Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Changing a tub in a race?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Changing a tub in a race? Reply with quote

For those that still use tubs & use tape to stick mount them, what do you do and carry for a spare in case of a flat, especially during a race?
Do you have a spare with tape on it or pre glued? Its difficult to pre tape a tub!

Im sure the majority of the time the tape will come off the rim when you pull the tub off so whats the solution for the spare tub and how do you ensure its secure.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a Tufo 135g track tyre, with tufo tape pre-attached. rolled up it is roughly the size of 2 inner tubes. Also carry a blade to cut the old tyre as this makes removal much faster

I normally carry with Velcro strap under the saddle
Foggo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I take a Tufo 135g track tyre, with tufo tape pre-attached. rolled up it is roughly the size of 2 inner tubes. Also carry a blade to cut the old tyre as this makes removal much faster

Thanks..do you already take the backing off the tape? How do you manage to rollit up without the tape sticking to itself etc?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to use an 'old' stretched tub that's in good condition. Mount it on a wheel, ride it, then leave it on the wheel for a while to 'set'. When you remove it, tape should stay on tyre. I use the Jantex 76 now; supposedly only for alloy rims, but without tempting fate, 4 seasons & counting....it's much thinner than the white Jantex stuff too, so better crr.

A timely reminder that I need to do this again; I use a Tufo too (S3 Lite) as they roll-up small and mine has puncture belt. Fits in Trek draft box with 2x CO2 and an inflator. I need to find or buy another valve 'wrench' too, as I ride 808/disc, so would need to remove the extender for the disc.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Thanks..do you already take the backing off the tape? How do you manage to rollit up without the tape sticking to itself etc?

No I leave the backing on the tape. I put the tape on the wheel with all backing in place, then I put the tyre on the wheel, inflate tyre and make sure it is seated well, then pull off the backing from the tape, so that it sticks to tyre (but not to rim. I leave the tyre in place for 24 hours to stretch. Then deflate tyre and remove it from the rim. The tape still has backing on it so will not stick to rim.

As Jorgan points out, make sure you pack a valve wrench if you have deep section wheels
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used inflation foam from Decathlon. Worked a treat with an extra Co2.

Trick I use with tubs is to glue the tape on to the rim, then run your hands around the exposed tape with dirty/greasy hands

There is enough tack to keep the tyre on with high pressure, but it then rips off easily and leaves the tape behind.
Poet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tufo track tub as a spare (Iíve used it twice in a year, roll on cheapo Decathlon Vitoria Strada tyres for training)

Like Jorgan, I now use the red Jantex tape. Much smaller, less sticky and holds the tires on.

Remember - you can only use the rapid inflate repair stuff if you have proper valve extenders (one with a tub that has a removable head) and not the ones you just put on top of the tub valve.

I second the Decathlon stuff, think itís £2.49 a can and it works. They also sell CO2 for cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: