Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman - Market saturation or decline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mash180

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluepoolshark"]It has to be a cost thing, Lanzarote is currently €646 to enter, that is an utterly obscene amount of money for one race Shocked[/quo

The London marathon costs about £35 (That's a guess) but if you want to run New York its £400 plus just for the entry !!

You get what you pay for in my experience - a Branded race runs rings around most non branded races.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a personal point of view, cost is a huge factor for me.

Aberfeldy 70.3 last year was a quarter of the price of Edinburgh. It was also much easier logistically, transitions were with half a mile.

Far from being a one season wonder, I’ve signed up for another triathlon this year, however, it’s a sprint. This fits nicely in budget and for the time I will be able to commit to beating last year’s time.

I couldn’t justify the cost of an Ironman branded event.

Time also comes into it. If I was doing a 140.6, I would want to do it right. That wouldn’t leave a huge amount of spare time outside of swim bike run. My wife and I love going to the gym together, that would suffer.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mash180"]
Bluepoolshark wrote:
It has to be a cost thing, Lanzarote is currently €646 to enter, that is an utterly obscene amount of money for one race Shocked[/quo

The London marathon costs about £35 (That's a guess) but if you want to run New York its £400 plus just for the entry !!

You get what you pay for in my experience - a Branded race runs rings around most non branded races.

Mash!! Good to see you back around here. 👍
Tigger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

Me too. I really want to do Lanza this year. I can afford to pay the cash. But I can't justify it as I think it is just way too much. I enjoyed Challenge Mallorca in October so I will probably do another one of theirs.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is definitely a factor, certainly for the younger population. Especially when you factor in all the kit costs if they are still quite new to the sport.

As with Stenard i came to the sport in my early 30's after 20 odd years of playing football. To be fair, i do wish i'd found endurance sport earlier, but hey ho.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Price is definitely a factor, certainly for the younger population. Especially when you factor in all the kit costs if they are still quite new to the sport.

As with Stenard i came to the sport in my early 30's after 20 odd years of playing football. To be fair, i do wish i'd found endurance sport earlier, but hey ho.

it's also a factor for us older folks who have retired - we have to manage our finances better as we should have many years ahead of us if we stay healthy, so doing expensive events is no longer on the radar, plus investing in new kit becomes less frequent
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, there is no suggestion that overall numbers are down, just they are spread thinner over more events. I think the Chinese are still happy with their investment and are targeting growth in the far east.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's not cheap; probably why it's a middle class/middle age sport. Hamburg at Tier 3 the other day was €550 (€594 with fee)! Ironically a decent flight/hotel package on Expedia isn't much more for 5 nights, but then Hamburg has plenty of 'supply'.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70.3's are having an impact IMO.

Lots of 'one and done's' can do a 70.3 say they've done 'an ironman' - hell it's there on the logo just before the number.....

No one 'in the office' and most people's social media audience won't know the difference. Taking 7 hrs 45 minutes to do an event sounds like an Ironman, right?

IM know this - hence the huge push for 'flat, fast' 70.3s (even rolling 70'3s are marketed as such) and classics like Wimbleball hitting the buffers.

So a likely flattening/slight decline in 140.6 is more than compensated by a massive increase in 70.3 participation?
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
70.3's are having an impact IMO.

Lots of 'one and done's' can do a 70.3 say they've done 'an ironman' - hell it's there on the logo just before the number.....

No one 'in the office' and most people's social media audience won't know the difference. Taking 7 hrs 45 minutes to do an event sounds like an Ironman, right?

IM know this - hence the huge push for 'flat, fast' 70.3s (even rolling 70'3s are marketed as such) and classics like Wimbleball hitting the buffers.

So a likely flattening/slight decline in 140.6 is more than compensated by a massive increase in 70.3 participation?

I don't think so!

If the aim is bragging rights someone at some point is going to point out that a 70.3 is a half and all the inflated Ego will whoosh out.

How many times can even the most vein attention seeker hear "but that's a half" to their "I am doing an Ironman" brag and keep up the facade"

Ironman is no longer niche and most people have at least a few people in their social circle who know the difference and will burst the bubble.

I am sure some slip through but doubt it has a major impact on Ironman numbers. Probably a net gain, when someone doing a 70.3 shows off their finish photo on Insta to get the inevitable "when are you doing a full Ironman then?" reply?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

Ironman is no longer niche and most people have at least a few people in their social circle who know the difference and will burst the bubble..... when someone doing a 70.3 shows off their finish photo on Insta to get the inevitable "when are you doing a full Ironman then?" reply?

I don't know. I hear BS everyday whether it's about sporting achievements or military careers; it's everywhere and I don't bother calling it out most of the time, let alone publicly on social media.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

Me too. I really want to do Lanza this year. I can afford to pay the cash. But I can't justify it as I think it is just way too much. I enjoyed Challenge Mallorca in October so I will probably do another one of theirs.

I definitely get this, and I've not yet done a Challenge event but have heard it's a comparable IM experience from club friends who have.

However, like Mash, I definitely now value the big race experience. I've done a number of other "local" races (it's all I did for the first few years), and for a big race I want to target, I'm now of the view that closed roads (under whatever brand) are worth the premium. Cotswold 113 is about as good as it gets without officially closed roads as the police marshalling is so good you never have any issue at junctions, but the last couple of Castle Tri events I did, there were numerous occasions of sitting behind crawling cars that couldnt pass slower cyclists still on their first lap.

And again, as Mash says, when you compare to overseas marathons, IM is actually cheap. The swim safety support, but more importantly closing 90+ km of roads, plus a run route, is a much bigger logistical challenge than a 26 mile run route. Other than the draw of Boston, I see no appeal in paying hundreds of pounds for a simple marathon.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I definitely get this, and I've not yet done a Challenge event but have heard it's a comparable IM experience from club friends who have.

I think there are only a limited handful of Challenge events that match Ironman for 'big race' feel; by virtue of the fact they do not get the fields.

Ironman is the 'Apple' of Triathlon, and aside from Challenge all other event brands are the LGs and Alcatels of the Tri market; Challenge is no longer the Samsung of Triathlon brands, there is no looming presence in Ironman's rear-view mirror any more: Nokia anyone?

Notwithstanding Roth, which is nuts!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

I think there are only a limited handful of Challenge events that match Ironman for 'big race' feel; by virtue of the fact they do not get the fields.

Ironman is the 'Apple' of Triathlon, and aside from Challenge all other event brands are the LGs and Alcatels of the Tri market; Challenge is no longer the Samsung of Triathlon brands, there is no looming presence in Ironman's rear-view mirror any more: Nokia anyone?

Notwithstanding Roth, which is nuts!

So is roth Blackberry? Very Happy Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

So is roth Blackberry? Very Happy Very Happy

No it's the Samsung Galaxy S9, but they've got literally nothing else to match the market dominance of Ironman (aka Apple) Wink

I see an Ironman as a rare indulgence nowadays; I'm yet to buy an iPhone though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: