Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Peleton Online Spin Classes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Peleton Online Spin Classes Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the TV adds for this.

Maybe it's just me but I find it cringe worthy in the extreme and another example of the "Smashed it" culture that seems to be taking over cycling and Tri.

I'll never complain about following my little erg mode graph on the screen again. Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i look at the form of the cyclists and cringe, certainly...but we have an outcome over process culture...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't you have to have one of their £2k bikes to take part?? ffs.... Rolling Eyes

https://www.onepeloton.co.uk/
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
and don't you have to have one of their £2k bikes to take part?? ffs.... Rolling Eyes

https://www.onepeloton.co.uk/

The fact that the bike has a rack to hold your dumbbells during the class tells you everything you need to know about the type of class that is Rolling Eyes .

Definitely one for the gym bunnies rather than the keen cyclists Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't this the point? It's for people who just want to exercise, not people who want to become highly trained cyclists.

The trainerroad podcast touched on the same topic a couple of episodes back. A new mother asked a question and Coach Chad's initial response was all about how it was going to be tough to get to a high level of fitness with the constraints of disrupted sleep with feeding etc. Nate then pointed out that surely just training for the sake of exercise was by itself entirely worthwhile.

I think the likes of us on this forum can sometimes forget that for most people, gym classes, parkrun, whatever, are just a way to get a little bit of exercise in their lives. And there is no "end goal/race".
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
But isn't this the point? It's for people who just want to exercise, not people who want to become highly trained cyclists.

The trainerroad podcast touched on the same topic a couple of episodes back. A new mother asked a question and Coach Chad's initial response was all about how it was going to be tough to get to a high level of fitness with the constraints of disrupted sleep with feeding etc. Nate then pointed out that surely just training for the sake of exercise was by itself entirely worthwhile.

I think the likes of us on this forum can sometimes forget that for most people, gym classes, parkrun, whatever, are just a way to get a little bit of exercise in their lives. And there is no "end goal/race".

+1 with that

anything that gets people off their bums and doing some exercise is good, but I wish people wouldn't get dragged into the latest fads and spend sh1tloads of money just to exercise. if they want to, fine, but I wish they'd realise they don't need to.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

yep, but why not do a little less very well until such time as you can do more very well...it only takes a little longer and ultimately bears better fruit...

a little 'coaching' rather than just facilitation of training would go a long way...

stenard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a faster way to create a barrier to entry to exercise, start telling people they need to get coached from the outset.

I know you're a coach, but that's just silly. 99% of the general population Cs get sufficient exercise to be healthy without needing to be coached to do so.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
If you want a faster way to create a barrier to entry to exercise, start telling people they need to get coached from the outset.

I know you're a coach, but that's just silly. 99% of the general population Cs get sufficient exercise to be healthy without needing to be coached to do so.

not nearly as silly as 70-85% of runners being injured every year and repeatedly being injured too...but i suppose that's freedom of choice...

I am also not sure why being coached is a barrier to exercise, although there are secondary barriers, of course...i have spent most of my adult life as a volunteer coach...now that too may seems silly to you, but i am quite proud of my legacy of coached and mentored runners and triathletes and well mentored coaches...

i should also point out that iirc, the article said this session was led by a coach...why pay (I assume) to go to a session led by a coach and then not get coached...seems a bit silly to me...

stenard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread had moved on to my referencing to the likes of parkrun. At least in my mind. Even so, gym classes have sessions leads/instructors, but I wouldn't call them coaches. And any gym class I've ever been to, such as spin, they're not going to advise you on a physiologically preferential pedal stroke.

If you offer volunteer coaching services, then fair enough. People can always benefit from guidance that is well founded from a knowledgeable person. But I've never seen a volunteer running coach at anything I've ever been too, or the opportunity to access such a service outside of formal training sessions of clubs (which are themselves a barrier to obtaining such guidance for many people who don't want to compete).

Yes people get injured. Yes they could probably do things better to avoid that. But if you start suggesting to people that before working towards doing a parkrun they need to get some coaching, most are just not going to bother.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
The thread had moved on to my referencing to the likes of parkrun. At least in my mind. Even so, gym classes have sessions leads/instructors, but I wouldn't call them coaches. And any gym class I've ever been to, such as spin, they're not going to advise you on a physiologically preferential pedal stroke.

If you offer volunteer coaching services, then fair enough. People can always benefit from guidance that is well founded from a knowledgeable person. But I've never seen a volunteer running coach at anything I've ever been too, or the opportunity to access such a service outside of formal training sessions of clubs (which are themselves a barrier to obtaining such guidance for many people who don't want to compete).

Yes people get injured. Yes they could probably do things better to avoid that. But if you start suggesting to people that before working towards doing a parkrun they need to get some coaching, most are just not going to bother.

Indeed they are not which is why so many willget injured...

I have just come back from an awards where all 20 coaches are volunteers...and the next club I will get a few free drinks at didn't charge a membership but charge 2.00 a session capped at 30.00 per year where every run began with drills...I suppose you pick your clubs wisely...

hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I have guided and helped a number of people voluntarily. Most proper coaches do. EJC makes a valid point, do a weekly parkrun to keep fit is great in some ways But many people get injured through poor form, doing too much, not warming up properly etc. Not going to get very fit if you're always injured. One of the downsides of PR is that it creates a culture of always trying to beat last week's time, and for many 5k is too far to start both meaning injury is just around the corner. A coach led warm up would be a great addition also
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already plenty of artificial barriers to exercise with people being told they need the right kit, heart rate monitors, compression socks, mp3 player, sun glasses. The joy of running should be its accessibility, on day 1 you need little more than a half decent pair of trainers. And on day 1 you should be walking as much as you are running.

Anecdotally, I donít see parkrun as perpetuating a no-pain-no-gain exercise philosophy. Sure there are always a few MAMITs (Middle Aged Men In Trainers) breathing heavily towards the front, but further back the emphasis is much more social and people will pick weeks when they want to push and weeks when they want to stroll. As a gateway to finding a running club that can help you develop your running should you wish, it would seem an ideal forum. And a decent running club is going to be the easiest place for most to find cheap coaching advice.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the parkruns near me are remotely people chasing to be better than the week before, and equally very few people who decide to do parkrun before. They all start with couch to 5k, and then tend to have a healthy view of parkrun as a way to get some exercise in.

I can certainly imagine that smaller less developed parkruns where the over 30minute folk might get a bit lonely could lead to different results.

I don't even see many MAMITs, well at least I do, but they seem to actually have a healthier attitude to running compared to the MAMILs, I think it may well be because it's more obvious they're not awesome - a MAMIL will be able to out sprint all the women they catch on a road (since they won't catch the very few they couldn't, and even the very best are at such a disadvantage in short duration powers which is where bike willies are waved) Yet on a parkrun they're still beaten by lots of people that make willy waving impossible.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at me, I've never been coached and I'm the bomb....so blows that theory straight out of the briney Wink Very Happy

Seriously though, paying for a coach or personal trainer is often the only way some people will achieve their goals; via motivation and accountability. This Peloton thing though, I don't see that lasting the test of time; they will just turn into Wattbikes by another name imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: