Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM 70.3 Weymouth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlton89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:
charlton89 wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Just got email from Ironman, who say at this stage, given the forecast wind direction, a full swim is planned.... should be an epic race against the elements

I will probably go with 40 front and 80 rear (I've not got anything smaller for the front)

Yep I just got the mail as well. I have a feeling that if the swim is rough we may see some people getting hauled out during it, its happened before when its been rough.

As you say its shaping up to be an epic race against the elements, if im honest im just glad its a 70.3 and not a full, a full in that weather would be pretty miserable!

Have any of you chaps actually ridden in 40-50mph winds (let alone on a TT bike) or run in 50-60mph winds?

I guess IM have to put a brave face on it now, and ultimately put some sort of race on, otherwise they may be going down the refund route.

I can see the swim actually being the safest part but the bike inparticular has serious accident potential: 2000+ riders, big wind with gusts and rain. And then running down the seafront probably dodging bins and other bits of tumbleweed coming at you.

I'm actually entered for this, and trust me I don't consider myself to be risk-adverse, but looking at the forecast (which appears to get worse each day) I can see some people being seriously injured.

I'm leaving it til Saturday morning to make a decision to race or not but based on what I'm looking at now self-preservation is kicking in.

No I haven't ridden my bike in 40-55mph winds before and certainly not the TT bike. Of course its a bit of a concern but from looking at the forecast it looks to me like Weymouth itself may well be very windy but get off the coastal part and it wont be so bad. There are some fairly exposed parts on bike course a bit later on, including those fast descents. I will be taking a view on things as and when I get to it. If its very dicey with a cross wind I will just take it that bit easier on the section. Its hard to envisage what its going to be like to be honest so ill just take it as it comes.

With the run im not too worried, it was 40mph winds where I live yesterday (I live in Felixstowe so on the coast line) and I went for a tester run alongside the sea, it wasn't that pleasant but it was OK.

For sure I think the bike will be the section with the biggest potential of injury, I guess you have to try and be as sensible as you can on the course and not just go for speed the whole way through when its clearly unsafe. Lets see what Sunday brings
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast on Sunday should just be a suck-it-up pill washed down with a glass of MTFU Very Happy Wink
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks f**king windy to me for the bike and run! [/img]
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Breakfast on Sunday should just be a suck-it-up pill washed down with a glass of MTFU Very Happy Wink

More like a suck it over the falls pill.
charlton89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:

Looks f**king windy to me for the bike and run! [/img]

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gbyrbjgrk#?date=2018-09-23

Depends on where you check, MET office is more updated and looks much kinder, its been changing all the time.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years of experience windsurfing here is that it is very rarely as windy as forecast. Also Met office do tend to be more accurate. BBC no longer use met office to provide their forecast (too expensive)

Run will be fine, mostly sheltered, Bike should have a tail wind at start and uphill section along A343, there will be a ton of small branches on the road after 10km where the ride goes through a pretty woody area - could be big puncture issues, and will be very slippery if wet.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velo South now cancelled for Sunday due to weather.

https://www.velosouth.com/rider-info/weather-update/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a grind riding into work this morning, and it's picking up through the day. Should be quite a tailwind home!
snowie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that was a day & event to be remembered.

swim shortened to 900+mtr
bike very very wet. ive never seen so many competitors sat on the side of the road.there seemed to be a lot who had punctured, quite a few 'fall offs' & also a lot of very cold competitors who had not dressed for the conditions & had quit the day.
the run, nice & pleasant considering turned out quite sunny.

my only complaint was the one hour wait in the pouring rain & wind to get into transition to rack etc
charlton89

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly was a challenging day. The first 90 mins on bike was horrendous. I did have a jacket on but i was still so cold, couldn't stop shivering. Once the pouring rain stopped it got better. I think the majority if people who were on the sides were looking for shelter or jumping in heated cars that the Marshall let then use. Also T2 was like walking into an a and e department! People laid down with foil blankets and warm drinks all over the place. Absolutely some people underestimated the conditions in just a tri suit and no gloved... Also with that much rain always high risk of punctures.

I was a bit disappointed swim was shortened as it seemed ok to me although maybe it would have got worse later on.
snowie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the swim was shortened because of the visibility with the rain.

most organisers would have cancelled the event but top marks go to IM for making the event happen
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what an event. They explained at the prize giving that the swim was shortened because conditions were deteriorating, if the swim was left as normal length, the last competitors would be swimming in from over 700m out to sea, into a 30mph+ head wind with driving rain and poor visibility, apparently authorities wanted to cancel the swim altogether. Even with the 950m swim, 40 people were "extracted"

I didn't bring any warm clothes, the latest forecast I saw was for wind, however, the ride was 9 degrees according to my Garmin, I had a long sleeve ruinning top under my tri-suit.

After a really crap swim, I had an amazing bike (trying to work hard to stay warm) and finished in 2h39m, which was 4th in my age group. So many people had punctures, the roads were shocking, with rivers running accross them, stones washed all over the roads, I just count myself really lucky I avoided any mishap. I went on the bike with my mid sized wheels, 66 front and 88 rear, I think that it really helped cut through the head wind, however, had a really terrifying moment on the big downhill, on aerobars at 80kph (my fastest ever recorded speed) when I was hit by a side wind and had a major speed wobble. I also had another moment where there was a left turn at the bottom of a descent, just before Dorchester, where I couldnt slow the bike down, I ended up abandoning the corner, swerved around the marshalls and went straight on then turned around and came back.

I cycled with a visor, which meant that I had no visibility, however, afterwards I spoke to other poeple who said that they didnt use a visor, but the rain driving into their eyes and mud from the road meant that they were even worse off

I was really gutted with my run, I felt so strong after the bike, however, I have been suffering from Piriformis Syndrome for past 4 weeks, and despite feeling strong, my right leg seized up whenever I tried to add some pace. I ran 1h45m but really could have done sub 1h35m. I ended up 15th in my AG, 4h59m, but with 10min faster run it would have been 3rd

When I got to T2, the tent and bike racks were almost empty, so missed the carnage later on

Anyone who feels that a TT bike doesn't need disc brakes should have ridden in Weymouth. Most of the time I was around 40kph with pretty much no braking ability.... It didn't slow me down, but certainly distracted me from thinking about how cold I was

At the prize giving, they said that they had to bring in 2 double deck buses, at the last minute, to take people off the bike course because so many were caught out by the conditions
charlton89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Wow what an event. They explained at the prize giving that the swim was shortened because conditions were deteriorating, if the swim was left as normal length, the last competitors would be swimming in from over 700m out to sea, into a 30mph+ head wind with driving rain and poor visibility, apparently authorities wanted to cancel the swim altogether. Even with the 950m swim, 40 people were "extracted"

I didn't bring any warm clothes, the latest forecast I saw was for wind, however, the ride was 9 degrees according to my Garmin, I had a long sleeve ruinning top under my tri-suit.

After a really crap swim, I had an amazing bike (trying to work hard to stay warm) and finished in 2h39m, which was 4th in my age group. So many people had punctures, the roads were shocking, with rivers running accross them, stones washed all over the roads, I just count myself really lucky I avoided any mishap. I went on the bike with my mid sized wheels, 66 front and 88 rear, I think that it really helped cut through the head wind, however, had a really terrifying moment on the big downhill, on aerobars at 80kph (my fastest ever recorded speed) when I was hit by a side wind and had a major speed wobble. I also had another moment where there was a left turn at the bottom of a descent, just before Dorchester, where I couldnt slow the bike down, I ended up abandoning the corner, swerved around the marshalls and went straight on then turned around and came back.

I cycled with a visor, which meant that I had no visibility, however, afterwards I spoke to other poeple who said that they didnt use a visor, but the rain driving into their eyes and mud from the road meant that they were even worse off

I was really gutted with my run, I felt so strong after the bike, however, I have been suffering from Piriformis Syndrome for past 4 weeks, and despite feeling strong, my right leg seized up whenever I tried to add some pace. I ran 1h45m but really could have done sub 1h35m. I ended up 15th in my AG, 4h59m, but with 10min faster run it would have been 3rd

When I got to T2, the tent and bike racks were almost empty, so missed the carnage later on

Anyone who feels that a TT bike doesn't need disc brakes should have ridden in Weymouth. Most of the time I was around 40kph with pretty much no braking ability.... It didn't slow me down, but certainly distracted me from thinking about how cold I was

At the prize giving, they said that they had to bring in 2 double deck buses, at the last minute, to take people off the bike course because so many were caught out by the conditions

Nice on Matt, 4.59 was a great time. I did a 5.08 in the end although if you had offered me a finish 1 hour into the bike I would have taken it. I was so cold that I thought if I get a puncture I wont be able to change it. I had a decent swim and did 18 mins, a slightly disappointing 2.28 on the bike although I did stop for a few mins to try and open a Powerbar as I was struggling! Im not going to lie, I did consider stopping when the marshall asked if I was OK as I was shaking and shivering a lot, I had a jacket on as well so I felt I was more protected than many others out there! Followed the bike up with a 1.36 run which I was very happy with.

I didn't get any gusts of wind luckily on the bike, I was flying on that last section, a few sections of 40-45 mph, like you I did notice that my brakes were not great! And I decided to wear sunglasses at first to protect eyes but I had to take them off about 10-15 mins in as I couldn't see a thing, so I just struggled along with no eye protection. All in all a bit of a rollercoaster race, freezing cold before the swim even started and it didn't get much better until I was out on the run.

Well done to any that finished, you definitely earned that medal yesterday!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to all of you that finished, and commiserations if you had issues and couldn't! I don't know what Weymouth was like, but here it was really crappy when I went out before 8am, but by lunchtime it was glorious Rolling Eyes

A great piece of kit I can really recommend if you race in weather like that is the Castelli Gabba or Perfetto light; they are tight fitting windstopper jerseys that really keep the elements at bay if you're racing. I also have a Gore Oxygen WS jersey, again great piece of kit for wet/windy spring/autumn races.
charlton89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Well done to all of you that finished, and commiserations if you had issues and couldn't! I don't know what Weymouth was like, but here it was really crappy when I went out before 8am, but by lunchtime it was glorious Rolling Eyes

A great piece of kit I can really recommend if you race in weather like that is the Castelli Gabba or Perfetto light; they are tight fitting windstopper jerseys that really keep the elements at bay if you're racing. I also have a Gore Oxygen WS jersey, again great piece of kit for wet/windy spring/autumn races.

After yesterday im going to take a proper look into those suggestions, I really could have done with it. The jacket I had was windproof but not so waterproof, that meant once wet the inside was staying damp and getting worse so it just added to the coldness. I regretted not wearing something different about 20 mins into the ride! I know conditions aren't always like that but would be good to have something in case it is in future and would also be good to use in training during those tougher months.

And weather was similar to how you've said it, morning was very cold and at times torrential rain, then the rain stopped, come late morning the sun started to show so the run was actually quite pleasant, just a bit breezy but nothing too bad.

Anyways lessons learnt on this one for me that's for sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: