Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Not sure where to spend?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Not sure where to spend? Reply with quote

OK, story is, I have a P3 with 404s, aero helmet, happy with my position and my crumbling back but I'm sure it could be better.

I go 'ok' for my age, nothing special but at 53yrs old and 81kgs my FTP is 267. This last year I did a few 10mile TTs in the low 22.xx - low 23.xx. Went 6.37 on the the bike at LCW.

I have an Elite Direto, Zwift and no PM on bike.

I have no idea at this stage, whet I'm doing next year, maybe a couple of HIMs (possibly St Polten) I doubt there will be an IM but there will be duathlons and TTs involved and a winter on the trainer.

We are about to buy a house, funds aren't scarce but not flowing like water so want to spend wisely. I think it might come down to a pedal based PM or a disc wheel but unsure what difference in real world it would make? Don't think I could commit to a coach but could commit to something like a FTP build program.

Is there low hanging fruit here? I don't mind getting a disc but not if it's only going to knock a few secs of my 10mile time. Does any of this matter at my age?

Caveats around building the engine, you can't buy speed blah blah Rolling Eyes

Have at it Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM over a disc (you can always get a cover). That said, with your Direto, you can already ride with power indoors, and train to that.

Other than that, if you want to spend money on triathlon - do it on doing nice events that make you smile. You're going to love the St Polten bike course Cool
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory I ride my races based on power, but in reality I don't find it that important, in Weymouth my Quarq Powermeter failed, I assume that rain got into it when it was in transition overnight. Last year in vichy I forgot to put my computer onto my bike in the morning.

Where I do use a power meter extensively is on the Turbo Trainer, and when doing specific training rides outside. I have a power meter on my Turbo trainer and I rarely do training rides outside on my TT bike (I know I should but....)

A power meter on my TT bike is a luxury, but not really that essential. If you plan to train outdoors on your TT bike, then a PM is probably a bigger benefit than a disc, however, if you plan to ride your TT bike indoors then get a disc

There is a 3rd option: take a punt at an IQSquare Power meter, they should start to ship late this year / early next year, very low cost, and initial signs are that this Kick starter product may be the first one to get a low cost PM right

Final thought is the psychological aspect... there is something special about cycling with a disc, and the lovely rumble that it makes, whether it makes you faster or not is less important because it makes you feel good
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
PM over a disc (you can always get a cover). That said, with your Direto, you can already ride with power indoors, and train to that.

Other than that, if you want to spend money on triathlon - do it on doing nice events that make you smile. You're going to love the St Polten bike course Cool

I am struggling with 'what makes me smile' at the moment. I always seem to be doing 'Type 2 fun' stuff, which is where it's fun after you've finished! I did 3hr mtb at Swinley a couple of weeks ago and the thought of some 6hr mtb events appeals (except i don't own an mtb Very Happy )

I'm not sure about the PM, it seems logical but with so much of my focussed training indoors on the trainer, I'm not sure what I'd gain? I've also read varying opinions about the value of a disc if you have 404s, ranging from waste of money to 'no brainer'.

A couple of Aussie mate doing St Polten next year and another couple are doing IM Wales. Personally, I'd like a crack at an ultra trail run but not sure my back can deal with it. Hence the bike focus.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote pedal-based power; as you can use it on every bike, indoors & out; the figures are also consistent across all training & racing.

I actually use my PM a lot in both racing & training - but to different effect. In training I will be trying to maintain or exceed a number, and in races (particularly longer ones) I am using it to rein-in my enthusiasm and as a pacing tool.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I would vote pedal-based power; as you can use it on every bike, indoors & out; the figures are also consistent across all training & racing.

I actually use my PM a lot in both racing & training - but to different effect. In training I will be trying to maintain or exceed a number, and in races (particularly longer ones) I am using it to rein-in my enthusiasm and as a pacing tool.

Cheers. I think at my age it's about training to not go slower rather than improving, hopefully I can delay the slide Wink

Good point about the pedals, i will go and read the thread on the ones you have.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Cheers. I think at my age it's about training to not go slower rather than improving, hopefully I can delay the slide Wink

Good point about the pedals, i will go and read the thread on the ones you have.

I got the pedals a month ago based on Jorgan's recommendation, I have to say I am very impressed
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Laughing
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Laughing

A spindly pun, at best.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

I got the pedals a month ago based on Jorgan's recommendation, I have to say I am very impressed

Do you find the release spring really tight on the Assiomas? I've had a few tricky moments! I need to set them at the lowest tension until they ease off a bit.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Do you find the release spring really tight on the Assiomas? I've had a few tricky moments! I need to set them at the lowest tension until they ease off a bit.

A little, I even managed a very embarrassing sideways topple last weekend, when I was distracted and didn't get out of the pedals quick enough, I would probably have fallen with SPDs as well. however, I feel that they are within the bounds of acceptability. The left pedal is tighter than the right
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarq issue was flat battery, what I failed to appreciate is that when battery goes flat, sometimes requires a hard reset, which involves touching battery sideways to contacts to create a short circuit.

This is not on Quarq site, but well described on other forums
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had to replace my P2Max battery because it was low, always did it about a month before my A Race. Those CR2450 batteries last for ever! (or I just don't ride 15h a week!)
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

That pretty much sums it up. I rely heavily on my PM during races since I know I get caught up in the early whoosh on the bike sooo easily. The PM is my personal on-the-spot coach telling me to let them go and catch them later.

During training it is also my coach, but it's shouting at me to do better. All. The. Time.

It's been the biggest game changer for my training across all of it.

As for using the same PM across bikes, not so sure it's that important. The reading may vary by 5-10% in extremes(!) but generally I find I can train on both turbo and outdoors on different PMs without massive difference in performance. Might just be my Tacx and P2M are close to each other but so many other factors also play in (mostly the body cooling effect of being outdoors).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Might just be my Tacx and P2M are close to each other but so many other factors also play in (mostly the body cooling effect of being outdoors).

Another one for FP's list....a big floor fan for indoors Wink (I train in garage with main door open and fan on. In extremis I'll open the back door too, for air flow)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: