Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Kona 2018 - the Post Mortem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0bh wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
TriSam wrote:
ttowel wrote:
Joe had his best ever bike ride on a taiwanese piece of carbon, badged up and sold at a silly price by Ribble.

He shifted on it though, but its not in the league of the top uber machines.

Alongside a monster front chainring and a silly looking helmet https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day&num=289

That is one fugly bike

I quite like Skipper's bike. Would be interested to hear more about his choice of a 1x dinner plate chainring too!

I think he was doing some work with aerocoach and its their chainring, meant to save 0.167245 watts or something Wink Joes return time from Hawi certainly validates that choice of a big gear. Not sure what inner or cassette he has on though which would give a bigger picture (anyone have that info or just the headline 60T). On the track for TT's on outside tracks we'd use a bigger ring as its easier to hold at speed once up, smaller ring accelerates quicker but more prone to fluctuation so maybe it was just easier to hold a set power with during testing, or he got a more efficient chainline with 60/16 than a 53/14 (very similar GI)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Joe riding 1x?
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Was Joe riding 1x?

it looks like you could be right looking at the bike photos linked previously. Surprised
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
stenard wrote:
I would agree that general testing of AGers is almost certainly non-existent. But there is history of them testing at Kona.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/age-group/kevin-moats-second-doping-positive
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Kona_Age_Grouper_Refused_Anti-Doping_Test_P6108200/

but testing at an event, The World Champs, is utterly pointless as only an idiot would be glowing.

He's well practised at being clean enough to pass a test.
ttowel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, on that same frame, I cannot run a 54 oval with a front mech. 53 is as big as it goes so it would possibly take a 56 round, but any bigger and it would not fit the FM braze on.

Tried with Etap, Ultegra, DA, both 10 and 11 sp, but would not work.

TBH I cant remember the last time I used the small chainring on a TT bike, possibly ADH last year but not at Israman, which is 3000m plus ascent.

A single ring, bigger teeth is fine for someone a lot stronger than me, like Joe, but would expect a chain guide in there though.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

I think he was doing some work with aerocoach and its their chainring, meant to save 0.167245 watts or something Wink Joes return time from Hawi certainly validates that choice of a big gear. Not sure what inner or cassette he has on though which would give a bigger picture (anyone have that info or just the headline 60T). On the track for TT's on outside tracks we'd use a bigger ring as its easier to hold at speed once up, smaller ring accelerates quicker but more prone to fluctuation so maybe it was just easier to hold a set power with during testing, or he got a more efficient chainline with 60/16 than a 53/14 (very similar GI)

I'd be surprised if he was working with both D2Z and aerocoach, they're quite conflicting and competitive brands surely?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw on FB today that old Skipper doens't want to rest and is prepping for IM Arizona. Under the old qualification scheme, that would have made sense ... banking some early points off the back of his 7th place; probably would have KQ'd with a decent result.

I just wonder if, under the new scheme, will it be such a good idea? As we have joked on here, it's not inconceivable that the likes of Sanders et al i.e. those top end athletes that had a pretty poor race may go out there for the win. Surely Joe had to dig pretty deep to pull off such a great performance? I would've thought targetting something smaller may yield better chances of qualification.

It oculd be that he's just supremely confident after this result that he can go out and deliver, and i hope he does! What do i know?!
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Saw on FB today that old Skipper doens't want to rest and is prepping for IM Arizona.

Finance, innit.
He's at that side of the world, there's a race soon, saves on travel costs and competing later on, giving a better run-in to Kona 2019.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
Saw on FB today that old Skipper doens't want to rest and is prepping for IM Arizona.

Finance, innit.
He's at that side of the world, there's a race soon, saves on travel costs and competing later on, giving a better run-in to Kona 2019.

Agreed with the prize money & travel but the Kona slot is Only if he wins.
Could be an interesting stat list.

Rinny’s interview with Triathlete magazine was interesting. Basically calling multiple women out as cheats, without actually naming people. Saying she needs to learn to ride in a pack or at least get smarter next year as there should have been several people carded.

Last edited by PCP on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Agreed with the prize money & travel but the Kona slot is Only if he wins.
Could be an interesting stat list.

Could be interesting seeing how many races the sub-Pro's chase, trying to get that win...will there still be AG-only races in 2019?

Last edited by Poet. on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre KPR days, the bigger IM races had more than one Pro slot up for grabs. If they make it one or even two per race, then I think that's pretty counterproductive too. People complained that they would turn-up for Kona fatigued from all the points chasing - well guess what, anyone who doesn't win the first race the enter, will end-up in the same boat, chasing a KQ!

Perhaps more controversially, if they split the pro slots 50/50 then that disproportionally favours the women's chances no? Apart from the winner of each AG, the amateur slots are always distributed proportionally by entrant demographic. In fact if you read the IM website, it does say additional Pro slots are allocated based on number of entrants; difficult to tell as IM website says both 50/50 and proportional.

Last edited by Jorgan on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cozumel actually looks the 'easier' race at the moment. No name sof any significance.

Ben Hoffman and Costes down on Arizona start list as it is (not sure if Hoffman will actually be fit by then?)
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Skipper is going for one last heave building on current excellent fitness, but as stated this could be a race too far.

This would be his 5th IM of the year, and he's run every one hard (as he does). NZ, the UK/Hamburg/Roth in 4 weeks and then Kona.

Although to be fair the downsides are limited unless he gets injured - I'm guessing the Grade A pro's are working out how to game the new Q system: getting the win early, preferably at a less competitive IM. You don't want to be relying on winning one of the ultra competitive mid summer Euro races.

Is there a points system after the 'win a race' Q's are handed out? 50+ MPRO's, less those that just need to validate is more than the number of races?

Be interesting to see how it unfolds...
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to Thorsten:
https://www.trirating.com/new-kona-pro-qualifying-system/

Arizona has the "floating" slots - so maybe Skip Skip Skip can qualify there?
(Other races confirmed to have these are Western Australia, New Zealand, Brasil and Boulder)

Also, if the race only has one slot and the winner has qualified already, the slot rolls down to the next eligible athlete.

Regional Champs (currently Mar del Plata, South Africa, Texas, Cairns and Frankfurt) have two slots (could be good with the roll down?)

So...do the Pro's have to turn up to the "morning after" cash-fest ceremony thing?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax guys, Joe will crush it like a grape Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: