Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM 70.3 Weymouth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work to all those who finished. I'm certainly not disappointed I didnt end up racing! We had a number from our club who were, and they all report back the same. One guy had to stop due to the cold early on the bike, and one of our guys was leading M25 at the first bike checkpoint, only to suffer front and back (significant) flats on tubs that he didn't have the ability to fix, so day over.

We did have two female second places though, and I believe both are off to Nice. So not entirely a disaster for those that went down.
charlton89 wrote:
I did a 5.08 in the end although if you had offered me a finish 1 hour into the bike I would have taken it. I had a decent swim and did 18 mins, a slightly disappointing 2.28 on the bike although I did stop for a few mins to try and open a Powerbar as I was struggling! Followed the bike up with a 1.36 run which I was very happy with.

Are your times right? They add up to under 4:30 (excluding transitions)?
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charlton89




Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Great work to all those who finished. I'm certainly not disappointed I didnt end up racing! We had a number from our club who were, and they all report back the same. One guy had to stop due to the cold early on the bike, and one of our guys was leading M25 at the first bike checkpoint, only to suffer front and back (significant) flats on tubs that he didn't have the ability to fix, so day over.

We did have two female second places though, and I believe both are off to Nice. So not entirely a disaster for those that went down.
charlton89 wrote:
I did a 5.08 in the end although if you had offered me a finish 1 hour into the bike I would have taken it. I had a decent swim and did 18 mins, a slightly disappointing 2.28 on the bike although I did stop for a few mins to try and open a Powerbar as I was struggling! Followed the bike up with a 1.36 run which I was very happy with.

Are your times right? They add up to under 4:30 (excluding transitions)?


No their not right, I meant 2.58 on bike! I would definitely have not been disappointed with 2.28! haha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17747
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
After yesterday im going to take a proper look into those suggestions, I really could have done with it. The jacket I had was windproof but not so waterproof, that meant once wet the inside was staying damp and getting worse so it just added to the coldness.


The difference between the Gabba & Perfetto Light (both S/S) is that the Gabba has full WS membrane inc the back. The Perfetto light has a thick non-membrane (nanoflex)back panel. Also you normally need the next size up in the Perfetto in my experience (M&L in my case). They won't keep you completely dry in torrential rain, but they will keep you warm, especially if you wear it on top of a trisuit.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 637
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:



Nice on Matt, 4.59 was a great time. I did a 5.08 in the end although if you had offered me a finish 1 hour into the bike I would have taken it. I was so cold that I thought if I get a puncture I wont be able to change it. I had a decent swim and did 18 mins, a slightly disappointing 2.28 on the bike although I did stop for a few mins to try and open a Powerbar as I was struggling! Im not going to lie, I did consider stopping when the marshall asked if I was OK as I was shaking and shivering a lot, I had a jacket on as well so I felt I was more protected than many others out there! Followed the bike up with a 1.36 run which I was very happy with.

I didn't get any gusts of wind luckily on the bike, I was flying on that last section, a few sections of 40-45 mph, like you I did notice that my brakes were not great! And I decided to wear sunglasses at first to protect eyes but I had to take them off about 10-15 mins in as I couldn't see a thing, so I just struggled along with no eye protection. All in all a bit of a rollercoaster race, freezing cold before the swim even started and it didn't get much better until I was out on the run.

Well done to any that finished, you definitely earned that medal yesterday!


I think we all earned that one!

I was looking at the puncture carnage, and thinking to myself that if I get a flat I am well and truly screwed, it was too cold even to contemplate a tyre change.

I was cold but not shivering, I went off pretty hard on the bike, to try to keep warm, which worked to some extent

Well done getting to the end, 5:08 is still a pretty good time. I must have crossed you a load of times on the run
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done all.

Long 5:05 for me in the end, 8th AG and about 10 mins off the podium action.

Overall a little disappointed, mainly with the run.

Got very cold in the rain before the swim but once in found it OK for 21 mins ( made it 1150m). Booties were allowed, so swam in those with the idea that I would keep them on for the bike. One of my successes, splashed happily across T1, and had bike shoes on the bike. Id also put a neoprene long sleeved top on.

Having cycled in rain like this before nothing keeps you dry, but neoprene gives you warm and wet, which trumps cold and wet. Think it saved me from the worst on the bike, I was cold but not as bad as some. Chain off and another mech stop, but a reasonable 2:52.

Problem was nutrition: Ive gone really well off mainly dates this year, but its always been warm and the dates nice and soft. Cold made these like bullets and I could barely chew them, and they were sitting in my stomach unabsorbed. I weakened late on the bike.

T2 was unreal. Some huddled in the corner either quit or trying to warm up. Others shouting for help, completely unable to remove clothes/ undo helmet etc. I was just about able to do the necessary.

Out for the run, and planned 7:00 - 7:10 miles were not happening, around 7:30 and GI issues were building. Theres always someone on the run whos sh&t themselves, I always feel sorry for them. Well today it was me....😩. Utterly dreadful experience, ruins the finish too as you just want to get cleaned up. Really fell away after this, you cant stride out, fortunately it was on the last lap. Finished with a 1:39 half marathon.

Lets say this is a race I wont forget any time soon.....
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fruit thief




Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 2735

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro Saracen that sounds like a race to remember Very Happy

Good neoprene tip, what bike top is neoprene?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15973
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha bad luck TRO Poo Poo haha couldve happened to any of us many times but fair play you fessed up

your the first person I've ever heard who's also had the gumption to wear neoprene on a wet bike. Same for me at TriathlonX this year. I also used old neoprene B70 Mk1 sw1mming gloves that are useless for sw1mming in but work With the water when its wet on the bike

Wow Epic day by the sound of it. As a Race, I'd have relished coping with that (better than others) tbh. Anyone not riding on decent Conti GP4000S etc type of tyres may have regretted it!! Exclamation

Fair play Matt, especially with your bike speeds Shocked and good result too Charlton Thumbs Up
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1236

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a bike top, but a surfing item. Think the neoprene is 0.5mm, fits tight so aero and can be worn under wetsuit, very wind proof. Bit of a wrestle to get off, only warning is that its completely unbreathable layer so potentially very hot so really only for days like yesterday.
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15973
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just kept my rash vest (for extra sw1mming warmth) on from the Sw1m! Obvs the potential to overheat if the weather changes tho...

Main lesson to learn for folks is Be Prepared for the Unexpected of the Great British Weather and pack some extra emergency items Just In Case it turns foul unexpectedly. It its S/westerly weather, you should know by now that owt can happen tbh.
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1288
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for finishing everyone, sounds grim, a lad from our running club got a flat after 40 miles but still finished.

TRO, you want to get on slowtwitch, I think there's a thread for that, not pleasant. I've seen a couple F-Pro's with it, usually bright orange and incredibly smelly

+1 for a Gabba or similar top, probably still end up wet but hopefully less hypothermia, also got a similar pair of neoprene gloves to TC, useless for swimming in but good on the bike. Always go prepared.

Did anyone get a Nice place?

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lutterworth1




Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate done Weymouth,hes in one of the older AGs, punctured twice during the bike,he was using tubs,was in a lay-by with another competitor who had pulled out due to the cold, he refused to lend my mate his rear wheel,anyway the farmers wife whos drive they were in invited them in for a cuppa, the chance to use the phone and to get warm, she then offered my mate her sons old, heavy MTB to use, my mate jumped at the chance, it was an old clunker but he got round, finished the bike and the run.

Found out hes been DQ, I asume for outside assistance?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5336
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to all, sounds like a tough day. I did 3hrs mtb at Swinley on Sunday morning, that was bad enough!

I'm still traumatised from IM Wales last year Exclamation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
My mate done Weymouth,hes in one of the older AGs, punctured twice during the bike,he was using tubs,was in a lay-by with another competitor who had pulled out due to the cold, he refused to lend my mate his rear wheel,anyway the farmers wife whos drive they were in invited them in for a cuppa, the chance to use the phone and to get warm, she then offered my mate her sons old, heavy MTB to use, my mate jumped at the chance, it was an old clunker but he got round, finished the bike and the run.

Found out hes been DQ, I asume for outside assistance?

The bold bit would be a DQ for both athletes. Under IM rules, you can offer assistance to another competitor so long as it doesnt mean you couldn't have continued the race yourself. They cover this at every briefing.
Tubes/co2/patches/nutrition/etc = fine
An entire wheel = DQ.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charlton89




Joined: 12 Jun 2018
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
lutterworth1 wrote:
My mate done Weymouth,hes in one of the older AGs, punctured twice during the bike,he was using tubs,was in a lay-by with another competitor who had pulled out due to the cold, he refused to lend my mate his rear wheel,anyway the farmers wife whos drive they were in invited them in for a cuppa, the chance to use the phone and to get warm, she then offered my mate her sons old, heavy MTB to use, my mate jumped at the chance, it was an old clunker but he got round, finished the bike and the run.

Found out hes been DQ, I asume for outside assistance?

The bold bit would be a DQ for both athletes. Under IM rules, you can offer assistance to another competitor so long as it doesnt mean you couldn't have continued the race yourself. They cover this at every briefing.
Tubes/co2/patches/nutrition/etc = fine
An entire wheel = DQ.


To be fair there is absolutely no way I would ever lend one of my wheels to a stranger even if I was pulling out...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuckandgo




Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 422

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Its not a bike top, but a surfing item. Think the neoprene is 0.5mm, fits tight so aero and can be worn under wetsuit, very wind proof. Bit of a wrestle to get off, only warning is that its completely unbreathable layer so potentially very hot so really only for days like yesterday.


You have just saved my BallBuster kit decision. I have been trying to work out what to wear on the bike if it's a damp day.

I have exactly one of those, a thin (maybe 0.5 or 1mm) rash vest. Perfect! Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.