Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New [road] bike time...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
the beep my Garmin now gives when you reach the limit (either high or low) on the rear mech. It really isn't worth anything by itself, but it's a useful added little perk.

...or it could just be someone liking your FB status Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
the beep my Garmin now gives when you reach the limit (either high or low) on the rear mech. It really isn't worth anything by itself, but it's a useful added little perk.

...or it could just be someone liking your FB status Very Happy

Haha. I don't have the smart features on my watch or anything like that turned on. On the Edge, it's simply phonecalls so I can see if my phone is ringing in my back pocket.

The interesting thing with the di2 connection is it overrides the main Edge settings. I have sounds turned completely off. Always have. Same on my watch. Yet the di2 connection forces a beep which you can't actually prevent. I was really confused what it was for a little bit.
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bummer... while this deliberation has been going on, Canyon have ended their sale and the bike I was looking at is now ~£400 more expensive (4.5 vs 4.1).

Grrr...

Anyone aware of typical Canyon sale periods?
I might just go to a LBS nearby to see if I can get any decent deal on something similar, just because it annoys me to know I left 10% value on the table...

Smile
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ have you checked the Factory Outlet section?
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and sadly nothing there of interest...
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc. I have also just built a BMC Crossmachine CX01 with Shimano Ultegra R8020 mechanical groupset

I did the Crossmachine build because Evans had a fantastic deal on the frames. The original plan was to swap over the components from my Aluminium GT Grade X…. however, when I got this fantastic looking frame, I decided to raid my bike spares supplies and build up a high spec bike. Specification:

Frame: BMC Crossmachine CX01, 51cm
Groupset: Shimano R8020
Chainset: Ultegra 50/34
Brakes: XTR M9000 calipers, 140mm rear Ice Tech rotor, 160mm front Ice Tech rotor
Cassette: SRAM PG1170 11-36
Wheels: Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon 45mm deep (came with the Canyon)
Tyres: Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm
Saddle Fizik Antares R1
Weight 7.8kg without pedals

Canyon was a Factory outlet model, spec:
Groupset: Shimano 6780 Di2 11 speed
Chainset: Dura Ace 52/36, Stages Power meter (taken off my old bike)
Cassette: SRAM PG1190 11-30
Brakes: Shimand R785 levers and R805 direct mount Calipers and 160mm Dura Ace Ice Tech Rotor
Wheels: Roval 32 CLX
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa Graphine+ 25mm
Saddle: Fizik Antares R00
Weight: 6.9kg without pedals

I was an early adopter of Di2, and have been a massive fan…. However, the latest Ultegra R8020 mechanical groupset is simply fantastic, the benefits of Di2 are incredibly marginal…by going with mechanical, and getting a 33% discount from Evans, the difference in price was around £650….. I only paid £550 for the mechanical groupset

The 8020 levers and XTR calipers are lighter and provide even better brake power and modulation than the setup on the Canyon… that is not to say that the Canyon brakes are bad, they are fantastic, however, the brake setup on the BMC is simply the best I have ever tried.

The difference in speed between the 2 bikes is marginal, but I feel that the Canyon is slightly the faster bike, it has a more aggressive riding position, and the 1kg weight advantage is noticeable on hills (most of the extra weight is in the tyres and wheels)….. However, I have already cycled the BMC off road up a mountain, on gravel tracks, with gradients of up to 25%, that is certainly not possible on the Canyon

The difference in speed is only really relevant if you are doing time trials, riding in a group ride, even in a fast group, you are unlikely to notice a difference in speed

Both Bikes look fantastic, pictures attached

The latest Shimano Groupset, which can handle a 36 tooth cassette (officially max is 34, but it handles 36 totally flawlessly), and sporty frame design as seen on BMC Crossmachine or Canyon Endurace, mean that you can now really have a single bike which does on road, offroad and delivers summer and winter performance.

Finally, with Canyon, watch the Factory outlet. I bought mine in February, with a £1200 discount, it came with full warranty, and to be honest looked almost unused – the marks appeared to be much more prominent in the pictures, on their web site, than they were in reality

dazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc. I have also just built a BMC Crossmachine CX01

Thanks mattsurf.
I thought that the endurance model of BMC is the Roadmachine, not the Crossmachine... interesting option, will take a look at the geometry.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped out the 6800 RD on mine for an R8000; shifting is awesome and it looks good to-boot, with the direct mount. Still using the original BR-R785 hydraulic shifters.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc. I have also just built a BMC Crossmachine CX01

Thanks mattsurf.
I thought that the endurance model of BMC is the Roadmachine, not the Crossmachine... interesting option, will take a look at the geometry.

You are correct, and if you buy a Crossmachine from BMC as a fully built bike it comes with a 1x setup, however, if you buy it as frame only, it has all of the adapters to setup as a 2x, with manual or Di2 (comes with a pack of adapter plates, it is an impressive piece of standardization)

I went with the Crossmachine frame as Evans had a 50% discount on the frame and it would have made a relatively cheap upgrade swapping the alloy frame on my gravel bike, however, when I discovered that it could be setup as 2x I decided to upgrade the groupset as well.... as a result I now have an uneccessarily good bike, as a result, I am selling both my winter bike and gravel bike.

Just had a look at the Geometry (Velologicfit app). The Crossmachine has a lower stack, but slightly slacker angles and longer forks and rear stays to give greater tyre clearance, it can run 33mm nobbly CX tyres
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I swapped out the 6800 RD on mine for an R8000; shifting is awesome and it looks good to-boot, with the direct mount. Still using the original BR-R785 hydraulic shifters.

The R8000 FD is also a substantial improvement, firstly you can adjust the cable length in the FD, rather than using inline adjusters, it is much lighter on the shifter and finally you can use the full range of the rear cassette without any chain rub on the FD.

What I really like about the R8000 RD is the ability to change smoothly under load (which was the biggest advantage for Di2)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

The R8000 FD is also a substantial improvement, firstly you can adjust the cable length in the FD, rather than using inline adjusters, it is much lighter on the shifter and finally you can use the full range of the rear cassette without any chain rub on the FD.

What I really like about the R8000 RD is the ability to change smoothly under load (which was the biggest advantage for Di2)

Okay - I'm sold on the FD now too! Over to ebay, where I got a new RD8000 for £50!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Okay - I'm sold on the FD now too! Over to ebay, where I got a new RD8000 for £50!

£50, I need to get onto ebay to look for an R8000 RD for my tandem
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... in the end I went for the Endurace - still deciding whether to keep it, something is not quite right with the setup that I hope I can resolve with a bike fit. I will refrain from sending a picture until that is sorted...

It does feel great on the road though!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:
So... in the end I went for the Endurace - still deciding whether to keep it, something is not quite right with the setup that I hope I can resolve with a bike fit. I will refrain from sending a picture until that is sorted...

It does feel great on the road though!

Which model did you get?

I had reservations about the integrated stem on my Medium, which is 100m. Sales guy said to give it a go, and they'd swap it for a 110mm if I wasn't happy. As it was, it was fine. The different position sometimes takes a few rides to get used to.
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurace CF SLX 8 - frankly I see absolutely 0 point in going for dura ace, ultegra is just so wonderfully great.
Shame about the colour but my thinking is to just use one of the lovely spray paints to add a few little decals/stripes here and there. may look tacky, but makes it a little special (and different to the seemingly everyone else riding Canyons on the roads these days Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: