Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
help buying a new car
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: help buying a new car Reply with quote

I want to buy a new car this week. well not new, but new to me...

figuring that its a good time, as its nearly xmas, no one will be buying cars, might get a good deal.

anyone got any tips for how to bargain them down??

cheers TT massive!!!
Rofster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Act like you know what your looking at. If a Car Salesman thinks he holds all the cards then he'll play them.

Look at which cars you want, then find out on Autotrader and other garages what they're going for. Find out a bit of info about them i.e. They're known for blowing head gaskets aren't they? and then pop these into teh conversation just before he offers you his "best price" which will obviously be no-where near his "best price2 and even if he won't shift on the car price, get some extras, mat's, personal reg change over etc. mat's may retail at £70 but will only cost him £30 so your both happy Smile

Most cars at around £15k you can probably buy for circa £13.75-£14k with some other bits as well. So, act informed and confident.

Hope it helps a little

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car I've seen is on for 10.5, its worth 10.5, so I'm happy to pay that. Perhaps not the best bargaining position to start from! If they are selling it for 10.5, what sort of mark up will they be making?
any ideas? I'm guessing about £1500. And because its a few days before xmas, they won't be selling many cars this month, right? I reckon I shouldbe able to get a few hundred quid off, 12 months tax and a tank of diesel. What do you think?
Dirty Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a garage selling it, I always try to get an MoT and service thrown in if they don't already do that as standard for 2nd hand cards.

I always just ask them what the best price they can do is and then offer 10% below that. You'll usually meet somewhere near the middle. Offer too low and they wont take you seriously offer too high and they'll fleece you.
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember salesmen are on targets and these are always done at the end of the month and end of the year....December gives you the double whammy !!!!!

its a numbers game with these chaps, so you have the power........the car you want is listed at £10,500 so there are a number of useful approaches:

1. you love the car, and it is for the wife, but your budget is only £9,500 and you have it with you now to spend today.
2. you have seen a similar one (and be prepared with details) locally for £9750
3. you have a friend looking for a similar car and will send him along if they can help.

just some thoughts .......go for it pal !!!!!
Slacko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to give the tyres a kick.
Rob_T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT! buy the first one you see and drive.
look around drive a few models.
have one or two ready as back up so if the one you want wont budge just walk away and say ok no probs i'll go get teh one from ,such and such garage.

ok, if the salesman says i need to check with the manager, just say
" no, if you cant do the deal now, i will deal with the manager direct not you"
or they will keep you sittign there like a lemon.

STICK TO YOUR GUNS, just before yo uhave struck the deal, throw in, "oh year and a full take of petrol as well"

do your homework, look on the parkers website for all the info on teh model read owners reviews and look for reccuring problems.

be firm but polite.
remember there will always be another car just the same or better, they need your money.

and if all else fails, wait till the new year save yourself a grand or two by shopping around more and finding teh correct one.
enterprise rent-a-car have a 50% discount for 5+ days over crimbo so for less that £100 you can have the use of a car for a week.
good luck happy shopping.

what car you looking at BTW?
Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a Passat Tdi 130 estate - easy to get the bikes in, a bit of umph on the long drives - and loads of mpg.

theres loads around, lots have leather etc which I can do without. This one doesn't so is a bit cheaper, which I like.
Rob_T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure it has a full main dealer srevice history.
if its a VW main dealer, if they wont budge on the price see if they can throw in some optional extras for free Wink
Rofster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobT wrote:
just before yo uhave struck the deal, throw in, "oh year and a full take of petrol as well"

That's a superb tip! wait until HE'S hooked on the sale and thinks he's got you and then WAMMo! say something like "Obviously the tank will be full and it alreadty has 12 months tax and ticket?"

I was going to buy a Golf 2.0TDI for £17 and needed up getting the deal for £16, plus mot, tax full tank and my private reg swapped over FOC.

It depends on how much they've made on the overall deal of the car as well. If they've given the previous owner £7500 trade-in against a car they've also made £2k on then you'll get a great deal, if the guy that traded it in to them was YOU (after all this agreesive purchasing advise) then they won't have so much profit in it and hence not as much to bargain with.

Extras are always great if they stand firm on the price because as I said firstly, things cost them less than the retail price, hence they are actually worth less monetary value to them than you i.e. you get a better deal, tehy aren't giving you so much Smile

Happy motoring baby Smile

P.S. Good car as well, should go for about another 100 years

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
Bex2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you doing a part exchange?
i've done a few - and i've ALWAYS had the odd bump/dent/scratch or two (i'm soooo clumsy!) -so make sure you go after dark!! they never notice them in the dark -if its raining its good too -then you get more for it! bargain -done this twice -about to do it again!

good point aobut getting a better deal over xmas! Very Happy
good4age

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ..thanks you lot ...Mr GFA ...garage owner...will tell Very Happy
Rooster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice you lot, I was about to drive down to see the car after work tonight (first chance I've had), called them just to be sure... oh bugger, they just sold it to someone else. Rolling Eyes

so on the lookout for another one now, to do some hard bargaining with!
Rob_T

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one last thing, dont know if your old car is being thrown in as a px( if the repairs are done?) make sure you agree a price on the PX first before you even talk about the price of the other car!
happy shopping
coastal controller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobT wrote:
one last thing, dont know if your old car is being thrown in as a px( if the repairs are done?) make sure you agree a price on the PX first before you even talk about the price of the other car!
happy shopping

I was in car sales for a number of years before my current job, ending up as the Sales Mgr for a Jeep franchise. The price for your px varies depending on the profit margin of the vehicle you are looking at buying. If, a car at £10500 was bought for £9800, then there is only £700 across it, but a car at £4500 that was bought for £3000 has £1500 across it, and thus the dealer can offer more in px against the cheaper car. Sounds odd, but it's true. This means that you need to settle on a car before you look at prices. If a dealer tells you that he will offer you £xxxx for your car against any car he has, then he is a)being lazy and b)working to a worse case scenario (the £10500 car with only £700 across it) and so there is usually more to be had.

The most important thing to remember is the price to change. I have 2 identical cars for sale, but one is £11000 and the other in £12000. I offer you £3000 for your px against one of them, and £4000 against the other. Which is the better deal? They are both the same of course, (£8000 to change) but it feels great that you have been offered £4000 instead of £3000! This 'extra' £1000 is simply the £1000 that the dealer would have knocked off for no px, and is known as an 'over-allowance'. This over-allowance masks the real value of your px, and it is easier to ask for 2 deals, one with no px and then a trade in value if you px your car. The value that you get for your px in this instance will be low, but if you mentally add the money that you are getting off your new car then you will get the px value (including over-allowance) that you would be getting anyway.
It's the price to change that matters; that's how much you will be paying to upgrade. Shocked

Remember also that a dealer buys a car for £10000, and sells it for £11495. He must take the profit across the screen (£1495) and deduct the following:

£1495
less
£250 service
£250 warranty
£50 valet
£500 (knocked off the price as over-allowance)
£50 tank of fuel that you twisted his arm for
£30 Mats that you twisted his arm for
leaves £365
less vat £63.88
PR0FIT £301.12

Out of this £301.12 he must pay his staff, keep the lights on, advertise and maintain his bank loan. (You only need 30 cars x 10 000 each to total £300 000 worth of rolling overdraft and the interest on that is substantial)

Consider that if you visit a dealer and spend £20 000, the dealer may make £300-700. If you visit Next/Top Shop and spend £20 0000, they probably make in excess of £10 000.

The 2 facts to take away are that a) It's the price to change that matter, and b) If you are happy that you have a good deal, then it's a good deal.

Hope this helps.

Coastal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: