Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
help - 1st tri on sunday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cortez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: help - 1st tri on sunday Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm doing my 1st tri on Sunday (oly distance, Bedford).

Excited and nervous about it and have a few questions that I'm hoping someone may be able to answer.

1st - Done a fair few bike/run bricks but occassionally get a real threat of cramp in my calves when I start the run. This really slows me down for the 1st 1 -2 km.

I always hydrate properly when I do the bricks so don't know why it happens. Is there any excercise you can do towards the end of the bike to loosen your calves (or a quick excercise in T2?).

2nd - My bikes been making a few creaking noises this week and since my bike mechanics are awful and it's probably too late to take it to a shop, does anyone know of a good website that explains bike mechanics?

3rd - Is it best to take a spare tube for punctures as in training or is there something that makes punctures easier and quicker to repair for racing?
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Cortez!!

First tri is Oly distance - nothing like launching yourself in at the deep end! Best of luck.

I'm no cyclist but was having exactly the same calf cramping problem you are - I was cramping in T2. Someone in the club who is a cyclist said I had my saddle too high - I dropped it by a fraction and problem was solved.

Sorry, can't help with no.2 and I cross my fingers and just hope no3 happens to someone else other than me.

Let us know how you get on.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. i get stitches off the bike.. not quite the same.. but i do abdominal stretches to try to prevent it. Would suggest similar for the calves.. with the pedals at 12:30 position (vertical) drop the lower ankle to stretch your calf.. repeat with the other side.... guess you could unclip and try pointing your toes too.

2. try to isolate the creaking.. does it only happen when pedalling, pedalling hard, standing, pulling on the bars... ?
common creaking sources:
bearings - wheels (unlikely), headset (rare in my experience but may happen when you're pulling at the bars), bottom bracket (in time with pedalling), jockey wheels (more of a squeaking, dependant on gear selection)
clamps/joins - handlebar clamp (when pulling/pressing on the bars), cranks (the taper where the cranks sit on the bottom bracket axle), seat clamp (only when sitting, or seated climbing), saddle clamp (as seat clamp), quick releases (unlikely)

3. i always carry spare inner and CO2 cartridge pump and often multitool and instant patches. I'd rather finish an event having punctured than pull out
G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cortez Very Happy

Good luck for Sunday!

1 - I've heard it helps to spin for the last few mins of the bike ride in a low gear to loosen the legs up. Other than that a bit of streching should sort it out.

2 - As Ed says could be a whole host of things, where is it creaking?

3 - Again I always carry a spare tube and CO2 inflator. It helps to practise so you can do it as quickly as possible if you need to. Check your tyres thoroughly to see if there is anything in them, or worn or cracked. If they are in decent nick then punctures shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Cheers

G
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh ohohohoh... TYRE LEVERS
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or tyre lever (singular)... I don't know how to use more than one and never have!
Cortez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew doing an Oly as my 1st tri. Confused

I have trained really hard since April though so I'm hoping I'll get round ok.

ed_m - creaking seems to occur when pedalling hard up hills so I guess it's possibly the handlebar clamp.
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cortez Smile
good for you doing an oly tri -makes me think I should take the plunge next year Embarassed -let us know how you get on.
I've been practising taking my wheels on and off so that if I ever have to in a race it should be easier Exclamation
I had a squeek and tried all sorts to find out what it was, just about to book it in at the bike shop when I realised it was the gel saddle cover that I had bought rubbing against my shorts Exclamation Wouldn't I have looked a fool Embarassed Hope yours is as easy solved.
Good luck Wink
DONA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cortez!

First off - good luck!!

Second - the ppl on this site are great at helping you with the many questions that you will defo have!

I have never had cramp in my calfs and I think this is because I have my bike correctly fitted to my size of body. Also, the ppl in my club told me that just before you come into T2 ALWAYS have your bike in a gear were your legs spin fast. Also, once you start running, start off with shuffle steps instead of full normal strides. I have only done 4 Sprints but on each one I have followed these rules and have never suffered cramps.

Don't know much about bikes.

I carry an innertube and 2 tyre leavers. You have prob read my thread about wedgies - yes I really hate them but I have one on my bike to carry these damm things!

Good luck again!! Very Happy
Cortez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. Very Happy

I'm sure I'll be posting with more questions in the next few days in the lead up to the race.

I'll certainly post back after the race and let you know if I managed it!
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggest you also check out the beginners forum for previous similar threads cortez
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cortez MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE FUN !

enjoy and good luck !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: