Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Kona - Your 2018 picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe should have collected some blue-green algae from Hamburg and deposited it when the water quality tests were done...

Looking back at his 2015/2016 efforts he swum 54 and 57 mins, and the main lead pack were 48 and 52.

Both times it put him in no man's land chasing to make up c2 mins to join the Kienle/uber bike train. Think he raced his race first year, but second he gave chase and popped before bridging

Has the bike-run to go deep into the top 10 if he has guys to work with out of T1, but will need the swim of his life. Might be worth lining up behind Sanders - if his swimming is like his biking and running he'll create a hell of a disturbance in the water to draft in.....

Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trirating have him expected to come out with Sanders: https://www.trirating.com/ironman-hawaii-2018-oct-13th-seedings/

Surprised that they think he'll bike so slow however? I thought he was classed as a strong biker? 15mins off Sanders? Slower even than Lange?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Trirating have him expected to come out with Sanders: https://www.trirating.com/ironman-hawaii-2018-oct-13th-seedings/

Surprised that they think he'll bike so slow however? I thought he was classed as a strong biker? 15mins off Sanders? Slower even than Lange?

Hmm, he is a good biker, but in Roth this year he was well off the pace of Wurf & Kienle: 4:22 vs 4:05 & 4:07. He had the fastest run though. Unfortunately, I think his poor swim means he won't be able to exploit his fast run i.e. if he could swim with a pack, he could ride with them and keep his powder dry for the run - but I fear he'll be chasing from the rear again, and not be a factor.

Really hope I'm wrong though, and he can swim with Sanders & at least catch a lift up to the main bike pack, and 'sit in' from there. GO JOE! Exclamation

ETA - just sent him a very rare Tweet wishing him the best!
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did post a 4.01 at Hamburg and a 4.08 at Bolton so think Roth was an off day
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluepoolshark wrote:
He did post a 4.01 at Hamburg and a 4.08 at Bolton so think Roth was an off day

Bolton was 95 miles, and in Hamburg that was slower than Aernouts & Cunamma, same as Don. His running is still on fire, but his biking seems to have regressed a little; could be because he was doing so many LD races in the summer.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think's he'd had 2/3 bikes this year - lost Guiretti (?) as sponsor, rode his own for a while, recently being dialling in the new Ribble Ultra TT.

Suspect that his disrupted his biking over the year and he's also not been TT-ing as he used to in previous years. Perhaps he felt real gains were in developing Swim/Run even at a little cost to uber-biking.

But he talks confidently about his bike numbers, so probably has a better bike in him than shown lately, but as noted fear is he ends up in no man's land chasing out of T1.

All about the swim....
jayski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Think's he'd had 2/3 bikes this year - lost Guiretti (?) as sponsor, rode his own for a while, recently being dialling in the new Ribble Ultra TT.

Suspect that his disrupted his biking over the year and he's also not been TT-ing as he used to in previous years. Perhaps he felt real gains were in developing Swim/Run even at a little cost to uber-biking.

But he talks confidently about his bike numbers, so probably has a better bike in him than shown lately, but as noted fear is he ends up in no man's land chasing out of T1.

All about the swim....

Guerciotti.

He does have a habit of going through the sponsors. Wonder why? Never met the guy obviously, just seems strange when so many are so settled
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

All about the swim....

Guerciotti.

He does have a habit of going through the sponsors. Wonder why? Never met the guy obviously, just seems strange when so many are so settled

because except at the very top end sponsors arent willing to part with cash anymore. They've got their plastic pro age groupers willing to do multiple weekends for free on trade stands and get on instagram and in clubs with real people plastered in logos for 5% off and a box of out of date gels.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

All about the swim....

Guerciotti.

Kind of related, I heard Skipper on a podcast earlier in the summer talking about his new Ribble TT bike and he said something along the lines of "Before, you think of Ribble as being a bit cr&ppy, but this new tri bike's really good". It did make me laugh, as it's the kind of honest/straight talking answer you come to expect from him, but wondered if the Ribble marketing folk might not be face-palming! Was glad the host quickly corrected him to say that Ribble do make decent bikes Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
They've got their plastic pro age groupers willing to do multiple weekends for free on trade stands, get on instagram and join clubs wearing kit plastered in logos... for 5% off and a box of out of date gels.

In most cases, that replaces the prizes they aren't fast enough to win at the local Sprint Tri.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks
1 Ryf
2 Charles
3 Sali

1 Lange
2 Kienle
3 Gomez
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Kind of related, I heard Skipper on a podcast earlier in the summer talking about his new Ribble TT bike and he said something along the lines of "Before, you think of Ribble as being a bit cr&ppy, but this new tri bike's really good". It did make me laugh, as it's the kind of honest/straight talking answer you come to expect from him, but wondered if the Ribble marketing folk might not be face-palming! Was glad the host quickly corrected him to say that Ribble do make decent bikes Smile

Yep, I was cringing when I heard that too. It was on The Brick Session podcast.

Maybe he isn't polished enough for a lot of sponsors. Ask him a question and he will give you a straight answer, maybe sometimes without thinking? Also not working with a coach and I'm assuming a lot of coaches have certain sponsorship affiliations.

I love his attitude to it, a bit Sanders like but without the #@?# and hype. Go out, get it done, see what works and what doesn't.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Topeak have a pump they'd like him to promote for cash Very Happy

The thing with a lot of the open mould TT bikes, is that you know they've only had 'eyeball' aerodynamics applied. I believe the front brake covers (fairings) on some of them are pretty badly integrated. Of the UK domestic brands that produce TT bikes, I would say Dolan is the one where I'd put my money if it came to it.
Poet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is nobody talking about McNamee?

It's all Skip, Skip, Skip.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Don, Don

( i think it's because Skipper used to frequent this forum quite regularly in the earlier days).

I saw that Pinarello have also released their first Tri specific bike, that Wurf will be riding. It's a more extreme version of their TT bike that Sky use. I'm no bike nerd, so can't actually add to any technical debate ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: