Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
biking whilst on blood thinners ( anticoagulants)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grunta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: biking whilst on blood thinners ( anticoagulants) Reply with quote

Just suffered a 2ND DVT & now on anticoagulants for life ! Risk of brain bleed if I come off and bash my head ..Am buying a new MIPS helmet..Oakley ARO 3 looks a nice one, as don't want to pack in cycling but need to be realistic ?

Would appreciate any comments / advice from anyone who has had 2 DVTs and is still biking .
Pebble 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of threads that cover anti coagulants, search for warfarin for example.
I was on warfarin for over a year, rode as normal, carried my anticoagulant card and wore a wrist band stating I was on warfarin. That was about it Smile
grunta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that . I am now wearing a bracelet with drug & phone nos. Am considering buying a MIPS helmet as seemingly they give more brain protection ?

Any thoughts on that ?
Pebble 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sorry, but try not to crash Smile
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebble 2 wrote:
There are a number of threads that cover anti coagulants, search for warfarin for example.
I was on warfarin for over a year, rode as normal, carried my anticoagulant card and wore a wrist band stating I was on warfarin. That was about it Smile

similar to my mate Pebble - I'm on apixaban after a minor stroke last November. it's one of the newer oral anticoagulants that don't require regular blood level monitoring. carry on as normal, wear a wrist band or dogtag which gives any emergency responder the info needed in case of a problem, and try NOT TO FALL OFF!

unlike warfarin, apixaban has no "antidote" in case of a heavy bleed (warfarin effect can be countered by an injection of Vitamin K) although there are clinical trials of some ongoing. that's the downside of NOACs - upside is easier administration and no monitoring.

finally - be careful around power tools..... Wink
The Black Sheep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a year on rivaroxaban and didnt feel the need to stop cycling. As others have said try not to fall off Very Happy
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticoagulants don't generally make you bleed. They just make you stop bleeding. So the trick is not to bleed in the first place, then you're good.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
They just make you stop bleeding.

No they don't - that would be a coagulant Very Happy

Anti-coagulants stop the process of clotting.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO is right of course. easy to say now but that's kinda what I meant , just the words came out wrong Rolling Eyes

Generally they don't make you bleed, they just make you stop bleeding. So as long as you don't go about bleeding in the first place, job's a good un
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
they just make you stop bleeding.

Still wrong ..... Twisted Evil

They make you stop clotting !
fruit thief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I can't find the words. Third time lucky?

They don't make you bleed, but if you bring bleeding to the table they are going to chow down like it's Christmas day. So zwift is ok but mixed martial arts is not ok. That's all I meant to say. Id do Tri on
anticoagulants. Straight after finally getting a GCSE in English.

If you are going to get a traumatic brain injury falling of a bike, that's bad whether or not your clotting factors are having a siesta.

At a push you could even argue that anticoagulants are the cyclists equivalent of the Tullock spike. Tullock was an economist who said that road safety would be most improved not by making safety belts compulsory, but by mandating a large spike projecting from every steering wheel towards the driver's chest
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Tullock was an economist who said that road safety would be most improved not by making safety belts compulsory, but by mandating a large spike projecting from every steering wheel towards the driver's chest

Yes, I read that. It was enhanced by a stick of explosive mounted on the rear bumper to counter those drivers who brake suddenly, and who say they have never been in an accident but have seen many in the rear view mirror.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, think I may finally have sussed it out:

"They don't make you bleed. They just, er, stop you stop bleeding."

How does that sound? I'm starting to doubt in my ability to write in English so would you cast an eye please Graham & make any corrections in the margin Very Happy

Anyway, I'd be thinking, how many times have I suffered a haemorrhage as a result of a triathlon? (Of blood, not money. Financial haemorrhages happen all the time). The answer is, can't really think of any. Maybe a few blisters and some intimate chaffing. But nothing that warfarin is going to turn into a zombie film. So, personally I'd choose to keep on training and racing- mindful of the Tullock spike. Just my view.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
They don't make you bleed. They just, er, stop you stop bleeding."

Correct - or as we would normally say without the double negative, 'they prevent clotting' Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: