing it this year? I decided to enter this year

Pointless me doing it, as I'm not able to poach your M45 Slot until next year. What's your 2019 schedule looking like? Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd be assuming top 10 at the very least. Which I've never remotely achieved at a IM branded event before. Based on last years results, that would be sub-4:50.

I have done a 4:39 before, but the Cotswold 113 is an easier course, and Weymouth bike is 2k long from looking at my 2016 data. Shocked 4:40 would be needed for top 5 in my AG based on 2017.

Not really sure such a result is feasible to be honest, but if there are 50 slots as one local website seems to imply, it's probably worth a shot if I feel recovered. I think I can feasibly swim and run in the 2hr range, so then it's just whether I can knock 10-15 minutes off my 2016 bike time.

Looking at the start list (last updated 07/07/18, so ages ago), there were already entrants in every category in both M and F down to 70-74. That's 22 slots taken up immediately. I've only just clocked this, so odds for me are super long already.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I have done a 4:39 before, but the Cotswold 113 is an easier course,

Only a 4:39 on that course? pffff
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

All about full distance times Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

All about full distance times Cool

You should get a tattoo Laughing
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago when I looked it said 40 slots were available (75 last year), however, currently there is no information, so I assume that they are revising the number.

I think that there were 40 slots and some Army slots

Jorgan, my 2019 plan is to stop chasing dreams and to stop being ruthlessly exploited by IM in order to chase those dreams (I suspect plan will fail and I will naively continue to chase KQ dreams)
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted on the homepage for the event it now says...

"IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth offers 50 qualifying slots for the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Nice, France."

So 50 it is. With 22 slots taken up by the winner of each AG entered, and a minimum of 11 slots going to F categories, it's looking fairly tough*. Only 20 AG's had starters last year, so it's immediately a bit more spread.

Taking a simple 2/3's weighting of last years allocation, that would have M30 with c5, M35 and 40 with 6-7 and M45 with 6. They're traditionally the largest AG's. That's probably as generous as it could get, as it would only leave c8 further slots to be allocated to the other AG's after AG winners.

*When I say tough, I mean for someone like me. Clearly, events with only 30 slots would be significantly more difficult.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan, my 2019 plan is to stop chasing dreams and to stop being ruthlessly exploited by IM in order to chase those dreams (I suspect plan will fail and I will naively continue to chase KQ dreams)

What's your IM PB to-date? Maybe aim for sub-10 as an interim goal, because let's face it, a KQ is on the other side of that.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

"IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth offers 50 qualifying slots for the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Nice, France."

So 50 it is. With 22 slots taken up by the winner of each AG entered, and a minimum of 11 slots going to F categories, it's looking fairly tough*. Only 20 AG's had starters last year, so it's immediately a bit more spread.

Taking a simple 2/3's weighting of last years allocation, that would have M30 with c5, M35 and 40 with 6-7 and M45 with 6. They're traditionally the largest AG's. That's probably as generous as it could get, as it would only leave c8 further slots to be allocated to the other AG's after AG winners.

*When I say tough, I mean for someone like me. Clearly, events with only 30 slots would be significantly more difficult.

That's quite tough. I think it was 50 for my 2016 event - although it MAY have been 40 - fairly sure we got 4 in M45-49 and I got the 3rd one with a 7th AG finish, then IIRC another rolled into M45 right at the end.

I doubt Nice will go as far - also looks a bit more feisty at the top end now as my time was 5:03 on a perfect racing day.

Good luck - you can only give it your best lash and then go to roll down just in case.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
stenard wrote:

That's quite tough. I think it was 50 for my 2016 event - although it MAY have been 40 - fairly sure we got 4 in M45-49 and I got the 3rd one with a 7th AG finish, then IIRC another rolled into M45 right at the end.

I doubt Nice will go as far - also looks a bit more feisty at the top end now as my time was 5:03 on a perfect racing day.

Good luck - you can only give it your best lash and then go to roll down just in case.

http://www.220triathlon.com/news/ironman/just-100-spots-left-for-ironman-703-weymouth/11212.html
That says there was only 30 slots in the first year, and that article was published only about 6 weeks before the race.

You are correct that my AG (M30-34) seems to have got a bit punchier over the past 2 years.
2016 - won in 4:41, 5th in 4:50, 10th in 5:03
2017 - won in 4:27, 5th in 4:39, 10th in 4:48

It rolled to 19th last year in my AG per the slots spreadsheet, but that was with 8 slots and the WC in SA. With fewer slots, and a European WC, no way can I see it getting past top 10.

Thing is, I AG up next year, and if anything it gets a little harder. One of the reasons I want to give Weymouth a bash if at all feasible
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope to be at weymouth already got my slot
Wink

had a choice for either SA or NICE or both Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: