Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IronHardMan Race Report CH- With bust arm after bike mile 1!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: IronHardMan Race Report CH- With bust arm after bike mile 1! Reply with quote

Zurich, Ironman Switzerland, 2nd July 2006

OK Iíve created a new event, Iíve done a few reasonable IMís so figured that busting my arm after ONLY 1 MILE ON THE BIKE would liven things up a bit. At least I kept the swim conventional, but had a major argument with a big bollard on the bike..

I just looked up and there it was Ė I was on the tribars and there was no way I was going to ride through it Ė BOOFF, I donít even remember how I fell. Luckily no-one around to ride over my carnage. Knew straight away Iíd done something bad to my right arm, as I picked up my sorry looking Softride cursing. Amazingly I seemed visibly unscathed, just a few lumps out of me here and there. I only noticed when I got home that the back of my helmet was totally split Ė I was a lucky boy.

It happened on the bridge at the top of the lake at ĎBurkiplatzí. Itís the busiest part of the course for car traffic, so the minimum space was used to avoid disruption. Two lanes divided down the middle by heavy plastic bollards, small person sized, on heavy bases. One lane for cycles going East, and one for returning West. Enough room for two cycles to pass with care but very little margin for error. Still, entirely my own fault, I think I was putting my drinks bottle back having just had a gulp, really not quite sure. Totally my own fault whatever.

Initial feelings other than shock:

- What a d*ckhead, how could I have been so stupid

- Come all this way and spent all this cash and I go and do this

- Done all this prep to save a few seconds here and there and I chuck it all away spectacularly

- Not again! (See my signature)

- What the h*ll have I done to my arm should I seek medical advice now

- What the h*ll have I done to my bike, is it as ride-able as a clowns trick bike now?

All this rushes through your head in a few seconds. OK letís see if the bike is u/s, as that decides a lot of options. One wheel didnít run OK until I pulled the brakes out a bit then seemed to run OK, one brake lever at a twisted angle, so I jump on it gingerly and it still seems to function OK, although how impaired and for how long itíll last who knows. So I continue.

My useless arm doesnít seem visibly bloody, bent or swelling, yet. My whole forearm seems affected, and I have little grip or strength in that hand. But once Iíve got going, it actually feels comfortable in the aero position on the tribars. Luckily large sections of this course along the lakeside are totally flat. So I figure Iíll see how it goes, if it starts hurting real bad I may have to re-assess and quit. Can I climb up hills, who knows. Maybe itís just a bang and itíll be fine in half an hour. Or maybe Iíve got busted bones and internal bleeding or b*gger knows what and Iíll pass out and fall off Ė who knows!!

At Austria last year I was flying on the bike from start to finish with a 5.14 split. I was visibly passing swathes of people with ease. Didnít seem to be happening here, although Iím not so powerful on the flats, being more of a skinny climber. Some big guys catching me up, I canít believe this is happening to me, itís all going wrong. Is my bike impaired? I get past these guys and power on as best to the bottom of the first incline. From here on itís technical, and know Iím struggling. Got bar end shifters and theyíre quite old friction ones, not the lightest, and I can barely move the little ring gears without wincing. Moving the position of my hand and arm from the tribars to the brakes hurts the most, and itís a big effort to move the limp arm. Once Iíve got it onto the brakes I can hardly bare to squeeze my hand to pull on the lever. The right hand controls the front brake so Iím almost totally relying on the back brake with my left hand, and already Iíve nearly locked the back wheel up on a tight corner. Then get round the corner to go uphill and Iím instantly in the wrong gear. Crikes I must be like a mobile road block to anyone Iíve just passed. This is going to be a struggle.

Iím right handed so using my left is totally unnatural. Most of the time leave my right arm n the tribars, and reach over with my left to grab a new gear. Again for braking on anything other than faster downhillís, I donít try and move my poorly arm from the tribar rest, and just use my left on the drops to inefficiently brake and steer.

But Iím fairly fired up, as there seems to be nothing to lose since Iíve already lost it and even though thereís no way can I get out of the saddle as I would normally prefer, I say stuff it and push a pretty hard gear and storm up the hill in a close to unsustainable fashion. Just sat down with my limp hand resting on the main bar. I hadnít trained up this hill during the race build up, so had no idea what to expect. Could just see loads of cyclists snaking up the zig zags all the way in front of me. It wasnít a huge gradient, but it was significant, and it seemed to go on and on for a couple of miles - Beauty and the Beast it was called. Anyway I must have stormed past 50+ riders, finally getting some kicks. Race plan in tatters, who cares. Amazed to see BlueDougal from Serpentine Tri. Wasnít expecting to catch him up if I was lucky till the latter part of the bike, never mind factoring in my crash. He said he was pacing it and was happy to let me burn out early. Quite what he thought when I casually informed him Iíd probably broken my arm I canít imagine, but I was speeding past and couldnít elaborate too much.

After a fast straightforward downhill section it flattened out and I got held up by a bunch dithering so I nipped out over the central line briefly to pass. They were dithering because there were Motorbike draftbusters about, and although there was nothing particularly unsafe about my move, it was at a dumb time, and I duly suffered the ignominy of what turned out to be just a stop and go penalty. He just literally called me in, waited ahead, I stopped next to him, and he then immediately set me off again. I didnít get the dreaded black line through my number like too many people sported by the end for drafting. I think this meant you got hoiked out for a six minute real time stop at the end of the bike. But at the time I wasnít too sure what penalty my offence had warranted, and there was nowt I could do but take it on the chin and press on.

After a few more technical bits to navigate there was an interminable drag up a small gradient, but made onerous by the light-moderate headwind at precisely this point. So being down on the tribars while unorthodox and back unfriendly was not such a bad place to be. Dunno how much more of this my back could withstand though, itís not getting any variety of position. Then came a very fast section down back to the lake side where you were rightly banned from going on the tribars, with some sweeping bends for the brave. So I had to wince and exercise my bad hand on the front brakes. Annoyingly getting passed by some of the guys Iíd just passed on the uphill sections, I was being pretty conservative going down. I hadnít quite lost my nerve, but I wasnít going to crash again, and my braking was very uneven, and bike handling far from 100%.

Glad to get back on to the flat roads by the lake for the run back into the headwind back to Zurich town centre. But whatever I had broken? was increasingly stiffening up and my winces were getting louder when I was having to move my arm from any position of rest. It was annoying to struggle back to town into the wind solo then only to be caught up my the same offending drafting packs of mainly Germans on both laps two and three. This lot were taking the p*ss, and I sure hope they were draft busted, as the motorbikes were reasonably evident throughout most of the course. They needed to be with the long flat sections!

The second part of the course takes you back past the Landiwiese transition area and down the flat west part of the lakeside for a smaller loop, turning round by way of a fairly steep windy hill of approx 1/2mile in total called Heartbreak Hill. Very hot here against the high walled sides, and a feat of endurance for all the Tour De France style spectators to endure for a few hours as well. Was able to twiddle up here fine, but in a much different fashion from the couple of blasts out of the saddle Iíd done the day before.

On the start of lap 2 I passed BlueDougal again??Ė Beats me where he passed me, maybe during the stop and go, or if I had stopped for a bottle. But I honestly thought I was seeing things, it didnít seem possible. So we had chance to chat and turns out heíd come down with a cold the day before, and was still not 100%, and nearly DNFíd on the swim before heíd found his rhythm. Weíd both done swim splits of around 1h17 Ė I was pleased with that but 5-10 mins down for him. He must have just got out of T1 in front of me, as I had taken extra time to look for my watch that had been kicked loose during the swim, which Iíd stuffed down my wetsuit. Of course as soon as I entered T1, peeled of the wetsuit as I ran along, and the watch was history. So our race was part evened up, in some sort of bizarre fashion, although Iíd have taken the cold ANY day! I eventually pushed on before the next climb up the Beauty and the Beast.

Iím relatively good in the heat and wasnít overheating too badly even though it was pushing 30 degrees without a cloud in the sky. I donít require too much hydration, daft as that may sound in the conditions. So ignored most of the bike feed stations Ė Anyway these were nigh redundant to me as all the aid was offered on my (poorly) right side, and there was no way I could reach up and grab anything and hold onto it. So when I did stop on two occasions, like I said, I had no alternative but to loose more time and physically stop, and actually got the race helpers to put the new bottle straight into my bottle cage. Consumed around four gels and a few wine gums en route, nothing much really. Guts felt fine for once!

I soldiered on making some steady progress, but by lap three my back was aching pretty badly and I was losing heart. So no big surprise I had gone up all the ensuing reps of the hills at an increasingly slow pace, but still distinctly passing plenty of people. A general slow down would have been naturally experienced by most people anyway, except for those pacing themselves very conservatively.

I had deliberately not taken any pain killers following my accident Ė If my arm wanted to hurt real badly, then I wanted to know about it! On lap three I figured it must be stable, and took two ibuprofen to ease any likely swelling, as well as to giving me a bit of a lift.

Disaster struck within about five miles of the bike finish on the last of the three laps, just before the aptly named ĎHeartbreak Hillí Ė A front puncture for no obvious reason. I hadnít knowingly gone over anything I suspected could have caused this, and it may have been some legacy of the initial crash?? This was another nail in the coffin. All the effort Iíd made to make back some places on the bike and put in a reasonable performance was all for nothing. And it dawned on me that this was probably it Ė Race over Ė As I was physically incapable of changing the front tube because my hand was so weak, and arm so painful to adjust. It was a major temptation to quit there and then, and I started to get a bit emotional about it as the possible implications of the days fruitless efforts were starting to sink in.

But this was luckily not too far from the transition area with some spectators probably walking back from Heartbreak Hill. A guy and his gal with an Ironman Germany finishers top were approaching. All I could do was say ĎCan you help meí as I explained my predicament. Which he duly did, so with some assistance, I was back on the road again, having lost around six minutes. Outside assistance is no doubt not strictly permitted, not that I hardly cared in these circumstances. I had no option, and this guy had to replace my bust arm. If anyone wants to report the offence I canít stop them! Iíd just like to thank him, and for the following encouragement they later shouted at me.

When I finally spotted my pal at Heartbreak Hill, again all I could blurt was ĎI think Iíve broken my armí as I continued past, much to the dismay of the group who thought they mustíve heard it wrong as I was visibly unscathed and seemed to be going OK at first glance. I trailed slowly into T2 in poor spirits, and gingerly dismounted for Transition.

You can see from the ASI run photo taken at the run start out of transition Iím trying to run holding my bad arm with my good, and wincing at the result. I stuttered along the start of the run, running then walking, wondering if it was even going to be possible to get going in any kind of fashion, trying to find a comfortable position. At worst case, I would just have to walk it. This section of the run was a bit of a maze in an unrewarding section of switchbacks that didnít seem to get you very far. I made the mistake of eating some solid fruit at the second aid station. Donít know why as I never normally would and didnít do my stomach any good for a few kís when I tried to run again. My shins were also giving me some initial discomfort too, and it wasnít until around 4 km that I settled down and managed to find a run position I could sustain: Much like my winter and spring training, I was walking an (imaginary) dog! By keeping the bad arm extended and out in front of me as if I was clutching a dog on the end of a lead, I could run in a reasonable fashion. It obviously felt strange and wasnít the best way to run, but this Ďraceí was all about compromising and adapting, and I finally got going. I figured if I could just finish in any kind of reasonable time, however mediocre compared to my previous performances, it would have to rank as the hardest thing Iíd ever achieved before. My limiting factor now was my legs, not worrying about my arm. The pleasures of the IM run split were back on. Itís the big question facing any IM racer, how much are you going to suffer on the latter stages of the runÖ?

The last 4k of each lap was across the Burkiplatz bridge over the River Limmat (where Iíd crashed) and down a shaded section along the far lake side. At least you felt like you were travelling some appreciable distance as it was in a straight line. The run was four laps each of just over 10k, and different coloured wrist bands were issued during each lap. Not long after the turnaround point BlueDougal was coming in the opposite direction. I wasnít sure if he was a lap ahead or on the same lap, as I hadnít noticed what bands he had. Iíd lost time with the puncture at the end of the bike and my stuttering run start, and heíd run a super 3h30mins actual run split at IMUK that I figured he could have pulled well ahead..?

I ran reasonable steady for me, gradually passing people, and when we passed at lap two I held up my good wrist with the bands to check what laps we were on. Not only were we on the same lap, I had extended my advantage over him! My new goal was to try and stay head of him, and also achieve a sub 4hr marathon split, which Iíd just about managed on all four previous IMís Ė by only 30 secs at IMUK for example, at great effort.

There were no timing boards en route that I ever saw, and the upshot of losing my watch meant that I had absolutely no clue how well or badly I was going. In the state I was in this was also difficult to judge. It finally dawned on me to ask a competitor at the start of lap three what time it was Ė 4pm. So the swim start was at 7pm, meant I had been going for about 9 hours. I could NOT BELIEVE I could still be on for an 11hr time, if I could bash the last two laps out in an hour each. At the faster IM Austria course last year, I had gone well and finished in 10h33, so a sub 11hr was my basic aim at the start of the race. NEVER MIND IN MY PRESENT CONDITION! It just didnít seem possible.

Walking through most of the frequent aid stations allows plenty of time to not gulp down anything the wrong way, and finish the water by the time youíve got to the next concoction - Ďdieselí (energy drink) for example, if you wanted a variety. Coke was also available, as well as a noxious ĎBouillon?í soup, that I tried once and didnít repeat. The drinking water was from underground pipes, so was actually fresh and beautifully cold, not getting lukewarm and fly ridden like on most events. Repeated dousing from cold sponges particularly around the back of my neck kept me from suffering too badly in the heat.

I had to get a helper to remove the timing chip on a Velcro strap from around my ankle, to refix it over the sock so it didnít rub. I knew this would only get worse, but I was about incapable of moving it myself. Other than this, my ancient sh*gged out pair of Adidas Cairo trainers gave me no blisters whatsoever, and there were no knee or musculature problems at all, which I donít take for granted and am thankful for.

It would have hurt if I had knocked my arm against anyone, which was amazing I didnít do really, as there were some sections where you were running back against the oncoming runners. Luckily Iím a confident runner in a crowd, and this was no problem. The temperature was about 30 degrees, thankfully with just enough wind to take some edge off it. (It was stiflingly windless the day after for instance.)

Finally during lap three I was feeling a bit rough and slightly dizzy now and again, and feeling some fatigue. I adopted the strategy of power walking up any uphill sections or if you feel low. This hardly loses any time compared to those who continue to try and run up slowly to no effect, but leaves you refreshed when you re-commence running again. This is the biggest tip I would give to anyone for IM race running.

BlueDougal was even further back on lap three, but I could blow anytime, the race between us was far from over. At the end of lap three I found my pal had got down from Heartbreak Hill and he gave me the exact time Ė 4.58pm. So assuming the previous time check Iíd been given was not too approximate, I had run a 58 minute lap, and needed to do the final one in 1h02 ishÖi.e.with 4 minutes slowdown in hand.

But lap four was at a slower pace with walking sections more frequently than before. I tried and tried but I had to accept the reality of a definitely slower pace. Still, to finish in 11h and a bit whatever would be a fantastic time, so just keep plugging away and do your best I told myself. Passed BlueDougal for the last time - told him in no circumstances was he to let me down.

I couldnít even pick the pace up much for the last few k, there was little much to give, but I stopped myself from walking and battled on, knowing it wasnít long now.

The happiest man in the world ran up the finish chute to see a time of 10h57m14s in front of him. It was an amazing experience, not that I wish to ever repeat it. From my initial reckoning I think I was 12th best Brit finisher, including one Female PRO, out of 178 entered overall. Bluedougal wasn't so far behind in 11:16, not bad for a man one day after coming down with a cold!

Looking at the thumbnails from http://www.asiphoto.net/ (Bib number 1343) you can see Iím wincing on every single photo. It wasnít that bad all the way round, but the pictures donít lie, it was an unwanted challenge to compete in this fashion. It wasnít a fun race, just something I had to come to terms with during the long day or choose to quit. I noticed on the recent C5 airings of IM SA 06 that they briefly showed a guy on the run with his arm in a sling, so I'm not unique.

455th place Overall, out of 1678 starters (top 27.1%) or 1503 finishers (30.3%)

Split rankings:

Swim 1:16.58 1196th
T1 2.55 824th
Bike lap 1 1:49.42 705th
Bike lap 2 1:54.24 704th
Bike lap 3 2:02.03 752nd
Bike Total 5:46.10 709th
T2 2.11 514th
Run lap 1 55.40 789th
Run lap 2 54.31 234th
Run lap 3 58.08 195th
Run lap 4 1:00.38 224th
Total run 3:48.59 275th

You can see from this that my bike performance is most affected. I would have hoped to be around 200-400 rank here. My run held up amazingly well, and Iím very chuffed with that. So an even more annoying thing Iím kicking myself about is that I could have done very well overall on the day, possibly even getting an outright IM PB sub 10h30. But Iíll never know now.

Charting my progress throughout the field:

1196th after swim
1129th after transition exiting T1
920th after Bike lap 1
828th after Bike lap 2
813th after Bike lap 3 (puncture here)
794th after the transition exiting T2
778th after Run lap 1
646th after Run lap 2
526th after Run lap 3
455th after Run lap 4

My pal heard secondhand from the group he was in that their competitor had to go to hospital with stomach problems. So could someone come along with a credit card!! 500 Francs for an ambulance ride was also mentioned. As my arm seemed stable and the thought of the horrendous claiming procedure assuming my travel insurance even covered the hospital bill, I figured Iíd see how it goes and ideally wait till I got back to Blighty on Tuesday get it checked out. My forearm and elbow swelled and ibuprofen was essential at times, but I bought a sling in Zurich for comfort and it was bearable. Dunno how I slept though, it hurts more on an evening, and could hardly bear to adjust my arm.

An x-ray Wednesday morning confirmed a fractured elbow, which explained why it was so difficult to adjust the angle of my arm during the bike. I think the arm has been banged hard too as the weakness in the hand is not fully explained. After one week 3 days I still canít straighten the arm and have the strength of a cripple, but slowly getting better. Pretty worried though as no way could I swim, and itís really knocked me back all over. Competing in the Longest Day ironman-distance tri in under two more weeks is looking somewhat ambitiousÖÖ.!

Hard to believe the cripple with the broken body writing this did the race I have just reported on. But thatís Ironman Ė seems impossible from afar, but on the day you can usually get on with it!

Edited to add the ASI pics:

Going for the bottle as usual.

Look someones drafting me. i.e. erm, not the other way round. I don't look too happy..

Top of the aptly named Heartbreak Hill. Well it was accurately named as i got a front puncture for no apparent reason just before the last lap ascent.

Still looking a bit 'andy at the start of the run.. Wink Didn't work out trying to run like this

I should have let go of that imaginary dog lead by now....A happy man!

Anthony Gerundini
LincolnTri[/i]
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18

Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:15 am; edited 5 times in total
edwarma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the beard of Zeus, that is the most bonkers thing I've read in a long time.

Truly Awesome, well done.
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit cake !

crazy boy - well done
duncan74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop whinging and get your arse to TLD you slacker. And the time doesn't count as you got outside assistance, so well done blue for winning the competition.

You totally bloody loon. Worship

www.likeys.com - santa's little helper.
ClarkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ! I've been whinging all week about coming off at the Beauty and sustaining a grazed knee.

Just awesome - a proper IronMan.

By the way, when they checked your elbow did they examine your head to? Wink
duncan74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClarkyBoy wrote:

By the way, when they checked your elbow did they examine your head to? Wink

That was knackered before the crash. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mattS2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strewth... and here I am worrying about a twinge in my calf Rolling Eyes

Sub 11hrs with a broken elbow? Mucho-respect! Worship Worship Worship
Paul L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Race Report. Cool

But you take my theory that all Ironmen are nutters to a new level! Shocked Wink

Recover Strong, Paul. Very Happy
PHILIPAEC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your accident

Thanks for an inspirational report. Worship

Good luck with the recovery
JC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have taken you ages to type all that with your left hand!

Congrats on your finish - inspirational stuff.

Watch where you are going next time? Wink
Pilotdavo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard core effort and I'll be thinking of your race if I start moaning about getting a bit tired on Sunday!

Well done, but you are mad.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duncan74 wrote:
Stop whinging and get your arse to TLD you slacker. And the time doesn't count as you got outside assistance, so well done blue for winning the competition.

Cheers for all the feedback so far, it's perked me up a bit. Stopped feeling quite so sorry for myself, and feeling a bit more positive like my old self now.

I sincerely hope I'll be back to 100% and kicking ar*e ASAP. Haven't actually ruled out doing TLD yet...assuming I can limp through the swim without too much discomfort. The recovery process may not be linear - one family member was fine after a week with some sort of elbow ailment.

So IM triple challenge isnt definitely dead yet. But if BlueDougal is finally 100% for once, it could be too much of a big ask to expect to stay with him this time. Just to be back competing something like will be great.

You never know how much you appreciate stuff you take for granted, until it's taken away from you. I'm sure we've all been there with running injuries for instances.

It's the not knowing if my arm will ever be 100% again that is the worrying thing. Being a card carrying nutcase, I appreciate I need to function 100% in order to cope with whatever daft situation I might put myself in.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18

Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
pip

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! thats mad!

well done for being so damn, hmm, iron Wink
duncan74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are cycling at TLD, then can you make sure that you stay away from Dave, my relay cyclist. You are dangerous to be around. Mind you, I doubt you'll get many people drafting you now...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

duncan74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
duncan74 wrote:

Cheers for all the feedback so far, it's perked me up a bit. Stopped feeling quite so sorry for myself, and feeling a bit more positive like my old self now.

Oh, I may have a career as a motivational speaker ahead of me. Dre is my agent, all enquiries regarding after dinner speaches for your club dinner should be made through him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: