Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Electronic muscle stimulators
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larstorders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Electronic muscle stimulators Reply with quote

Has anyone used an electronic muscle stimulator for strain treatment , massage, rehab etc? Did it work?
I had a good result from a professional physios machine on a sore achilles.
I,m wondering if machines such as "Bodi-Tek for around a hundred pounds could produce similar results.
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larstorders, Very Happy
I would say it depends on the injury. Think they are fine to relax and try to break the cycle that you can get in from pain but don't overdo it too quickly. Exclamation See it as similar to ice, heat, etc and plays a part. Would have thought you could get something less than 100 for home use. My physio' has been with people with a learning disability for the past 13 years so not 100% upto date with acute type things so is my "physio'common sense" that is talking ( but maybe appropriate speciality for triathlete training some would say Wink )
larstorders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Sue Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Sue. It seems few people around the net ( I,ve posted this question on other sites) have tried one of these gadgets. So, I'll just get one and see. Will share results, if there are any?
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen those QVC-style selling promos ("you can't buy this in the shops...") but I've never heard of anyone actually using them, apart from Johnny Knoxville Twisted Evil

I've heard that the Bianchi and Phonak cycling teams use them but that may just be the usual PR - I'd be interested to hear of any improvements
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of them are designed just to make your abs more defined and then there are the ones such as Compex which cost a damn site more but look like the 'real deal'.

http://www.frogbuilder.com/index.phtml?d=374&address=www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpedia_Online_COMPEX___EMS_SYSTEMS_119.html
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Ouch! Didn't realise they cost that much!

The ones that the cycling teams used were a French make but similar to the Compex - i.e., they looked like the badger's nadgers!
WildWill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one (called a Tense - i think) use to use it on swilling in my neck (dodgy disc) but now i go to a sports theropist and have acupucture which is great

Twisted Evil
WildWill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swelling not swilling Confused
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruined the moment there! I was just imagine you having problems in swilling vodka shots and needing an electro-stimulator to help you!
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Larstorders meant TNS machines (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation Surprised ) which are different to the type that "give you defined abs" -unsure what the cycling teams use their for!! Confused Mainly used for pain relief by stimulating the body to produce its own natural substances but also have a massaging effect. Smile Didnt want people to think that Larstorders wanted one to improve his "6 pack" Wink
larstorders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am now in posesion of tens/ ems thingy. Picture of Jodie Swallow wired up to this machine convinced me. Who could, but trust that smiling face. In the spirit of todays tri talk net athon I will do a live on line trial of this apparatus. Abs are fine Sue, Calfs are not so hot.
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are you wired up as you mail Question Question
Could get a bit tricky Exclamation
And what, may I ask was Jodie Swallow using a tens on Question or didn't you have to look that far to be convinced Wink
larstorders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was applied to her biceps and triceps of course Sue. I would put Smiley face here but I cant figure out how to apply them yet.
larstorders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible to post whilst using ems tens machine as cant see monitor etc from lying on floor position. It was a not unpleasant massaging sensation. No harm seems to have been done. Smile
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One test of a massage is how you feel the day after, I think. Well this morning, my calfs felt a lot more relaxed than the same time yesterday, just like I'd had a professional massage Very Happy . The machine Bodi_Tek II is indeed one of those, improve your abs while sat in front of the telly devices, Sue Wink . I chose it for the massage therapysetting, which is supposed to be aproppriatte post exercise, whenever or even for a warm up, though I guess experimentation is required for the time period. Also has settings for shiatsu effect, toning, muscle building, Grrr, and a tens pain control facility. So I'll shut up about it now and think of something else to talk about Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: