Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bar tape

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Bar tape Reply with quote

I posted a thread about bar extensions a while back and ended up buying the Zipp Vuka 110 - https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/zipp-vuka-alumina-bar-extensions-1359385/?sku=SRMZPHBE97001&istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istItemId=-xrpwrttxap&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrzvqqz53gIVi-F3Ch2iqAIyEAQYASABEgK3Y_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
which a just an absolute dream for my preferred position. I have never been properly comfy until I got these.

Anyway, after doing a search for bar tape (I use Lizard skin now but it is a bit too chunky), I saw this stuff on Slowtwitch and have just ordered some - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30mm-Black-Non-Slip-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Textured-Grip-Fish-Rod-Racket-Handle/401187193884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Has anyone used it? Obviously I have to wait for about 20 days for it to get here but it looks like it could be a great, light, grippy, cheap solution.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used it myself but have seen that quite a few pro's use it and it seems popular on the time trialling forum
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just go to either you local DIY store & buy self-fusing plumbers tape (silicon) or if you want something a bit thicker, racquet grip from Sports Direct. S0d spending £25 on Lizard Skins!

My Carbon Vuka Race have the grippy surface finish on them, which is nice. I use racquet tape on my base bar.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I would just go to either you local DIY store & buy self-fusing plumbers tape (silicon) or if you want something a bit thicker, racquet grip from Sports Direct. S0d spending £25 on Lizard Skins!

My Carbon Vuka Race have the grippy surface finish on them, which is nice. I use racquet tape on my base bar.

I couldn’t justify the extra £100 for the carbon bars.

Got the lizard skin 18 months ago, 1 roll did my TT bike, still have the other roll but will see how this feels.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Got the lizard skin 18 months ago, 1 roll did my TT bike, still have the other roll but will see how this feels.

I got the R2C race version, they weren't especially expensive, got them off ebay for around £80 iirc. They are a bit more niche though, as can only be used with R2C shifters, so end-up being discounted.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
PCP wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I got the R2C race version, they weren't especially expensive, got them off ebay for around £80 iirc. They are a bit more niche though, as can only be used with R2C shifters, so end-up being discounted.

Ah thought you meant these - https://www.zipp.com/bars/vuka-carbon-extensions/ which I'd have liked but £105 for a 60g saving is not worth it to me.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

Ah thought you meant these - https://www.zipp.com/bars/vuka-carbon-extensions/ which I'd have liked but £105 for a 60g saving is not worth it to me.

No these: https://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2011_02_10_Zipp_Vuka_Shift&page=2

They're pretty rare nowadays, so handy that I have a spare pair.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Lizard Skins on my bars, but really didn't like it, especially on the base bars where over time the tape would slowly slip forward due to gripping it under braking. and on the aero bars, I found LS too bulky

Last year I replaced the bar tape with tape that I had to strap my knee, and I find it works really well, especially on the base bars where it gives plenty of grip, even in hot sweaty conditions, and it doesn't move
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use skateboard tape on the aero bars, if anyone wants some I will happily post some out.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
I use skateboard tape on the aero bars, if anyone wants some I will happily post some out.

That, or Ikea do it in rolls about an inch wide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: