Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
First TT Bike - Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: First TT Bike - Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all,

following a long time lurking I would like some advice...

After completing a handful of Sprints this season on my 12 year old decathlon road bike, I am interested in purchasing my first TT bike.

I've read a few articles, however there doesn't seen to be a definitive go-to brand or model for £1 - 1.5k.

Do any members have any advice regarding a solid entry level bike?

Cheers,
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome Smile If you want to buy new, I would recommend looking at some of the in-house brands of the big UK online retailers, such as Ribble, Planet X and Dolan. Or there's the Giant Trinity or Felt B14. With the 2019 being released soon, you should find some good deals. If you Google £1500 TT bike, you should also get some good ideas.

As this will be your first TT/Tri bike, you'll want to be able to try before you buy in a shop ideally.
apma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jorgan and thanks for the reply;

I've taken a look and read reviews on the below, Ribble seem the stronger choice but PlanetX cheaper.

Do you know if there is a huge difference regarding build quality?

Cheers,
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apma wrote:
Hi Jorgan and thanks for the reply;

I've taken a look and read reviews on the below, Ribble seem the stronger choice but PlanetX cheaper.

Do you know if there is a huge difference regarding build quality?

Cheers,

A lot of the price differentials come down to components. You could buy a £2k or £4k bike with the same frameset for example, the difference would be the groupset (Di2) & wheels (high end carbon).

You have plenty of time before next season, so I would consider Ebay too. You can get a lot of bike for less than £1500!
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt B16?
http://sprockets.uk.com/sale-felt-b16-tt-triathlon-carbon-2x11-speed-bicycle-rrp-1499/

Itís a design that been around for years!
I almost bought one a couple of years ago,
Then found a second hand Felt S32,
Which is the alloy version.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of the season, should be some good used ones around. TT bikes don't tend to get used that much so you can get a bargain

If looking at new, an entry level Canyon Speedmax is currently 500 Euro reduction and is within your price range

Pretty much any new bike at the price you are looking at will benefit massively from deep section wheels, the good news is that there are tons of very nice second hand wheels around

Are you sure you want a TT bike, in terms of riding enjoyment, consider an aero road bike with clip on TT bars. However, if you are looking to do a triathlon as fast as you can, then a TT bike is the way to go.

At the end of the day, if you get hooked onto this sport, you will end up with many bikes
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Are you sure you want a TT bike, in terms of riding enjoyment, consider an aero road bike with clip on TT bars.

Personally, outside of Tour of Wessex where I had to ride a road bike, I haven't ridden anything other than my TT since about March. I prefer riding it to my road bike. In some respects, I ride it so much, I now even like properly climbing on it.

I'll switch back to the roadie for winter, but that's one of the main reasons I haven't bothered upgrading my roadie. I only end up riding it in poor conditions, and so I don't really want to spend big money on something fancy to then hack around in the winter.

In terms of the OP, I would agree with Jorgan about second hand. I got a Scott Plasma 3, with di2, tririg front brake, and zipp 404 powertap rear wheel, for a little over £2k this spring. You get so much more for your money that way. I didn't even need the powertap*, as I already have power2max cranks, but it was all being sold as a complete set.

*I really need to try and find someone who wants to swap a powertap 404 for a standard 404 (plus a bit of money), as the powertap wheel is just wasted overkill
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Are you sure you want a TT bike, in terms of riding enjoyment, consider an aero road bike with clip on TT bars.

Personally, outside of Tour of Wessex where I had to ride a road bike, I haven't ridden anything other than my TT since about March. I prefer riding it to my road bike. In some respects, I ride it so much, I now even like properly climbing on it.

I have gone the other way. I bought a really nice Canyon Endurace and love riding it; pretty much loathe my TT bike now. If I'd done an Ironman this year, I'd have to been on the TT bike way more. Maybe I need a new TT bike Very Happy
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

At the end of the day, if you get hooked onto this sport, you will end up with many bikes

7 Ironman's, 8 years in the Sport, 10,s of thousands of miles, countless Triathlons, and ...1 Bike!

Planet X Stealth,

She is getting very tired but has done me proud over the years.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

7 Ironman's, 8 years in the Sport, 10,s of thousands of miles, countless Triathlons, and ...1 Bike!

Planet X Stealth,

She is getting very tired but has done me proud over the years.

Seriously, what is WRONG with you?
Wink

+1 for the road bike with TT clip-ons.

and +1 for either going second hand or end of season (ie now) mega bargains on a new bike.

Or do what I did and just get divorced, increase your budget to £4k for a much better bike knowing your ex can't get her hands on the cash equivalent any more.

My 15 minutes of fame
apma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all and thaks for your replies,

I'll keep my eye out for a bargain over the autumn / winter!
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth having a bike fit done as I had a couple of Planet X stealths and loathed every second riding them, just couldnít get comfy, had a fit done and it worked out I needed a completely different size and style frame than I thought I needed and owned.

Got myself a felt after and now absolutely love riding my TT bike and Iím a lot faster because of it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: