Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
LONDON MARATHON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you didn't injure yourself, so Madeira is still okay. Well done anyway. It's not as if I could run anywhere near that time. Rolling Eyes

BB
budgie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done GMan.
Look at all those positives from the race....well ahead of schedule, feeling easy, relaxed and very strong in the first 15 miles.
The mental battle was also won through the ability to stay tough, keep going and continually adjust your stratagy to complete the challenge even after things went a bit wrong. Cool
Take hold of that and keep it.

Great effort mate ........hope everyone else from round here who took part is OK
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giantman wrote:
it was all I could do to hold on to 8 minute miling. With a mixture of walking and slow jogging I made it to the finish in 3hrs 18 min

wish i could do this in perfect health, not to mention with a dodgey calf

well done GM Cool

oh and it was an Austrian, not a German Wink

ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done GM... a time that will take me a few years yet to equal!
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joining GM to say my "hoped for" time slipped to a 4hr 12mins Sad

After a very crowded and hence slow 1st mile --10.28min, I realsied I had 1.30 to make up before I'd really started Shocked
Despite that I was on target upto half way, then by 30k had slipped by 3 mins and kept sliding thereafter.
Seemed much more crowded than my last time there, and in parts where the spectators were not roped off they narrowed the road so runners were bunched. After saying that the spectators on such a wet-n-cold day were brilliant. Sooooooo many people to cheer everyone on, makes me a bit emotional to see.
So after the 1st slowwwww mile:
Had to re-adjust my hair clips at miles 2,5 and 10 -after which I culdnt be bothered -even for the photo at the end Rolling Eyes
Stitches at miles 3,10 and 18 to 20.
Felt sick from 19miles onwards.
Brain dead by mile 21.
Lost the will to live by mile 22.
Thought the finish was around the last 3 corners to find it wasnt.
Passed by a man in a thong early on but he was speeding too much to follow.
Wouldnt let a rhino pass-- well you cant can you, so managed to leave him behind.
Was cold-n-wet before the race had started.
Balls of feet sore from mile 15, heels sore from 18, brain sore from 21.
AND no cheese-n-tomatoe sandwiches at the finish, that you would normally never entertain but seem sooooo nice after 26.2 miles.
Dont know if others find this but there comes a point where you cant be bothered to do anything -change speed, walk, stop, look at crowd or spectators, smile, drink. Had to make myself stop for drinks after 20 miles 'cause even though was thirsty you just cant be bothered. So stop to walk as making myself swallow.

But as GM said its that mental ability to carry on to finish and I listened to my body because I wanted to keep running not slow to a walk.
--I was running wasnt I Daz? albeit slowly. And sorry I didnt hear you Sad

And another positive is that this is the lightest Ive been for about 6 years -normally I put weight on whilst marathon training Embarassed

Had good running club results, 9 of us entered and times ranged from 2hr45 to 4 hr16, so everyone under 4hr30 is good.

Oh, and I did have a PB --4hr 12 without going to the loo
--although I thought I wanted to for 26.1 miles Rolling Eyes

One thing did keep crossing my mind --how do you do this /do you want to do this after 2.4kmswim and 112miles on the bike Shocked

And guess my training was ok since not too sore today --my feet mainly, some quads, but prob. only gonna loose 2 toe nails Shocked

Thanks for everyones support and wishes, I didnt want to let anyone down but guess we all know that its what happens on the day and have the determination to rise again Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the Brain is more active today Sue, very Well done, and a very funny report

Although Hair Clips Question Question you can't blame slowing down on hair clips. sorry maybe it's a man thing, but next time have have your hair cut Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sue; a great time and a determination to finish! I've now had 24 hrs to reflect on yesterday and offer the following thoughts. Firstly, crowds are great when things are going well, but when your'e walking/jogging, there is only so much "don't give up" and "not far now" that the human soul can take. To be honest, the "support" got on my nerves, but that's my fault, not theirs! I also think I went out a fraction too fast. On the red start, I ws in Pen 1 and only about 10 metres from the start line and got caught in the mad rush when the gun went. My heart climbed steadily to 160 (my target for the first 5 miles was 155!) but I thought I would carry on and adjust at the first mile marker if necessary. But there were no mile markers until the seperate starts merged so it was not until 3 miles that I had any real indication of my speed. I reached 3 miles in 19m 3s, well inside my target, and tried to slow down to get my heart rate down to 160. But at 165 it felt as if I was jogging and I think mentally I decided that I was not going to go any slower despite my HRM telling me that I should! By now, all the good club runners were sweeping past me and it was difficult to run my own race and not try to run with them. By 10km, 39 mins had elapsed which was quicker than my time at the Frosty Furlong in March! But I felt good and pressed on to reach 10 miles in 65mins. It was around this point that my legs started to rebel. Funnily enough, it wasn't my left calf that was the trouble, but the right quad instead. After Monday's Thames Turbo race, the physio told me that that quad was very tight and a few "knots" He did his best to untangle the mess but did warn me that this was the most likely reason for the dodgy calf. Anyway, I began to slip over to 7 minute miling trying to save the leg. But then my right leg started to cramp up as well and by mile 14 my race was effectively over. There were certainly times over the next 12 miles or so when I seriously considered jacking it in but in all my year's racing, I have only ever recorded one DNF in the Tadworth Ten many years ago when my left knee locked up and I had a nice ride home in an ambulance! I have had the odd DNF in triathlons because of mechanical, rather than human failure! Anyway, back to yesterday. I soon discovered that a minutes stop at each water station whilst I drank, was enough to let me jog for about the next mile so bit by bit, I managed to crawl my way to the finish. I even think I managed a bit of a sprint at the end!

Oh, and I forgot to mention my blood soaked socks! I felt something go on my right foot over the carpet at Tower bridge and had to limp for about half a mile. But the pain subsided and I was able to get back to jogging. Taking off my shoes after the race was difficult enough but I was a bit taken aback to discover that I had been leaking plenty of the red stuff over the last few miles - not a pretty sight!

Despite a hot bath and plenty of self massage last night, my legs this morning know that they have been in a race! Climbing stairs is an adventure, but I haven't fallen over yet! As far as walking is concerned, things aren't too bad provided that I keep on the move. The problems start when I have sat down for a long period and then try to walk! Oh well, the delights of marathon running. I hope that my tale doesn't put any of you off having a go. When it all goes right, there is no better feeling!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to both of you. Tough day for it and you gave it your best shot. Thats what its all about.

For me, doing the marathon after 2.4m swim and 112m bike is no problem cause I have an added advantage. My brain does not function properly from the start - as my nearest and sometimes dearest () says, "where's the no sense, there's no feeling" Shocked
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done sue Smile

and thanks guys you've helped the london urge to subside for now..
looking forward to the silent lanes & twittering birds of stratford next week.
cyco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat off to you Sue, miserable day but great performance.
Kath

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to you guys for finishing, I'm in awe of anyone who can get through that distance let alone at those speeds.

Hair clips would have come in very useful for me yesterday, don't knock 'em !
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sue, GM!!!!

Bit hoarse today from all the shouting. Gave my all to gm and sue a few hundered metres after halfway and then gm when he came back down (35k) and sue at the first corner almost opposite buckingham palace. Despite my shouting I dont think either of you heard me, unless you were (most probably) 'in the zone'!
ALso spotted a few others. RichM in the rhino outfit who was on for sub4 easily halfway but paid the price (from the weight no doubt!) later on and finished in just over 4:30.
Also I'm sure the 3-4th brit at halfway was our departments mark/martin hilton, will have to check. Looked just like him.

Anyways, well done you two! Sorry to hear about the leg probs gm. where did the blood come from then?

What did you think of the weather. Thought would have been chilly at beginning and amazed to see some in just tiny swimming shorts (topless).....theyre prob in bed with pneumonia right now!

Great to watch, but DIOD wish I was takign part. STill I'll def be in next years .
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, all, I watched jealously from home, nursing a mild hangover
RuthE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys!
Lots of admiration for you both. I am still to chicken to commit to a marathon. Shocked
Have a nice restful week stuffing your faces. Very Happy
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz - thanks for the support, even though I missed you both times! I think by 35km, I had mentally switched off and had stopped listening to the shouts from the supporters. Are you auer you want to know about my foot problem? OK, somehow, the little toe on my right foot developed a pinch blister on the end, rather than underneath and I guess it just got bigger until it burst going past the Tower of London. Its still throbbing a bit this morning so I guess I had better cancel the 8 mile run I had planned for tonight (only joking!)

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: