Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rise of the E-Bike - at a race near you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the video, but was it distracted pedestrian walks into path of cyclist? I think with the Charlie Alliston case, he was punished for being an unrepentant d!ck (and no brakes), but in any other case, I can't see how pedestrians aren't held responsible for their lack of awareness and disregard for their own safety.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
I was going to add that e-bikes are becoming a menace on my commute too, when this came up - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45497026

The implication is that the "cyclist" in this hit-and-run was on an e-bike.

The fact that the bike was dumped nearby suggests it was stolen perhaps?

Whisk, did you see the video of what happened? From my perspective that can happen to any cyclist. What I can't tell from the video is how quickly the guy was going.

Jorgan, Stolen? perhaps. Derestricted (and so illegal)? perhaps. Concussion and had no idea what happened? perhaps.

No, I've not seen the video, but I did wonder if the guy dumped the bike because he knew it was illegal.

On my commute home last week I saw two young blokes on e-bikes. They were hopping on and off the pavement and going through red lights and then on a straight section of road they just took off. It was a 20mph speed limit, but they were overtaking all the other traffic on the inside and set off the speeding cameras as they went past.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Zurich, we have the opposite situation. ebikes all have a registration plate, and generally stick to the rules (I guess because they can be identified), while a significant minority of bike riders in the city behave like reckless lunatics, for example riding on and off pavements, jumping lights
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
It was a 20mph speed limit, but they were overtaking all the other traffic on the inside and set off the speeding cameras as they went past.

Aren't they (normally) legally limited to assist only up to 25kph in the UK?
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
It was a 20mph speed limit, but they were overtaking all the other traffic on the inside and set off the speeding cameras as they went past.

Yes, but if you remove the limiter they can clearly go a lot faster Shocked
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:

But then they cannot be ridden on the road....

Of course they're not actually limited to 25kph, the assist can only assist to that, you can pedal them faster...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

Of course they're not actually limited to 25kph, the assist can only assist to that, you can pedal them faster...

I expect most of us here can pedal faster than that on the flat.

As I understand it, ebikes use two different assist systems: one that is either on or off and assists when you apply certain torque, and the other is an 'on demand' button?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:

But then they cannot be ridden on the road....

In some places they are limited to 45kph.... great to draft behind, especially when the ebike rider is fairly large
Tigger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Haven't seen the video, but was it distracted pedestrian walks into path of cyclist?

Here's a link to the one in the Sun. I think that there was originally one that showed the crash in more detail but I'm not going to search for it.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pensioner not paying the slightest bit of attention, runs into the middle of the road at a fair speed, and only a couple of yards from a pedestrian crossing with the little red man showing, and runs straight into an electric moped user who is in the middle of the road.

Very sad for the lady involved but the riders only fault was fleeing the scene. If he had stayed with his bike at the place she ran under his wheels, there wouldnt be half the outrage as people would look at where she fell and ask how she managed to get across to that point and under a bike, when there was a red man showing and the traffic lights were green..

The footage is grainy but she doesnt appear to look in either direction - just downwards ?

Last edited by GrahamO on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. It's obviously horrendous that someone has lost their life, and whilst the speed of the bike was clearly much higher than the other bike that goes past further up the road, I'm not entirely sure what the e-cyclist did wrong (with respect to the impact). Clearly fleeing the scene was a big mistake, potentially made in a moment of stupidity, or potentially whilst not thinking clearly due to repercussions of the incident (concussion etc).

But with respect to the actual incident, the pedestrian seems to run straight in front of him? Whether the mode of transport was push bike, e-bike, motorbike, car, whatever, I don't believe a collision was avoidable?

Clearly if the speed the e-bike was going was above that legally allowed, then he could be in trouble for that (on top of fleeing the scene), but as Jorgan says, I doubt he was actually going any faster than a lot of us could go unassisted.

It's the language that troubles me. "Mowed down". Ignoring for a second the devastating consequences of the incident, the e-cyclist hardly mowed the pedestrian down. That kind of language is rather apt at the moment given the press attention on the Westminster Bridge hearings. That was a case of someone mowing down pedestrians. This is simply a tragic case of a pedestrian miscalculating their crossing of the road with tragic consequences.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Moment hit-and-run cyclist leaves female pedestrian fighting for her life after crashing when she tried to cross when lights were green before walking off with his mangled electric-powered bike"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the lights were green for the bike, not the pedestrian - cars in opposite direction are clearly going across the crossing

Most ebikes I have seen have pretty chunky wheels, so to do that much damage must have been a heavy impact.

I struggle to see how this accident was riders fault, I guess there was a reason why he fled the scene
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
"Moment hit-and-run cyclist leaves female pedestrian fighting for her life after crashing when she tried to cross when lights were green before walking off with his mangled electric-powered bike"

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the lights were green for the bike, not the pedestrian - cars in opposite direction are clearly going across the crossing

Most ebikes I have seen have pretty chunky wheels, so to do that much damage must have been a heavy impact.

I struggle to see how this accident was riders fault, I guess there was a reason why he fled the scene

Yep, the cyclist was on green.

I don't know what was going through his head when he fled the scene, even though other people were trying to get him to stay, but maybe he recognised the seriousness of the woman's condition and didn't want to hang around to be the next Charlie Alliston. Ironically, if that was his motive, he's probably sealed his fate and made things much worse for himself.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yep, the cyclist was on green.

I don't know what was going through his head when he fled the scene, even though other people were trying to get him to stay, but maybe he recognised the seriousness of the woman's condition and didn't want to hang around to be the next Charlie Alliston. Ironically, if that was his motive, he's probably sealed his fate and made things much worse for himself.

He was extremely stupid to flee the scene, however, given that the incident was on film, I think that it is very unlikely that he would be found to be at fault for the accident.

However, he should be prosecuted for failing to stop at the scene of an accident. If he fled because the bike was stolen, then he clearly should be prosecuted for that too
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen the latest Bianchi e-bike? Looks completely standard apart from the button behind the stem (which you could easily cover with a nutrition bag).

I'm genuinely interested in how the federations & RDs are going to manage this now; it's only a matter of time before people turn up 'accidentally' not knowing e-bikes aren't permitted, and slipping through the net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: