Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Long aero bars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Long aero bars Reply with quote

I am comfiest when I ride with my elbow on the pads and stretch out, which means that my hands drape over my extensions.

I has s-bends and they hurt my wrists.
I bought ski bends to open the angle and the heel of my hand is on the end of the bars unless I pull myself back and I don't feel great doing that.

What I'm thinking is something like these https://www.zipp.com/bars/vuka-carbon-extensions/ or these https://www.sigmasports.com/item/USE/Aero-Carbon-High-Rise-Extensions-320mm-Bend-Set/IPVT but they are both actually shorter than by ski bars.

Does anyone know of any longer bars? I've not exactly got orangutan arms, surely other people must have this problem.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Long aero bars Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I am comfiest when I ride with my elbow on the pads and stretch out, which means that my hands drape over my extensions.

I has s-bends and they hurt my wrists.
I bought ski bends to open the angle and the heel of my hand is on the end of the bars unless I pull myself back and I don't feel great doing that.

What I'm thinking is something like these https://www.zipp.com/bars/vuka-carbon-extensions/ or these https://www.sigmasports.com/item/USE/Aero-Carbon-High-Rise-Extensions-320mm-Bend-Set/IPVT but they are both actually shorter than by ski bars.

Does anyone know of any longer bars? I've not exactly got orangutan arms, surely other people must have this problem.

manually levers help extend the bars. Wiggins used to stick to manual because of the uci rules on bar length and this giving him a free inch.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Vuka Carbon Shift, which are basically the Carbon Race with R2C shifter direct mount. They are awesome; nice rise on them for the wrist and I can place my hands on the R2C levers (which stay horizontal). Again, I also ride with elbow on the pad. I have the SRAM levers, which are not quite a nice as the Zipp ones pictured here:

https://www.zipp.com/bars/vukashift/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a pic to-hand of just the bars/bike, but to give you an idea:

Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Jorgan would jump on when someone mentioned Vuka bars. Smile But to contrast, I had them too and found them almost exactly the same as "normal" s-bends. My wrists were too forced forwards to be comfortable.

My bet would be on the Use 40 degree extensions (not the high-risers). For me that is where my hands naturally rest on the table when my elbows are on a Harry Potter book (roughly the same height drop as from pads to bars). Using same method, I need the bars slightly tilted inwards.

Another thing I like about j-bends is that I can actually pull on them when climbing in aero.

In regards to where your elbows are - is it really because you are more comfortable with the elbows on the pads, or would you benefit from a longer stem? If the elbows are just off the pads you would need shorter extensions...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
In regards to where your elbows are - is it really because you are more comfortable with the elbows on the pads, or would you benefit from a longer stem? If the elbows are just off the pads you would need shorter extensions...

Elbow on pads means the best skeletal support and least muscular stress on your arms & upper body, assuming you're not riding a Superman position(!)
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Don't have a pic to-hand of just the bars/bike, but to give you an idea:

What is the rise in the bend? It looks lower than 110.
I measured my current bars and 110 is higher than the top of the ski bend so would be a perfect height but I'm worried about the length still coming up short.

Chrase - the USE's are only 320mm long, the Zipp's are 380mm. My current ones are around 375mm. The angle is a lot steeper but that won't make a difference will it as my arm is still the same length? (That could be the daftest question I've ever asked)

Nowhere near me (Manchester) will stock these things. Are there anywhere that does?
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
My bet would be on the Use 40 degree extensions (not the high-risers). For me that is where my hands naturally rest on the table when my elbows are on a Harry Potter book (roughly the same height drop as from pads to bars). Using same method, I need the bars slightly tilted inwards.

Am I reading this right ... you have a drop between your elbows and wrists?

Doesn't that go against all current aero theories, where now people are having wrists well above the elbows to try and divert wind away from the mid section by closing off that area?

My last fitting tweak had me raise the wrists up a bit more. But even then, they were never below my arm rest height. Even UCI rules which are very strict require horizontal forearms, meaning wrists can't be lower than your elbows.

Unless I've misunderstood what you wrote? Confused
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Am I reading this right ... you have a drop between your elbows and wrists?

Doesn't that go against all current aero theories, where now people are having wrists well above the elbows to try and divert wind away from the mid section by closing off that area?

My last fitting tweak had me raise the wrists up a bit more. But even then, they were never below my arm rest height. Even UCI rules which are very strict require horizontal forearms, meaning wrists can't be lower than your elbows.

Unless I've misunderstood what you wrote? Confused

Nah, you're right - that came out completely wrong. Smile I meant that bars are attached below pads. I guess it's more Philosopher's Stone than Half-Blood Prince though, a few cm open air for wrists to dangle in.

The idea is that if you put your arms on the table directly the wrists will be lying level and you'd need something like 70-80 degree bends. The riser is to simulate this free movement - my wrists rest naturally at around 40 degrees with a slight inward tilt.

I found in this position I can grab the extensions and use them as leverage when climbing, which I then use to engage core muscles. With s-bends I rest my hands freely on top with very little grip being possible and all power has to come directly from legs. Not sure if that makes sense either?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: