Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bike cover for train travel?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Bike cover for train travel? Reply with quote

Hi,

Quick one - can people recommend some fairly basic and cheap cover for putting the bike in the luggage compartment of one of our wonderful trains? Ideally it would have some padding to prevent from scratches etc - but I am definitely not after a full bike box.

Unless, that is, people's experience of travelling with bikes on UK trains suggests that a box is worthwhile?

FYI - doing a fairly long trip of 4-4.5h and so would not want to have to squat next to a bike on a bike rack for that long Wink

thanks,
d
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
running dad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve only travelled with my bike on GWR, but you put your bike in an end bike store - takes about 5 bikes with a stand that you stick a wheel in, then wedge under a wheel and a strap sometimes too (you must book with gwr) so no cover needed in my opinion; you could put a rain cover over I guess.
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running dad wrote:
Iíve only travelled with my bike on GWR, but you put your bike in an end bike store - takes about 5 bikes with a stand that you stick a wheel in, then wedge under a wheel and a strap sometimes too (you must book with gwr) so no cover needed in my opinion; you could put a rain cover over I guess.

And in your view it is safe/ok to have the bike uncovered? GWR is the company I would be taking as well, so just want to make sure that they treat the bike with tenderness and care that I would Smile
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put the bike in that compartment yourself. There's the risk another passenger is not as careful as you would want them to be, but with only a small number of bikes it's not like there's a huge amount of bikes going in and out.

As mentioned, you have to book on a specific train. You are not allowed to take your bike on in any other part of the train (based on the fact you're talking of a 4+ HR journey, and knowing which trains they will be).
running dad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:
running dad wrote:

And in your view it is safe/ok to have the bike uncovered? GWR is the company I would be taking as well, so just want to make sure that they treat the bike with tenderness and care that I would Smile

I commuted with my bike on GWR for a short while, never had an issue - maybe if it was a mega buck race bike I might be more concerned, but Iím not sure a cover is going to be practical. Perhaps just put some lagging or wrap cloth around the main tubes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: