Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Any vegetarians among you
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Any vegetarians among you Reply with quote

Anyone else a veggie Very Happy .
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my hand up to that one Smile
Makes it very difficult in other countries don't you find Question
Ever tried to get a high carbo veggie meal in Paris before the marathon Question Question My husband nearly divorced me Crying or Very sad I don't know anyone else in my shere of friends who is totally veggie, most eat fish or even chicken and think that counts Evil or Very Mad
thinman220

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see that doc on Peter Stringer last night on BBC3? Very interesting views. I think I agree with him in principle but I am a confirmed meat eater, however only buy free range produce. The treating humans as animals argument is also very interesting as you could see histeria in people which I think is quite unnecessary.
larstorders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's just us two then Sue Smile . Oh, how everyone laughs when we remember the look on the Frenchies faces Shocked when I used to remove the jambon from my jambon baguetteand place it in the bin Laughing sometimes right in the shop doorway Laughing Laughing I haven't visited France for years though. A sophisticated city like Paris couldn't provide a meat free meal for you Shocked How do you like your pomme frites then Smile with mustard ketchup, barbacue sauce, mayonaise Confused , or have they actually discovered salt and vinegar Question
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Pomme frites with vinegar?? Philistine! Ketchup or mayonnaise or otherwise just plain salt - anything else smothers the taste of potato!

Unless you mean "proper", i.e., white wine, vinegar - which the French invented a couple of centuries ago.... Wink
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Does this depend on where or how you were brought up Question
In my younger days in Yorkshire, vinegar always came with salt on ya chips- and boy did it taste good Smile Wink
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it [u]is[/u] regional - vinegar seems to be a favourite north of the Watford Gap. A bit like the HP-Heinz divide Smile
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what's your definition of vegetarian? Given that the EU are still arguing over this one, I'd be interested to know which type you are!
larstorders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a pomme frites caravan catch fire Shocked just thought I'd mention that. nobody was hurt but it was v spectacular. Chips always came with salt and vinegar when I was a kid up north. Despite being a veggie, I cant say as I can find much taste in the humble potatoe. Any one worried about acrylamide Question

Last edited by larstorders on Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
larstorders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a veggie is one who doesn't eat animals. And I guess animal would be defined as a creature with a nervous system capable of thought which may be demonstrated, perhaps by the ability to make choices or exercise free will. I'll bet every veggie has a different definition though. I think the most important thing is not to get too serious about it all Smile Like some kind of vegetarian fundamentalist Confused You seem interested in vegetarianism Robert, maybe we can coaxe you into to trying it for a week Smile I'm an egg and cheese eating veggie an ovo vegetarian I think
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot's acrylamide den? Embarassed

Only interested as I have friends that are veggies but all with different meanings: vegan, lacto-ovo, fish-eating, non-red-meat-eating, non-beef-eating, non-cuddly-creatures-eating.... Rolling Eyes

I don't eat much animal flesh except for fish - couldn't face giving that up. I'd rather give up coffee (being half Italian, this would be EXTREMELY hard!). Eat other stuff occasionally - I don't make a point of avoiding meat but will usually plump for pasta or fish. Not quite a "proper" veggie!
larstorders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrylamide is a chemical which is formed when starchy foods are heated much above 250 f. cakes Very Happy buns Very Happy crisps Very Happy CHIPS Very Happy especially CHIPS Very Happy There is contoversy as to how carcinogenic it really is, http://www.nature.com/nsu/021001/021001-1.html, and http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=1799, since it only came to light recently Idea Theres no denying that its harmful to humans . In sweden acrylamide leached from plastics into the water table and made the local population very ill. Mcdonalds and burger king were a bit worried earlier this year I think, but it seems to have blown over now. I still eat oven chips at least twice a week though Very Happy how about every one else.
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Wow this acrylamide thing doesn't sound so good -but don't think it will stop "chip" eaters Exclamation I very rarely eat chips, will pinch a few if others have some spare Embarassed but I do cook them for t'other half once a week, is that too mean as he would eat them more often Embarassed
I always say a veggie is someone who doesn't eat meat or fish but as you say there are different definitions depending on the person Confused Being a vegan would be very difficult (no animal products) and I wouldn't like to impose that on the friends who invite us round for eats Exclamation Wouldn't fine anything to eat abroad Crying or Very sad
larstorders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is once a week enough for a chips lover Sue Question .I think chips are such a special 'social' food. easy to share between just two or a large group. And, they're at their best on a dark rainy night , wrapped in news paper and shared with your partner in a bus shelter at the seaside ( I really know how to show a girl a good time Cool ). Hands up Wink , who's you tried them like this . I probably cut back my chip and bread consumption 50% since the acrylamide malarky, but we've got to eat something Exclamation Maybe Mcdonalds will sponsor some dubious research like the wine producers, to convince us that chips will protect us from a heart attack Laughing
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad got me feeling guilty now Larstorders Crying or Very sad You make chips sound such a loving thing to eat and share --BUT would anyone really give you their last chip Question I think not (not you personally Wink ) Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: