Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Insurance for multiple bikes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2532
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Upselling brokers might be the norm in the world of insurance, but that's never been my experience with the Pedal Cover team.

Horses for courses though. I quite liked being able to speak directly with the owners who had arranged all the finer details of the policy they were offering with AXA. A lot of non-specific bike/race/tri policies are hugely unclear in terms of what is covered, and more importantly what is not, with respect to the standard online documentation. And when you do speak to someone, they have no idea as they are used to dealing with people asking about more standard aspects.

So if you don't want/like the personal touch, then I would agree pedal cover is probably not for you. For me, I have no problem fitting in a personal call during the day, and being able to ask specific questions of someone knowledgeable about their product is reassuring.


+1 with that

dealing with PC is actually a pleasure - you're talking to someone who is a) interested in you, b) knowledgeable, and c) will only give you details on what you need. anonymous they are not, in your face they are not.

I also had Jo (owner's wife) contact me direct by e-mail as she wanted to clarify a comment I made on their FB page and wanted to ensure I had the correct info about their travel insurance as we were looking at this for a trip to Oz. as it happens I was correct in my understanding of their policies (age related) but her hands were tied by their underwriters so they were unable to be more flexible to fit my needs. this just goes to show that they do care about their clients and reach out if needed.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5390
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
stenard wrote:
Upselling brokers might be the norm in the world of insurance, but that's never been my experience with the Pedal Cover team.

Horses for courses though. I quite liked being able to speak directly with the owners who had arranged all the finer details of the policy they were offering with AXA. A lot of non-specific bike/race/tri policies are hugely unclear in terms of what is covered, and more importantly what is not, with respect to the standard online documentation. And when you do speak to someone, they have no idea as they are used to dealing with people asking about more standard aspects.

So if you don't want/like the personal touch, then I would agree pedal cover is probably not for you. For me, I have no problem fitting in a personal call during the day, and being able to ask specific questions of someone knowledgeable about their product is reassuring.


+1 with that

dealing with PC is actually a pleasure - you're talking to someone who is a) interested in you, b) knowledgeable, and c) will only give you details on what you need. anonymous they are not, in your face they are not.

I also had Jo (owner's wife) contact me direct by e-mail as she wanted to clarify a comment I made on their FB page and wanted to ensure I had the correct info about their travel insurance as we were looking at this for a trip to Oz. as it happens I was correct in my understanding of their policies (age related) but her hands were tied by their underwriters so they were unable to be more flexible to fit my needs. this just goes to show that they do care about their clients and reach out if needed.


Yeah always been able to get hold of Jo or Darren. Had cause for a mild complaint once and it was dealt with a personal call from Darren straight away.

Having said that, my own car is up for renewal and they just quoted over double as the best price they can get, so I'll be heading elsewhere this year for my car.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2532
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
stenard wrote:
Upselling brokers might be the norm in the world of insurance, but that's never been my experience with the Pedal Cover team.

Horses for courses though. I quite liked being able to speak directly with the owners who had arranged all the finer details of the policy they were offering with AXA. A lot of non-specific bike/race/tri policies are hugely unclear in terms of what is covered, and more importantly what is not, with respect to the standard online documentation. And when you do speak to someone, they have no idea as they are used to dealing with people asking about more standard aspects.

So if you don't want/like the personal touch, then I would agree pedal cover is probably not for you. For me, I have no problem fitting in a personal call during the day, and being able to ask specific questions of someone knowledgeable about their product is reassuring.


+1 with that

dealing with PC is actually a pleasure - you're talking to someone who is a) interested in you, b) knowledgeable, and c) will only give you details on what you need. anonymous they are not, in your face they are not.

I also had Jo (owner's wife) contact me direct by e-mail as she wanted to clarify a comment I made on their FB page and wanted to ensure I had the correct info about their travel insurance as we were looking at this for a trip to Oz. as it happens I was correct in my understanding of their policies (age related) but her hands were tied by their underwriters so they were unable to be more flexible to fit my needs. this just goes to show that they do care about their clients and reach out if needed.


Yeah always been able to get hold of Jo or Darren. Had cause for a mild complaint once and it was dealt with a personal call from Darren straight away.

Having said that, my own car is up for renewal and they just quoted over double as the best price they can get, so I'll be heading elsewhere this year for my car.


yeh - it seems their motor policies aren't as good as their household ones. I asked them to quote on my motorhome at renewal time, but it was way off what I could get elsewhere.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16617
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Pretty sure we're on Barclays but with extended cycle cover. It's then up to 3.5k - per - bike regardless of how many. Fairly certain it also covers them away from home (day trips).


yep im covered for accidental damage on the road, ie pothole crashes and theft when travelling as with most contents insurance. Pedal Cover couldnt match the price of Barclays , about 100 a year more
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dazzmaster




Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all - will give Pedal Cover another look... I was hoping to keep the bike insurance separate from home contents (which I already have) so will see where we get with quote etc. Will report back.
_________________
'19: Lanza IM + Fugitive + ...
'18: Maastricht IM + Big East
'17: Vitoria Gasteiz Long Course + Woburner
'16: Copenhagen IM
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1988

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Pretty sure we're on Barclays but with extended cycle cover. It's then up to 3.5k - per - bike regardless of how many. Fairly certain it also covers them away from home (day trips).


yep im covered for accidental damage on the road, ie pothole crashes and theft when travelling as with most contents insurance. Pedal Cover couldnt match the price of Barclays , about 100 a year more

Useful to know. Will have a look at the Barclays policy just as a comparison
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.