Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New Strava Privacy Settings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: New Strava Privacy Settings Reply with quote

Just give them a double-check. Because mine were all set to 'allow' i.e. public after the change last week; even though they were supposed to mirror my previous settings.

I don't think the new settings are quite as transparent as the old ones. My ride yesterday has logged PRs, but they don't show on any Leaderboards; even making my sessions 'everyone' hasn't changed that (which I believe you have to do to be on leaderboards). My profile is still set to 'followers'.

Either way, not sure these changes are a good thing.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted the default "allow" when the update notification came through. Very naughty.

Made sure I went and checked my 'privacy zone' too.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I just tweaked some of mine too, as I'm fairly sure they had changed.
smitters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused - I wanted my details to be private - that's to say the route of the run/ride (i.e. location of my house), HR etc, but I'm cool with being on segment leaderboards.

It seems now you have to have a completely open profile to appear on a leaderboard. So no way to be on a seg. leaderboard without opening your profile to the world. Am I wrong? Or was it always the case that if I made a segment leaderboard, my activity was visible to all?

Another nail in the Strava coffin for me (like the non-chronological feed). I like segments, but I like not having my bike nicked a lot more.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have everything set to 'Followers' only, and still appear on leaderboards by looks of it; I just tinkered with settings to test that. I think the 'loop hole' as per the past, is that if you're on leaderboards, anyone can then view your whole session, not just the segment. That's the bit they've 'got wrong'. So yeah, if you want no-one other than followers to see your sessions at any time, then you have to actually go for 'only me' on activities - which then means there's no point having any Followers I assume Rolling Eyes
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now.. I lost a KOM yesterday that I didn't even know I had... and I'd held it since 2010.... weird.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Well now.. I lost a KOM yesterday that I didn't even know I had... and I'd held it since 2010.... weird.

Yeah, I've had a couple of those - in places I've never even ridden!

I do worry about Strava's ability to handle data in general.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:
I'm a bit confused - I wanted my details to be private - that's to say the route of the run/ride (i.e. location of my house), HR etc, but I'm cool with being on segment leaderboards.

It seems now you have to have a completely open profile to appear on a leaderboard. So no way to be on a seg. leaderboard without opening your profile to the world. Am I wrong? Or was it always the case that if I made a segment leaderboard, my activity was visible to all?

Another nail in the Strava coffin for me (like the non-chronological feed). I like segments, but I like not having my bike nicked a lot more.

Wasn't that always the case? If you want to appear on leaderboards anyone can click through and see the whole activity? They just can't see your other activities through your profile unless they follow you.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:

This usually means someone has just created a new segment and the system is trawling through historical rides to fill the leaderboard.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the changes, it looks like my runs still register on Leaderboards, but not my rides. Hmm.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Since the changes, it looks like my runs still register on Leaderboards, but not my rides. Hmm.

Are you sure they're not just figuring your times are so poor on the bike you don't want them there?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Are you sure they're not just figuring your times are so poor on the bike you don't want them there?

Oh Jim, that's so mean!

Dunno what's happened there, but I guess I can live without knowing I was 1st or 5th fastest on any given day.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Oh Jim, that's so mean!

Dunno what's happened there, but I guess I can live without knowing I was 1st or 5th fastest on any given day.

The upload page does now have a setting on it, could it be a different default, or just you doing something different?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My segment times are still not showing on leaderboards (or refreshing PRs), even if everything is public. Wonder what is going on.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have activity restriction set to followers right? That would appear to be the issue given it says the result of that is
Quote:
Only your followers will be able to access your activity details. Your activities will not appear on segment or challenge leaderboards. Members who do not follow you may be able to view your activity summaries depending on your other privacy controls.

Given I have a privacy area created, and my overall account is restricted to followers only, I don't mind another strava user being able to access info about a specific ride/run if they are looking through segment leaderboards. I benefit from doing that with others when scouting out races etc, and I can't see how anyone can obtain info from one activity file that could be used maliciously. It's my overall account that could allow someone to infer trends, trips abroad, etc. But it would be seriously difficult to infer that just from segment leaderboards, given segment best times are generally not generated in chronological order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: