Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IMUK Bike course
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Yep Jorgan
Face book mostly.
The one that keeps getting put up on strava is probably favourite.
The one with 8.5k of accent closes the A666? A main road near Bolton so that may be unlikely

Itís all hot air for sure.
But it is changing and those that entered looking at the cut offs and have already paid there cash are quite rightly unhappy.
An extra 2-3000 ft of climbing when your near the limit is going to see Ironman giving out a few less 17 hours finishers medals.

Don't enter expecting to go 17 hours then. There will always be exceptions to that rule but if I can go from being a fat smoker with no bike who can't swim in September 2012 to a 12:41 at Bolton in 2013 months then there really isn't many excuses for people.
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP
In work with a computer as basic as my computer skills.

I will try and post the three routes i have seen to date on here tomorrow... shouldnt be that hard.....

Two are very similar, one is the "new, new" Loop that has the 8000ft + of climbing and closes the A666? Unlikely apparently.

Maybe the cut off time will be extended, seems unfair that the slower athletes wont get there time to shine.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Maybe the cut off time will be extended, seems unfair that the slower athletes wont get there time to shine.

I can't see the organisers extending the overall cut-off beyond 17 hours. That's the longest that any M-dot races give you and there are plenty with shorter cut-offs.

One possibility might be extending the bike cut-off within the 17 hours. Lanza regularly extends their bike cut-off if the weather is expected to be particularly windy, but that joust leaves less time to get round the run. That might not be a popular option with the locals though if they have to extend the road closures.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Not following this closely, but imagine there will be a good amount of hot air on FB Ironman Journey page about this? Rolling Eyes Very Happy So is this just rumour at the moment, or have IMUK made an announcement?

JeffB alluded to changes at Hamburg for next year, but I've seen nothing official or any associated chat.

If its anything like what happened with Lanza this year it will go like this. Rumors of change start, rumors spread, goes quiet, rumors start again, event organisers deny the course is changing, course gets "leaked", couple of weeks before they officially announce changed course, people lose their collective s**t.

I was thinking it sounds a lot like Lanza this year too.

I guess the big difference for Lanza is that it markets itself as "the world's toughest Ironman", so unless you enter without doing any research, you should be expecting it to be tough. IM UK is harder than many IM courses, but it's still generally doable for a newbie.

The "classic" Lanza bike course was iconic and one of the reasons that we all keep going back. I think the biggest concern there was that the character of the course would change and we would lose some of the iconic sections of the course. As it turned out, with the possible exception of the Famara out-and-back section, I think they did a really good job and the new course is great.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh FFS. There's more than 6 months for people to prepare themselves for this; no-one is 'entitled' to a finish in an Ironman. Adapt improvise & overcome.

Six Ps.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Oh FFS. There's more than 6 months for people to prepare themselves for this; no-one is 'entitled' to a finish in an Ironman. Adapt improvise & overcome.

Six Ps.

exactly

FFS

its simple no matter on the course its still swim bike & run and you have 17 hours to complete ,if you can not do it in that time train ~#*$ harder and stop ~#*$ moaning about it

its a ~#*$ race the idea is to get to the finish as quick as possible !

no likey on your bikey Twisted Evil
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny though, as SO many people do Bolton as it's easier than Wales.

I've had this conversation countless times when I asked Why the hell are you doing Bolton?

Wales is too hard and all the others are not Ironman's...

Righto Rolling Eyes

Enjoy the 8000ft on #@?# roads Laughing
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

What the Germans refer to as schadenfreude Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
It's funny though, as SO many people do Bolton as it's easier than Wales.

I've had this conversation countless times when I asked Why the hell are you doing Bolton?

Wales is too hard and all the others are not Ironman's...

Righto Rolling Eyes

That's the great bit about Wales. it's hard, hilly and on rubbish roads. No glass roads for Euro princess here.

'DON'T BE SH!T' as the flag says Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Six Ps.

i think that you are over looking the entitlement that paying a wad of cash brings...

the bike should be all downhill to allow everyone to finish...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
PCP

I will try and post the three routes i have seen to date on here tomorrow... shouldnt be that hard.....

Two are very similar, one is the "new, new" Loop that has the 8000ft + of climbing and closes the A666? Unlikely apparently.

they are missing the point...that's 8,000ft of descent to look forward to Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Six Ps.

exactly

FFS

its simple no matter on the course its still swim bike & run and you have 17 hours to complete ,if you can not do it in that time train ~#*$ harder and stop ~#*$ moaning about it

its a ~#*$ race the idea is to get to the finish as quick as possible !

no likey on your bikey Twisted Evil

Exactly this. Above
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Mungo wrote:
PCP

Maybe for a Euro IM. where every climb is followed by a long, sweeping descent. In the UK you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be steep, narrow, twisting roads with sh1t road surface and a tight turn at the bottom that you pretty much have to come to a halt to get round Rolling Eyes Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Mungo wrote:
PCP

Maybe for a Euro IM. where every climb is followed by a long, sweeping descent. In the UK you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be steep, narrow, twisting roads with sh1t road surface and a tight turn at the bottom that you pretty much have to come to a halt to get round Rolling Eyes Wink

That implies you need bike handling skills, so I can see why Wales isn't popular with triathletes Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolton & Tenby? 180km? whatevva Try doing an Audax across Wales and back... no supporters, no rattles or foam hands, no disco music, no aid stations, no daylight, no loved ones or medals at the finish....

You bunch of fannies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: