Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
FSA KForce WE - anyone know more about this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: FSA KForce WE - anyone know more about this? Reply with quote

Came up on an online ad - http://we-fsa.com/en/

Didn't know about that eTap "copy". Assume it'll be cheaper but will it be as reliable?

The brake calibers are pretty fugly but hey... Smile

Edit: Found the prices (all RRP)
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 - 1,999
- SRAM eTap - 2,472
- FSA KForce WE - 2,599
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150 - 2,964
- Campag Super Record EPS - 3,650
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shame its not really wireless. Being wired between the RD and FD then to the seat post battery but yet wireless to the shifters just seems like a waste of time.

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be going Etap personally (you can get conversion/upgrade kits for less than 2,5k). Interchangeable batteries if one fails (plus you could carry a spare). No wires. Cleanest system with some redundancy if a battery dies.

I'm still using Shimano mechanical though, as I just find it brilliant on a road bike. For future TT bike use though, Etap would be my choice as per above.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etap definitely appeals, even though I have di2 on the TT and so would likely remain in the Shimano ecosystem if I were to get another bike with electrical gearing.

The other thing that would factor for me is availability of spares. When travelling, loads of people have di2 bits. I take a spare second hand rear mech (along with rear hanger) when travelling with the bike in a bike box. I know loads of people normally have di2 chargers, etc. So if something were to go wrong there's a higher likelihood of getting your hands on a replacement part.

And more generally, loads of shops stock di2 bits or can get them quickly. Getting a rarer form of groupset is going to come back to bite you at some point in my opinion. I think Etap is next in line behind di2, but still a long second. I'm not entirely sold on the blips tbh, but I'm sure they're fine.

The main concern with TT di2 is the lack of two button options in the latest shifter releases. Two button are going to become progressively harder to come by it would seem. I don't understand why Shimano are forcing everyone down a synchro shift option. I have only ever used manual or semi-synchro, both of which require two-button shifters. I really can't see the pro riders wanting to lose the ability to dictate their own shifting either?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I take a spare second hand rear mech (along with rear hanger)

Do you remove the RD from the frame when you use a bike box? I always do that, and use dropout spacers.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
I take a spare second hand rear mech (along with rear hanger)

Do you remove the RD from the frame when you use a bike box? I always do that, and use dropout spacers.

Yep. Removed and bubble wrapped. It's the biggest advantage of di2 - being able to unplug parts and remove them completely for safe storage in the box is so much easier. I genuinely don't think I could pack my TT bike without being able to unplug and remove the arm rests and extensions completely.

I've not been able to find a rear dropout spacer. I have a couple for the front. All the bike shops I've asked have said the bikes they receive don't come with rears anymore.

Main reason for the spare rear mech is simply because of the worry of obtaining a spare in short time if something were to happen on a test ride etc.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I've not been able to find a rear dropout spacer. I have a couple for the front. All the bike shops I've asked have said the bikes they receive don't come with rears anymore.

Apart from the plastic ones I have, I got some Nitto screw fit ones from PX years ago.

What about this:
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/bike-bags-and-boxes/products/condor-frame-spacer
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I could get one of those things. I always remove the chain entirely, so the chain aspect of it is pointless, but it is likely worth it as extra protection. Currently I just fill the dropout/stays gap with things like trainers stuffed with other bits and pieces etc, which at least provides some anti-crush protection.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

Apart from the plastic ones I have, I got some Nitto screw fit ones from PX years ago.

What about this:
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/bike-bags-and-boxes/products/condor-frame-spacer

Another benefit of having disc brakes and through axles is that the through axle can act as a drop-out spacer in transit Wink
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Another benefit of having disc brakes and through axles is that the through axle can act as a drop-out spacer in transit Wink

Uhm, no it can't?

It offers no crush protection since it's loose on the left-hand side. It'll just slide outwards if crushed on the frame.

If the crush is directly on the axle, then yes, but not otherwise.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
The main concern with TT di2 is the lack of two button options in the latest shifter releases. Two button are going to become progressively harder to come by it would seem. I don't understand why Shimano are forcing everyone down a synchro shift option. I have only ever used manual or semi-synchro, both of which require two-button shifters. I really can't see the pro riders wanting to lose the ability to dictate their own shifting either?

Just to reinforce this point, watching the World Champs TT highlights just now, it was noticeable that both Dennis and Dumoulin were using two button di2 shifters after they finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: