Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nutrition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helmut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Ed, it is difficult for many athletes to get away from loading up on carbs as this is considered the norm. But you'd find improving the ratio of nutrients taken in at meal times would improve the bodies recovery and so performance.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinman, ideally, you never come off a diet. You should look to take in the amount of calories that are ideal for your height/weight/exercise level, and stick to it for life. You don't crash diet to a certain weight and then come off it. That's where yo-yo dieting starts. Evil or Very Mad

This obviously doesn't reward you with a quick weight loss, but steadily takes off a pound a week, maybe two. As your body gets smaller, your body needs less calories, and so the weight loss slows, until it eventually stops. (Obviously a body that is mostly fat needs less calories than a body at the same weight that is mostly muscle, but you get the idea). This will also lead to the weight staying off.

Then, of course, there are things like Christmas and the London Marathon, where our diet does not match our energy needs, so it is not all plain sailing! Smile

BB

P.S. One thing I hate is when the Atkins diet is called the "high protein" diet. Absolute gonads dreamt up by marketing types, to make it sound better. It is "low carb", no more, no less.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot something. Calorie controlled diets, by definition, will fail because of their temporary nature. If you want to permanently lose weight, you need a lifestyle change.
DONA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about the Akins diet - have you seen with your own eyes just how many people are on it? I work in an office which employes 2000 ppl and when I go for lunch in our huge canteen, I can look around and see many many women and MEN who are obviously on this diet. It's really scary not to see potatoes and veg on ppl plates......

A recipe for you all which is not pasta.

Take 2-4 turkey thinly cut steaks and marinade them in M&S 20 min taquilla, chilly and lime marinade for 30 mins. Flame grill them on your bbq serve with cripsy salad and dressing of your choice, baby potatoes and flame grilled half peppers that have been covered with the marinade also - yum yum !!
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally at a tangent....has anyone ever tried to keep a nutrition log?

I've just started noting down what I eat during the week but I have no idea as to how to go about calculating food that is beyond my control (e.g. restaurant/canteen lunches). I've got digital scales at home, so that'll be no probs but I know from experience that chefs don't obey the rules of healthy cooking (loads of butter, cream, etc.)!

Which reminds me....time for lunch!
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried it... but usually fail to be useful for the reason you mention.

if it's home made or eat out you dont get nice convenient wrappers to get the info off.

there are various (mostly americanised) websites with info on but usually not ideal
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to prove your point, I had burger and chips for lunch today - I felt like some junk food, even though it wasn't McD/BK/KFC - and have no idea even how much the burger weighed, let alone whether they fried it in olive oil, etc.

Still, I'll carry on to see my eating patterns - I might get a shock at how many "just one biccy" I get through in a day! Embarassed
WildWill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starchy food such as bread and potatoes are diet staples and any diet avoiding them is a FAD on ending the diet the weight is quickly put back on

All the fatty food increases the chance of heart disease

All the extra protein puts extra strain on the kidneys which can lead to long term damage

Eating low levels of carbs creates chemicals called ketones which cause amongst other things: headaches, dizziness and constipation

Your breath smells

Lethargy is likely on low carb diets

The supposed scientific principals that the atkins diet is supposedly based on are pure pseudoscience and unsound – the only way to loose weight is simple maths eat slightly less calories than you use

Carbs are also needed by the body to fuel brain activity – to spare muscle tissue from being sacrificed as energy and to help metabolise fat for use in endurance activities

The sparing of muscle tissue is a key one – part of you weight loss will be from the loss of muscle – which in turn causes you to burn less calories

Your body can then go into a starvation like mode that will case the expulsion of essential minerals from your body – primarily calcium and potassium – and ask anyone who suffers from an osteo complaint “you don’t want this”

I know 3 people that have been admitted to hospital as a result of the diet

And I’m a sports nutritionist / dietician
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you didn't qualify till feb will
WildWill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - i am a dietician and qualify as sprts nutritionist in January Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: