Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Base layers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Base layers Reply with quote

Cycling.

I have rain jackets, winter jackets, long sleeve jerseys, but nothing to wear under a short sleeve jersey for the days it is not too cold.

Do you wear a long sleeve base under a ss jersey or a ss base and arm warmers?

Any suggestions?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm warmers are for when they might be taken off or rolled down, which is very common this time of year where the nights are cold but the sun still has strength.

They are even worn with a long sleeve base layer, not just as a replacement. What is appropriate will depend on your own personal needs.

different weight merino full long sleeve base layers are an important part of dressing appropriately.

So yes.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jim. Looks like a vote for all 3 then!
Hopefully this will be the first winter Iím not completely over layered.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually a s/s base layer with arm warmers but if it's going to be really cold and I know I won't be stripping the arm warmers, I wear a tight Assos l/s base layer. I've found this a good combo for duathlon in winter. Base layer with tri suit over the top.

For road rides that are more casual in winter, I have a Rapha Roubaix l/s top, which gets used a ton and is brilliant (but definitely not aero!)
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Planet X base layers.
Particularly like the s/s variant as it holds my arm warmers in place (my favourite pair are prone to sliding down).
But even the l/s has enough flexibilty if your starting to cook that you can roll the sleeves up. The material is nice and stretchy without being restrictive.

Considering they are in the £10 and under category - I think they regulate heat superbly.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started proper road cycling (5 years ago) I got a couple of long sleeve "Campri" base layers from Sport Direct. They were approx £10 for two I think (it's two for £13 now just checked) but they've been great. I wear them just under a cycling jersey when the temp is starting to get a bit cooler - like this time of year or in the spring. And also I wear under them under my jacket when it gets properly cold. They're still going strong now - would buy another pair if i needed to.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Base layers Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Cycling.

I have rain jackets, winter jackets, long sleeve jerseys, but nothing to wear under a short sleeve jersey for the days it is not too cold.

Do you wear a long sleeve base under a ss jersey or a ss base and arm warmers?

Any suggestions?

At this time of year I prefer to wear a base layer rather than Arm warmers, the base layer keeps your body warmer under a very thin jersey. It makes a surprising amount of difference. At Weymouth 70.3 I wore a really thin base layer under my tri suit, while I would not describe it as warm, I think I suffered much less than most
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I thought I'd cover all bases and went with:

Gilet - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadra-long-gilet/?sku=100236110
Long sleeve base - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-merino-long-sleeve-base-layer-1/?sku=5360752874
Short sleeve base - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-short-sleeve-seamless-base-layer-1/?sku=100284236
Arm warmers - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-thermoflex-arm-warmers-2/?sku=100235789

Was out for 3 hours on Sunday in 6-12 degrees with the short sleeve layer, thin jersey and arm warmers on and was fine. A little cool on the descent Sheep House Lane, which is why I bought the gilet this week.

No excuses for getting out now is there!

Last edited by PCP on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a mavic long sleeve base layer from Keswick MTB in the sale...will report back...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried merino, is it really good? This time of year, if it's chilly in the morning for my ride in, I wear a windstopper Gilet (Sportful Fiandre). Then I can ride home in a jersey. Either that or I use one of my windstopper jerseys with arm warmers (Perfetto Light or Gore Oxygen WS). I only wear a baselayer in proper winter weather, but then I find I tend to 'run hot' compared to most.

Windstopper jerseys though, they are awesome bits of kit; especially for chillier races to whip on after the swim.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Never tried merino, is it really good? This time of year, if it's chilly in the morning for my ride in, I wear a windstopper Gilet (Sportful Fiandre). Then I can ride home in a jersey. Either that or I use one of my windstopper jerseys with arm warmers (Perfetto Light or Gore Oxygen WS). I only wear a baselayer in proper winter weather, but then I find I tend to 'run hot' compared to most.

Windstopper jerseys though, they are awesome bits of kit; especially for chillier races to whip on after the swim.

I've used merino but I find it a bit itchy as I have quite sensitive skin.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merino is great, especially for commuting as it's less damp on a re-use.

However it can be itchy, the very best isn't, but that's expensive, I just wear a normal technical cheap base layer underneath. But then I like both tight baselayers and many layers.
holster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am a big fan of X Bionic The Trick. Have the long sleeve version.

Never felt too hot or too cold, right from -4oc up to 8oc. Fantastic product and you never actually feel sweaty in it.

No cheap mind.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

High quality merino isn't itchy, cheap stuff is.
So avoid Icebreaker - Rohan stuff is great but too warm (really more for hiking). Howies used to do fantastic merino tops but not sure if they're still in that market?

I still have some Tess baselayers from Lewiskit; amazing kit and what I still wear on the bike - short sleeve and arm warmers for day time riding; long sleeve for my early morning commute - had to use arm warmers over the long sleeves on Friday, was very nippy at 6:30 Smile
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

High quality merino isn't itchy, cheap stuff is.
So avoid Icebreaker - Rohan stuff is great but too warm (really more for hiking). Howies used to do fantastic merino tops but not sure if they're still in that market?

Looks like it - I got two of these about 6/7 years ago and they're still going strong, used them for countless runs and cycles over theyears - less smelly and seem to keep you a bit warmer despite the sweat, which is really noticeable if you stop for a few minutes. Pricey admittidly compared to having a rotation of cheaper tops:

https://www.howies.co.uk/men/clothing/base-layers/mens-merino-light-ls-dark-blue-base-layer.html?colour=280
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: