Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nutrition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Nutrition Reply with quote

I have recently decided to start training for the triathlon and I'm keen to find out what I should do about my eating habits, they're not the best, in fact they're pretty sloppy.

Does it make a real difference by eating well and what are the basic things I should follow? Any advice would be welcome, especially what to eat before and how long before training
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just from experience... no special insight.

for training:
swimming - i cant cope with anything too solid much less than 3 hrs before a swim (one time we got chicken nuggets from McD's for lunch.. combined our order to a box of 20, dumbass server gave us 2 boxes of 20... did we eat them.. yes... did i nearly hurl at swim coaching 5 hours later... Laughing ). tend to sip an energy drink on the way to the pool, and have one by the side.

running - again a couple of hours is my usual limit. However long runs first thing cause a problem as you're going out on empty. Some people just swig energy drink, i've found porridge & banana is quickly digested.. or maybe rice pudding.

bike - the good news is you can get away with almost anything on the bike, assuming you're not going time trialling or something really anaerobic.

racing:
usually go with my running brekkie a few hours before (usually decided by my start time, journey time, and how early i can be arsed to get up).
electrolyte drink on the bike, maybe energy bar if its a longer one. i carry a couple of gels on the run if its over 5k.. tho one often ends up at the finish with me!

there ya go.. sure someone can give you a load of correct nutrinional waffle too Wink
DONA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: iso Reply with quote

I have just a few days ago, been to a sports nutritionist and this is what he recommened me to take:

Ultrafit is an optimum level multivitamin and mineral supplement ideal for anyone undertaking exercise of any type, either for recreational or professional.

It contains high level B complex vitamins which are vital for energy production and for cardiovascular protection.

It contains potent antioxidant protection, particularly in terms of vitamins A, C and E and the minerals selenium and zinc.

Antioxidants protect us against a variety of degenerative diseases including atherosclerosis, some cancers, diabetes, ageing and a number of inflammatory diseases.

Although we require oxygen to burn fuels and create energy oxygen is toxic to us and indeed all biological systems.

It is important to note that all of the killer diseases are degenerative and are bound up with the fact that the modern diet (since farming some 10,000 years ago) contains only a small proportion of the nutrients we used to obtain from our prefarming diet.

CO-QENERGIZE 30MGM

This supplement contains the enzyme ubiquinone (or coenzyme Q10) that stimulates the mitochondria where fuels are oxidized and energy released.

It is within the mitochondria that oxygen radicals are produced and therefore antioxidant protection is vital here.

Coenzyme provides potent antioxidant protection to the cardiovascular system and is used for hypertension and other cardiovascular problems.

Athletes use more oxygen than others of the population and therefore require more protection from oxidative damage.

RHODIOLA ROSEA.

This is a wonderful Russian herb that has been used for hundreds of years to improve energy levels, improve immune function, memory and concentration and modify adrenal stress response.

Any natural supplement that modifies adrenal response is a great benefit because stress hormones from the adrenal glands (adrenaline and cortisone catecholamines and glucocorticoids) cause havoc in every system f the body.

Adrenaline stresses the cardiovascular system.

function, raises blood glucose to dangerous levels (hyperglcaemia) and potentiates memory loss osteoporosis, muscular weakness and diabetes.

All diseases involve adrenal stress response to a greater or lesser degree. Cortisone attacks neural cells, breaks down bone and muscle, suppresses immune

VITAMIN C

Vitamin C is vital for all systems of the body.

It is essential for production of collagen the material that strengthens all connective tissue, particularly in bone and muscle.

It is in fact the degeneration of the connective tissue in blood vessels that creates the conditions that ultimately result in heart disease.

Small lesions in blood vessel walls are repaired by the body using fat/protein complexes know as lipoproteins or apoproteins.

These vascular band-aids then become the focus for the build up of deposits from within the circulation and eventually can result in blockage of arteries.

Oxygen and fuel supply to the heart is blocked and heart attack results.

Heart disease is essentially blood vessel disease that is caused by poor collagen.

Poor collagen production s caused by vitamin C deficiency.

Ultimately heart disease is caused by a sub clinical for of scurvy.

There are other factors at work such as oxdation of fats. Oxidized fats adhere to blood vessel walls, particularly where lesions have occurred.

Vitamin C is a powerful water soluble antioxidant in circulation and prevents oxidation of fats within the circulation.

The benefits of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) are clear and yet largely ignored by the medical professions.

A Californian study in the 1980s demonstrated a 42% drop in cardiovascular disease in an elderly population over 10 years who were given 400mgm of the vitamin daily.

This is an astonishing result unmatched by any cardiovascular drug of any type.

Human breast milk contains around 45 mgm of ascorbic acid per litre.

This equates to 90 mgm in 24 hours.

An infant weighs around 3 kilos and this equates to 30mm per kilo.

The government RDA for vitamin c is 60mgm for an adult male or around 1mgm per kilo.

Does this make sense?

To ask the question is to answer it.

Vitamin C is also essential for growth hormone production and therefore is vitally important for repair and recovery after exercise and sport.

BRANCOS.

Brancos are the three branched chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine and valine.

The brancos are the three amino acids oxidised as fuel within muscle tissue during exercise.

This loss of these amino acids contributes significantly to degradation (catabolism) of muscle proteins during exercise and therefore provision of supplementary brancos will reduce this catabolism.

This direct oxidation of brancos in muscle is quite different from the liver production of glucose using amino acids derived from muscle in order to back up the supply of blood glucose ad therefore stabilize blood glucose levels (gluceostasis) during exercise.

Both processes occur during exercise, both contribute to muscle degradation and loss and both may be limited by correct fuelling.

Central fatigue syndrome is a serious condition affecting athletes who either overtrain or underfuel or both.

Central fatigue syndrome is caused by excess loss of the brancos.

These three amino acids compete with a fourth tryptophan, for sites on the protein carrier that carries these aminos across the blood brain barrier.

The loss of the brancos allows tryptophan to occupy all the sites on the protein carrier and therefore tryptophan floods into the brain and central nervous system.

Tryptohan converts to serotonin and excess serotonin (serotonin syndrome) has been implicated in central fatigue syndrome.

This condition results in lethargy, poor appetite, pessimism, depression, inability to train and loss of drive and ambition.

It is not uncommon and is directly related to poor fuelling.

He also has this drink to take when you are training only, it is made up of 50% gloucouse and 50% fructous - this is what makes up your carbs and re fuels your liver which is
the most important thing. I am gonna give it a try and will report back. Seamingly you get 35% more energy from drinking it.
ISO Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

What Dona has just listed is part of our nutrition assessment service. Shown are some of the supplement recommendations but we do also offer comprehensive nutritional information.

Here are some of the basics:

Fuelling systems:
The body has two systems for supplying fuel. The first supplies glucose to the muscles and the second provides the glycogen necessary for brain function.
You must not forget about the brain as this is the most energy expensive organ in the body. The brain gets its glycogen supply from one place only - the liver.

When fuelling for a race your carbohydrate balance is important as only certain carbs will stock up the liver's (very small) store (75g). Here are some basic fuelling tips for race day.

Before bed on the previous evening have a snack consisting of a small amount of carbohydrate - an ideal combo would be honey on toast. Honey consists of an almost 50/50 ratio of Glucose and Fructose - this is important because the fructose goes straight to the liver intact ensuring you are correctly fuelled for the night fast (remember your brain still burns many calories whilst you sleep). The toast will raise blood sugar levels gently allowing a small release of insulin which aids in the night time muscle building process.
Be aware that even fuelling before bed, the liver will be empty in the morning and when this happens the body will attack protein (muscle) by releasing stress hormones to quickly create glycogen for the brain - SO you must again refuel in the morning.
Again, honey and toast is ideal - interestingly honey does not create an insulin spike so don't worry about playing havoc with blood sugar. (Having sufficient liver fuel ensures you will not hit the wall - usually you still have plenty of muscle fuel left at this point but the brain shuts down unnecessary systems to prevent coma).

Other than the brain fuel, make sure you have plenty of complex carbs (pasta, potatoes etc) and when competing use a 6% carb drink for maximum efficiency.

Use protein and complex carbs within an hour after the race to aid recovery.

This is a simple overview but if you wish to discuss matters further you can telephone ISO ACTIVE on 0131 622 5101 or visit www.isoactive.com and fill out our questionnaire (basic - but only a method of introduction) - our services are FREE.

Regards
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dona /ISOman - this is a fascinating thread. It seems like sports nutrition is a massive topic. Dona, I would be really interested to know whether you notice any perceived improvements or differences once you've been taking these supplements for a while. Also (and I'll understand if you don't want to say), how much does it set you back for a months supply?
Erik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I used to do athletics (though non-endurance) and always found my diet a hard thing to maintain, mainly because there is no way to measure it's benefits, apart from 'feeling better' and you never know if that's your diet or another factor (training well, good sleep, upcoming illness etc....)
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good whey protein powder will set you back around 20 for at least a month's suppply. (Remember we are not body builders!) And I probably get through about 20 on carb drinks in the same period. (I also don't eat vegetables, so I spend some money on antioxidants as well). Unless you are elite or near to it, you don't need to start spending masses of money on supplements.

BB
DONA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowpoke rodriguez wrote:
Dona /ISOman - this is a fascinating thread. It seems like sports nutrition is a massive topic. Dona, I would be really interested to know whether you notice any perceived improvements or differences once you've been taking these supplements for a while. Also (and I'll understand if you don't want to say), how much does it set you back for a months supply?

I will defo let you know how I get on. I am gonna get the stuff this weekend.
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get my stuff from www.affordablesupplements.co.uk and they are very good.
i only use whey protein as i struggle to get enough from food.
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did everyone get an unsolicited private message from our newest member neo... ?

join, don't contribute.. self promotion.. nice one. Rolling Eyes

profile says edinburgh.. one of your cronies iso-man ?
dr dre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All got it according to TT admin dude ! creative but very cheeky
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't give much (any?) info on the service or why they#he should be qualified to do it.. etc
dr dre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen stuff on this company before , its a kind of pyramid sales thing , you pay to be a rep make a few sales and then recruit some reps yourself who pay you a fee. A mate tried to get me into it once Laughing No qualification required.

Hey Neo you listening ?
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neo, I've got these nutrition pills, should I take the red one or the blue one........
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutrition makes a massive difference IMHO - good quality fresh food, and lots of it. I'm not one for fad diets or any of that stuff, and I love eating. I have dumped all the suppliments as I couldn't see any benefit from them, preferring to take the natural route as it were.

I have also noticed that during junk food binges (which I sometimes have) my performance drops off. When I maintain a decent balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg, then I feel so much better. I also believe in the philosopy that there is no such thing as bad food, ie, fat isn't bad. More fat would save thousands of malnurished people - moderation and balance is the key, so the occasional cream cake is ok.

And of course remember all that water, and don't believe everything you read in the papers, or in adverts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: