Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Salford triathlon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil montgomery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Salford triathlon Reply with quote

Anypone doing the Salford triathlon this year?

I've messed up a bit as I'm down for London the following week which is where most of the family and friends will come to watch. Which one do I take seriously and which one do I do do in either recovery or warm-up???

The main point I wanted to ask is about entry. They say on the site that once my cheque has cleared then I'm entered. I don't like things being this vague and am now annoyed that I've received no communication from them, nor has my cheque cleared my account after 14 days.

Does anyone have any experience of Salford and their admin? I sent off a cheque for the Shropshire / Ellesmere on the same day and that cheque cleared last week.

I'll start a different thread about training etc. for triathlons on consecutive weeks...

Thanks
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They say on the site that once my cheque has cleared then I'm entered.

I'm not keen on that method either but it's the way all 8 of my races this year have operated. Sherborne took about three weeks before the money cleared while London went through on the same day.

I'd like some form of acknowledgement.
neil montgomery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one and only previous race was London so I've been a bit spoilt. When I entered online I got an e-mail the same day to confirm receipt of my application. I seem to remember I then got confirmation of a place within about 48 hours.

They then follow up with e-mails advertising training days etc. but mentioning at the very top that you are receiving the e-mail because you are a confirmed entrant.

Not much anyone could do to beat that but does second place have to be so very far behind??!!
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not doing salford this year but i will see if i can fit tit in next year, depends on a few other races, and what i think has priority

simonM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did salford last year, and while it was very well organised I didn't enjoy it that much.

The swim is in one of the docks down at the Quay's, it was very clean and surprisingly warm, my only complaint would be the size of the wave that I was in, all the male seniors go in the same wave, so 350 guys all hanging off a pontoon in a dock makes for a very congested swim, do not expect a fast swim time(unless you can get to the front). Now if only they would split the male seniors into 2 waves.......??

The bike course is on closed roads which is a novelty for us Triathletes, quite a few mini roundabouts, but apart from that it's quite boring really. It's not that fast due to the roundabouts and the turns in the city centre. You do 3 loops of the course.

If it rains the cobbles outside the townhall get very slippy.. Exclamation Exclamation
so take care.

It rained alot last year and the transition was one big mud bath, every thing got covered in mud.

The run takes you out to Old trafford and back(3 loops), I enjoyed the run the most(lots of people to cheer you on).

The shower facilities aren't that good either.

One other note, my wife says the shopping is good in the Quay's

Will I be doing it this year..........................I've got the entry form in front of me but my mind isn't made up yet. Razz
neil montgomery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Manchester for almost a year now and can confirm that it will be raining - we had our one day without rain some three weeks ago.....

Thanks for the info - I know those cobbles very well but thanks for the reminder - they're hard enough to negotiate on a Saturday night.... The swim doesn't sound great - it's the one thing I hate about London as well - too much of a bun fight and not enough about racing.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is all these johnny-come-latelys who have recently taken up triathlon. There are too many of them!

Oh....hang on. That's us, isn't it. Very Happy

BB

P.S. Apologies to Giantman! Wink
ChrisW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two penneth,
I did Salford last year and am doing it again this year.
As for admin - cheque sent off some time ago and I've had a paper receipt. I seem to recall that was pretty much all I had until much closer to the event (maybe even the week before) when they send you registration details etc.
As for the event, I thought it was great. The difference over some others is the fact that it's an ITU World Cup race and a lot of the top pros will be there. This year, it's about a month before the Olympic Tri in Athens so most of the top pros will be competing and that just adds something to the event, the atmosphere etc.
Certainly in my top 3 so far!!
neil montgomery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CJ, glad to see the North West being represented on the forum.

I had a receipt in the post last week and am now a relative veteran of the 'we might let you know we might not' school of triathlon admin.

I'm looking forward to Salford as well. The circuit really takes in Manchester rather than being on the outskirts and it looks great for spectators too.

I posted a thread elsewhere that there is the opportunity to train in the Quay starting from next week whcih sounds excellent.

See you there.
Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: