Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Trail shoes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Trail shoes Reply with quote

I'm joining the local running club and will probably try my hand at cross country this winter. Also, I prefer to run off-road than on the road in winter so am after a decent pair of trail shoes.

I'm wear cushioned road shoes and have been perfectly happy in Saucony shoes for 5+ years. They have the Peregrine but they don't feel like they have enough cushioning.

Should I forget the cushioning due to softer road surfaces and get them or are there better, more cushioned options out there?

Also the trails I'm on round here are mostly stone and pretty hard stuff so will I need 2 different pairs for XC and normal trails?

Would these suite a typical northern XC course? - https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau3376/saucony-koa-st-trail-running-shoes-~-ss18/
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 'serious' Scottish mountain trails for years in Saucony Peregrines.

The Peregrines very deliberately don't have cushioning as they're from the 'barefoot' running school of thought (the reason I chose them as an off-road evolution from using Vibram 5-fingers on-road).

The whole purpose of the lack of cushioning is to force you into a barefoot gait (with all its advantages) so if you're opting for these you should be sure this is the direction you want to go in (I recommend it). It also does use quite different muscles in your body so you'll also need to adapt your training accordingly (just google barefoot running to get an idea). They're not extreme barefoot shoes but yes, you certainly don't get any artificial spring.

In terms of protection, I find there's plenty enough in these shoes for rocky slopes/paths. Ok you have to be reasonably careful in foot placement and you will get the odd stone knock - but not that much more than in a normal pair of cushioned shoes.

My 15 minutes of fame
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XC courses tend to be parkland style (and muddy Smile ), i.e. rolling/hilly grass predominantly, even up North, so compared to proper off road stuff the main requirement is grip (as opposed to cushioning and protection) I find.

The majority will be wearing spikes, which obviously provide lots of grip but no protection or cushioning.

I've done a few now in Salamon Fellraisers as I was nursing achillies issues, and tbh apart from the weight penalty, I actually seemed to get more grip than others running in spikes, and it makes a huge difference going downhill, as you get grip across the whole sole rather than just the toe (in spikes).

So based on all that, looking at the lugs on the Sauconys you posted, they should do the job on XC I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: