Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Time Trial Thread 2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1881
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: The Time Trial Thread 2019 Reply with quote

Time to fire this one up again. Anyone planning some early season TTs?

So far entered the Kingston Wheelers Sporting 14. A cold lumpy-ish, bumpy sporting snot-fest. Had an absolute shocker last year so I'm hopeful that I can go a minute or two quicker this year.

Then I'm going to enter a couple of Sporting 25s and 10 which are in March, before the Charlottelville 50 and Hounslow 100. I'd love to get my 10 time down again but that will have to wait until post July.
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poet




Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 10105
Location: Your Mum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy

Not a massive fan of the sporting courses, as there is no real yardstick, unless you have done them before.

I'm in for three Opens, all of which start <10km from my house, great for a warm up and cool down.
The courses may as well be Sporting, as the road surface is abysmal.

9th March - J4/17 10TT (course record is 20:20, so pretty slow. I'd be happy with a 23:xx at this point in the season)
4th May - J2/9 25TT (Decent-ish. Looking for under an hour on this one)
25th May - J4/16 50TT (Sarah Storey 'only' has a 1:54:40 on this course, so I don't hold much hope of dipping under 2hrs)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bluepoolshark




Joined: 09 May 2006
Posts: 1315
Location: Swimming with icebergs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Friday is currently the first 10 i'm entered for, will enter a few more soon

As for season aims looking to get a low 22 for a 10, sub hour for a 25 and sub 2 hours for a 50
_________________
Enjoy the little things, cos one day you will look back and realise they were the big things
Mud, Mud, Mud, gotta love Mud
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1998
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Nice Very Happy

Not a massive fan of the sporting courses, as there is no real yardstick, unless you have done them before.

I'm in for three Opens, all of which start <10km from my house, great for a warm up and cool down.
The courses may as well be Sporting, as the road surface is abysmal.

9th March - J4/17 10TT (course record is 20:20, so pretty slow. I'd be happy with a 23:xx at this point in the season)
4th May - J2/9 25TT (Decent-ish. Looking for under an hour on this one)
25th May - J4/16 50TT (Sarah Storey 'only' has a 1:54:40 on this course, so I don't hold much hope of dipping under 2hrs)


I should be at these 2 -
4th May - J2/9 25TT
25th May - J4/16 50TT

My J2/9 PB is 1:03:20
My J4/16 PB is 2:11:46
My PB for the 100TT course there is 4:47:55 and I managed a decent run off. Hoping to batter those this year.

EDIT: I just entered the 25 & 50.

Why are there no 100's showing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poet




Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 10105
Location: Your Mum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE ONE Very Happy

Just entered them now...I miss writing the cheque and sending an envelope, waiting for it to come back with either your cheque, or the start list.

They don't run the 100 every year, there is one over Liverpool way...

...or you have the Concrete Mountain course from Etwall (which is basically the A50 from Etwall to Blythe Bridge and back a few times) and is RAPID!

Takes about 70-80 minutes to drive to Etwall from the M6 Knutsford junction, add on ~30mins for the Prestwich/Whitefield M60 junction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1388
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes do a local spoco in March, but only on the winter bike, usually complete with mudguards and catching brakes.

Can't see me getting the TT bike out until May time when the club 10's start and it's warmer. I hate the cold, and the thought of cycling with about 1mm of lycra isn't appealing.

I think we've got 3 100's on consecutive weekends within about 100 miles, including the national.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1998
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the only one I can find is the Nationals which I obviously won't be getting in to.
The Liverpool one and all others are the same day at IMUK, I wanted to find one 2-3 weeks before.

Never mind, it isn't the end of the world, just a nice benchmark for power and pace.

Oh, and Poet - those road are like glass compare to up here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1388
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Yep, the only one I can find is the Nationals which I obviously won't be getting in to.
The Liverpool one and all others are the same day at IMUK, I wanted to find one 2-3 weeks before.

Never mind, it isn't the end of the world, just a nice benchmark for power and pace.

Oh, and Poet - those road are like glass compare to up here!


Have you got a filter on, I can see about 7 100's over the course of the year, including a few in May & June?

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poet




Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 10105
Location: Your Mum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Oh, and Poet - those road are like glass compare to up here!


Bloody hell!!!

The A537 from Knutsford down to the Chelford RAB is awful - absolute teeth chattering on 21/23mm @ 140PSI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5401
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how TTing will be happening this year, at least in any earnest. Ultra trail and some mtb endurance is the flavour this year, at this point Exclamation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1998
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
PCP wrote:
Yep, the only one I can find is the Nationals which I obviously won't be getting in to.
The Liverpool one and all others are the same day at IMUK, I wanted to find one 2-3 weeks before.

Never mind, it isn't the end of the world, just a nice benchmark for power and pace.

Oh, and Poet - those road are like glass compare to up here!


Have you got a filter on, I can see about 7 100's over the course of the year, including a few in May & June?

Jeff


I'm being super fussy on dates Jeff. I prefer it to be 1-4 weeks out and not a 3+ hour drive away. I've got a few weddings and races booked in through May & June and the one they did in Manchester only takes me 30 minutes to get to.

I can't get to Malmesbury or Newmarket without is being a 12 hour day. There is one on May 27th but 2 days after I've done a 50TT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crumpy




Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 498
Location: Worcester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a 50mTT in July and / or Aug. In the Midlands area or close by which limits options.

BDCA on 13 July looks a possibility. Anyone know how likely I am to get in? Are there time cut-offs etc?
_________________
Time to return to Olympic and 70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1388
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
JeffB wrote:
PCP wrote:
Yep, the only one I can find is the Nationals which I obviously won't be getting in to.
The Liverpool one and all others are the same day at IMUK, I wanted to find one 2-3 weeks before.

Never mind, it isn't the end of the world, just a nice benchmark for power and pace.

Oh, and Poet - those road are like glass compare to up here!


Have you got a filter on, I can see about 7 100's over the course of the year, including a few in May & June?

Jeff


I'm being super fussy on dates Jeff. I prefer it to be 1-4 weeks out and not a 3+ hour drive away. I've got a few weddings and races booked in through May & June and the one they did in Manchester only takes me 30 minutes to get to.

I can't get to Malmesbury or Newmarket without is being a 12 hour day. There is one on May 27th but 2 days after I've done a 50TT.


I had wondered, if you can find another 50 you could do a longer W\U & C\D which will take you towards 100?

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1388
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually managed to enter the local hilly 21 in March. There's a road bike category on most of our local TT races this year so I've entered that to save me having to get the TT bike out.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1268

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fully planned yet, expecting a few nibbles on E2, and B courses.

Biggies will be E2/100 (june) - superfast 100, fastest in the country on its day, and B2/12hr (August) - fast 12 hour, did 255 miles on this last year unsupported, with mechanical issues, untapered and it was also a scorching hot day. Right conditions and 270 is just about possible.

It will be a late start for me this year - late finish to last season (IM Cozumal late November) and a bike crash hip injury so unlikely to be racing before April. Currently 30 watts off this time last year, so need a training block rather than races in March.
_________________
2019. IM Wales no 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.