Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
RIP Ironman70.3 Edinburgh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tbh I can't really get excited about paying WTC money for events on UK roads; not only are they familiar, they are also shocking. If I pay 450, I'd rather it was on 100% closed glass-smooth tarmac roads. Plus nothing in the UK is really destination enough for a big entry fee imho.

This * 100.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...I live near Bolton and have considered Ironman UK a few times but just can't justify the huge entry fees for the likely experience...I've done Lanza 3 times (only 2 finishes Smile ) and Nice - but those experiences still seem to me like good vfm. However, I fancied a UK based ironman distance event this year so have gone for Outlaw. Not expecting it to be as much epic fun as Nice or Lanza but it is less than half the price so that makes it good vfm (hopefully) to me Smile
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I suppose you have to ask why those of us who never did it, weren't interested and you have your answer.

Travel and Cost for me. Edinburgh wasn't attractive enough for me to pay the branded 70.3 entry fee, plus associated travel/accommodation. Didn't have anything to do with the course.

Accommodation and the split transition for me. Wanted my first 70.3 to be simple from the logistic point of view. Was so much cheaper and easier to take part at Aberfeldy
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, forgot that to get to the start if you were on your own (Mrs can't drive) you had to park in town and get the bus which meant getting up even earlier.

I like Edinburgh so had a couple of days there but accommodation can be pricey in the summer, we stayed out of town a bit. Living oop north also means it was only a 2:30 drive to get home.

I appreciate about the branded 70.3 issue, Staffs has never appealed but I did Wimbleball, partly for the holiday down there and because it was a challenging course. I usually stick to smaller races like Grafman or our clubs Steelman.

I only did Edinburgh as it had the 50 extra Nice slots and fairly low entries.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the plan was for Edinburgh to be a 'destination race' for foreigners, but were there many foreign entrants over the years?

The same premise is probably behind IM Cork, albeit it's based around a surprisingly small port village some distance from the city of Cork! (Youghal). I was tempted, but in the end I got the sense it wouldn't live up to the destination tag, the roads would be cr*p and like cycling over Dartmoor, and the event probably underwhelming the moment it left the limited confines of Youghal. It does seem to be doing well for entries though, compared to many other Full Ironmans, with only 'Tier 4' left.

If I was a betting man, I reckon IM Cork won't last more than 3 years and will fizzle out in the same way Edinburgh has.
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I would expect the plan was for Edinburgh to be a 'destination race' for foreigners, but were there many foreign entrants over the years?

The same premise is probably behind IM Cork, albeit it's based around a surprisingly small port village some distance from the city of Cork! (Youghal). I was tempted, but in the end I got the sense it wouldn't live up to the destination tag, the roads would be cr*p and like cycling over Dartmoor, and the event probably underwhelming the moment it left the limited confines of Youghal. It does seem to be doing well for entries though, compared to many other Full Ironmans, with only 'Tier 4' left.

If I was a betting man, I reckon IM Cork won't last more than 3 years and will fizzle out in the same way Edinburgh has.

IM70.3 Dublin was probably similar and I know it has been renamed but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts, was the swim a bit nasty as well.

I'm with you on Cork, wouldn't be a destination, crap roads, good chance of rain. Unless there are a lot of triathletes in Ireland I don't see it lasting long either. There's now another potential market of Ironman tourists who like to do every race, but they aren't returning customers.

I was a bit disappointed for Maastricht, but they always struggled with the bike course, and I think a lot people might not have realised how nice it was.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: