Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newcomers Welcome Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308, 309  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh meat at last! Welcome to the Forum iwaters. Don't be a stranger Smile
philyc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all,

After several years of thinking about doing triathlons i took the plunge a few months ago as a 'surprise' from my wife.

I used to be a competitive short distance swimmer and running and cycling is something ive previously dabbled in so this year i just did two sprints.

both were 300m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run. did the first in 1hr11mins, then three weeks later i did the next in 1hr07mins.

nothing record breaking but i came second in my agegroup (im 25) both times and didnt embarrass myself. i now look forward to next year. i am booked into the sprint at eton, then castle-howard olympic distance and finally weymouth 70.3.

more will hopefully be booked once the army decides where it wants to send me in 2017.

I currently ride a Felt S32 with 105 groupset, ultegra brakes, and vuelta carbon pro wheels. picked it up for 600 then had a rough fitting at the local bike shop for 50, bargain so-far. just picked up a zone3 aspire wetsuit and now looking to replace my decade old helmet.

looking forward to plumbing the wealth of knowledge in this forum, as a newcomer and help/advice is always welcome.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philyc wrote:
Evening all,

After several years of thinking about doing triathlons i took the plunge a few months ago as a 'surprise' from my wife.

I used to be a competitive short distance swimmer and running and cycling is something ive previously dabbled in so this year i just did two sprints.

both were 300m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run. did the first in 1hr11mins, then three weeks later i did the next in 1hr07mins.

nothing record breaking but i came second in my agegroup (im 25) both times and didnt embarrass myself. i now look forward to next year. i am booked into the sprint at eton, then castle-howard olympic distance and finally weymouth 70.3.

more will hopefully be booked once the army decides where it wants to send me in 2017.

I currently ride a Felt S32 with 105 groupset, ultegra brakes, and vuelta carbon pro wheels. picked it up for 600 then had a rough fitting at the local bike shop for 50, bargain so-far. just picked up a zone3 aspire wetsuit and now looking to replace my decade old helmet.

looking forward to plumbing the wealth of knowledge in this forum, as a newcomer and help/advice is always welcome.

elcome and good luck...but why do you aim to do a 70.3 so soon?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
philyc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
philyc wrote:
Evening all,

because i can really. im just aiming for a decent time, i know the swimming isnt going to be an issue for me. cycling i know i have the endurance and running wise i do a half marathon most weekends. I just need to start long distance brick sessions.

the other reason for trying to do one next year is that i'll likely be moving to brunei at the tail end of 2017 for two years, so during that time i wont be able to do much.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philyc wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
philyc wrote:
Evening all,

because i can really. im just aiming for a decent time, i know the swimming isnt going to be an issue for me. cycling i know i have the endurance and running wise i do a half marathon most weekends. I just need to start long distance brick sessions.

the other reason for trying to do one next year is that i'll likely be moving to brunei at the tail end of 2017 for two years, so during that time i wont be able to do much.

They will still be here when you get back....

What is a decent time?

You'll love Brunei!

Kerr1992

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks Smile

Been browsing the forum for the last 2-3 days and looks good so decided to join.

I've recently been training over all 3 disciplines in order to get fitter and shift some of my 116kg and I'm toying with trying a tri sometime in the future. My partner has done a few and enjoyed them.

My background is rugby so training for endurance will be difficult. However, I'm hoping I'll get a lot of info about training etc on here. Currently following a basic plan I found on Triradar which is quite fun.

Thanks
Craig Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kerr

Go steady and good luck Smile

Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here, I've signed up to three events next year, Northwood sprint in May, London Tri olympic in July and St Albans sprint in September.

So far I've only completed run races, 10k (48 mins) and 5k (22.26) so I know I have to do some work to get the endurance up especially before the London Tri.

Currently training on my turbo in the evenings, getting in 2/3 runs a week and a single swim session.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Jgav....enjoy that turbo...

RunningPilgrim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Newbie to Tri Reply with quote

Stupidly picked up copies of the books by IronHolgs to read on my holiday last month as I looked out to Lanzarote from Fuerteventura I got inspired to show up here.

Already booked a Duathlon and a Sprint Tri for next Apr/May and am starting 2 of the 3 disciplines from a poor base, saying that my running isn't as great of late as I thought it was. My knowledge base is pretty poor already too so any tips would be very welcome no matter how minor you think they are.

Anyway i'm here for the long haul with an ultimate aim (at present) to a IM 70.3 in 2018 as im currently a fat lad and want to focus on technique and getting my body ready for the challenge throughout 2017.

Look forward to learning and progressing.

JJ
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Running Pilgrim...good luck, but go steady...

Pompey82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just joined the forum to try and expand my knowledge around triathlon and training. I've been a runner for 20 years plus and completed quite a few half marathon's. Became interested in triathlon after I pulled a calf muscle just before my first marathon and started cycling more than the occasional commute to work. I'm working on the assumption that if can run 20 miles and bike over 50 separately I should be able to complete an Olympic distance triathlon, I just need to work on the swimming bit!
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
welcome Jgav....enjoy that turbo...

I generally don't mind the Turbo part as I watch TV whilst on the bike. I think it's my bike (Marin Highway One 2007) which isn't too comfortable. Considering either changing saddles or changing bikes.
RunningPilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Welcome Running Pilgrim...good luck, but go steady...

Thanks ExplorerJC - slow and steady has always been my pace Smile
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey82 wrote:
Hi, I've just joined the forum to try and expand my knowledge around triathlon and training. I've been a runner for 20 years plus and completed quite a few half marathon's. Became interested in triathlon after I pulled a calf muscle just before my first marathon and started cycling more than the occasional commute to work. I'm working on the assumption that if can run 20 miles and bike over 50 separately I should be able to complete an Olympic distance triathlon, I just need to work on the swimming bit!

Welcome - A lot of people starting Tri struggle on the swim, you're in good company.
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308, 309  Next
Page 307 of 309

Jump to: