Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nutrition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words Chris - everything in moderation is the way to go.

I know someone who was on the Atkins diet - that just can't be healthy. She lost a load of weight in the first couple of weeks but never had any energy. I think we were designed to eat a balanced diet of meat and veg etc. I try and avoid anything refined too - you can be pretty sure that there's hidden sugars, salt etc. Breakfast cereals are terrible for that. Check the nutritional panels and you'll see there's almost no difference between something like special k (that purports to be healthy) and extra lardo choco pops.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend on the Atkins diet - she was already pretty large. She cut out most of what I saw as food and just at the nice bits - masses of meat (especially bacon). She only stuck to it for 3 weeks, then reverted back to normal.
DONA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got a private message from Neo. I don't trust anyone who askes for my phone number. You just don't know who the hell they are. If you are listening Neo, soz but it u are a bit suspect!

Confused
ISO Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Who Reply with quote

Interestingly I didn't receive a private message from Neo. Could someone please forward it to me - very curious.

Our information is all free and can be backed up with scientific references, I'm sure Dona can verify as she appears to one of our customers...

A note on the Atkins for those of you tempted....
In a nutshell the Atkins (and any other high protein/ low carb diets) fool your body into thinking you are starving. Under normal circumstances we burn mainly carbohydrate and varying degrees of fat depending on exercise intensity - we do burn protein but usually only as a result of catabolism.
These diets take your carbohydrate levels so low that the body realises it would be dangerous to break down too much protein (body tissue or muscle) and so the brain switches its primary fuel source (glycogen) to ketones (fat). Burning fat in the brain is the key to the success of the Atkins diet - beware though that this is not normal and must not be sustained.
You need to eat "good fats" - Omega 3 (usually from fish) and Omega 6 (Flax seeds, hemp oil etc) because your brain requires these fats to build new neural networks - try to avoid JUST sausages and chops - saturated animal fat is not much use to us. You also require fibre (from carbohydrates), antioxidants (from fruit and veg) and a multitude of other nutrients absent from these plans.

So, proceed with caution.....
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've forwarded it to you ISO Man.

TT
WildWill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently training to be a sports nutritionist (will qualify Feb) and I seem to spend half my time telling people to stop away from the Atkins diet Twisted Evil

It is unsound and based on pseudo science at the best and is down right dangerous at the worst I know 3 people that have ended up in hospital due to this diet liver, kidney and even eyesite problem

It has even worst long term prospects as it causes the body to leach calcium

I feel that the A diet is even worst than the once just as popular F-Plan diet which advocated about 800kcals per day and the rest bran

Only a balanced diet should be followed especially by athletes , who already put there body under stress

A healthy diet is a way of life not a fad weather it be Atkins, F-Plan, Soup or green avoid them all

Look for a balance in your diet and train well and your body will change itselff to that which you desire

WW
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, WW.

It irritates the hell out of me when I see these so-called diet experts espousing the next quick-fix fad to those people who desperately want a magic pill so they can lose that 3 stone of blubber without having to do anything like work, or change. Evil or Very Mad

Good luck with your course, WW. I'll have to have a talk with you about that if you are ever back down for an Unofficial Social.

BB

P.S. After a year of tris and marathons, my body shape has finally become what I wanted. The final proof came in the London Tri pic of me exiting the swim. The first pic of me at a tri was a sprint at Eton last year, wearing my wetsuit. I still looked doughy. This year, I officially look damn good in rubber! The pear-shape has been banished! Cool
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atkins diet is so sad Crying or Very sad It's a classic example of that Hollywood saying, I think it goes 'Nobody ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the public'. Which is quite funny when they're dealing with movies. But the Atkins can endanger the public's health Shocked This week, I think, there's a media claim that a girl has died from this extreme diet Crying or Very sad It's awful, the con tricks that some people are prepared to carry out just to make themselves a bit more cash. Do the Atkins diet promoters sleep well at night, with a clear conscience? The Atknis reminds me of the staple diet in the U.S.A. during the fifties and sixties. Steak and eggs for breakfast and dinner , burgers at most other times etc, and we all know what that did for the careers of cardiologists ( no offence to cardiologists).
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steak and eggs sounds good
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live without veg...but no chips? Bread? Pizza? Pasta? Baked potatoes with cheese? Apparently, even cakes are off the Atkins menu! Shocked

All the best of food and they're not allowed to eat it - I think I'd rather eat less and exercise more. Obvious, really, and cheaper than this Atkins rubbish Mad
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't eat much veg (ie variety) but I really enjoy what I do eat. After a while on just meat and carbo, I get bored.

I need veg
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't beleive anything i read in the papers.

the atkins theory has some semi-scientific background.
acheives it's goal well so far as i can see.
falls down when taken too far or abused by fanatics (i.e. the zero carb phase is only meant to be for 2-4 weeks before some carbs are introduced)
the atkins diet killed a girl? how do they prove that... was she following it properly or just making it up from the minimal information in previous press hype...
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl was 16 year old Rachel Husky . http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,7045274%255E912,00.html[url] Not as I thought, media more, professional opinion Surprised In America, of course Crying or Very sad [/url]
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Embarassed dud link. try http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,7045274%255E912,00.html
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed third time lucky http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,7045274%255E912,00.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: