Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What do you do for a living? And what would you like to do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trialsguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: What do you do for a living? And what would you like to do? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

After a year of waiting i have just found out i have been unsuccessful in joining the fire service (nice timing on their behalf).

On a another unrelated but related kind of topic my department has been merged into another an my boss has just got a new job.

Which kinda leaves me with a bit of a dilema about what to do with my life. So i wondered:

1) What do you do for a living?

and

2) What would you prefer to be doing (if you go back and start the career path again)?
kevfvstri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good topic
I was a lifeguard for 5 years as my frist full time job!!!
then left to become a carpenter (did my 3 years studding ect)
enjoyed doing it but was so so tierd all the time found my training was going down hill big time!!

And i want to see how fair i can get in triathlon so have now gone back to lifeguarding well duty manger and i love it
gives me the time to train nice easy job and have free use of a pool and gym when evr i want!!
Problem the pay is not very good, but as long as it covers rent food ect im happy!!
IronMike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you tend to race a bit dirty then kev? Very Happy

I am a project manager monday to friday, and work most saturdays as a lifeguard. Do swim coaching on a tuesday night and pretty much train and sleep the rest of the time. Would like to own my own tri coaching business with a permanent premises for workouts etc. That is the goal i am currently working towards anyway.
trialsguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevfvstri wrote:

And i want to see how far i can get in triathlon

Sorry to be nosey just ive been having similar thoughts (much to my dad's disaproval).

How much training do you do?
How long have you been competing?
How old are you?
Whats you target? Plus what do you think you would have to do to get sponsered? Would a sponsership be enough to live on?
kevfvstri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trialsguy"]
kevfvstri wrote:

And i want to see how far i can get in triathlon

Sorry to be nosey just ive been having similar thoughts (much to my dad's disaproval).

How much training do you do? at the mo its all builing up work for my frist iornman in 2007 will be starting on about 15-20 hours

>>How long have you been competing? 5 years but this year been my frist session of long course racing,

>>How old are you? 109 na 25

>>Whats you target? just to do the best that i can do, love to one day get a sub 9 on a ironman but got to learn to walk before i can run, but i feel one day it will happen!!

>>Plus what do you think you would have to do to get sponsered? i have sponsor that help me out with equipment

>>Would a sponsership be enough to live on? at the leve l will get to nope

>>sponsor at the most will help you out with ki and thats about it!!
I still think working full time and training you can get just as high as some of the pros out there that train full time

unless your going for the olympics in triathlon finding enuff funding to do this as a full time job is very very hard to do!!
trialsguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm interesting, thanks.
andrew_b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently a manager for a online retailer of outdoor equipment.

Not sure what I would do differently given the choice as I enjoy my job.

Hoping to start a degree through the OU next year in ecology (pref marine) but that is for personal interest rather than career change.

My ideal job would be to be paid to stay at home and raise my children with my wife Very Happy
JaffaCake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be an author.
Sounds like the ultimate flexi-time job.

Dunno what I'd write though.
andygates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fix computers for the NHS. It's a living, and it's got flexi and security so it's a good one, just not loadsamoney.

I'd like to run a little bike shop, the old-fashioned kind with a brown apron and cool, interesting, fun stuff. But I have no business sense at all and would tank utterly.

So I'll fix servers and ride. It's good enough.
2010: Burnham 1:26:11; Bristol Harbourside
Free Garmin UK Maps: www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps
sjr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach. How could I ever give that up? Where else am I going to get 13 weeks a year to do as I please?
toasty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Tescos as their b*tch generally, don't do an MSc their expensive and erm i now work in Tescos.

So being inspired by my Hero Kev i am going to become a Lifeguard.

This is also due to the fact that public gyms and pools are so expensive compared to the free Uni ones.

Oh by the way i passed my MSc, woohooo Smile

http://www.northdevontri.co.uk/training.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a consultant employed by various manufacturers, some being based in tiawan and china. I test Frames and report back on how they ride, designed and sometimes recomend the spec of the frames to get the most out of them.

I wish I was a bike courier.
vics55

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained as a chef - was head chef for a good number of years then the kids came along and i didn't have time for the 60+ hours a week, or the unsociable hours.

I've now reached the dizzy heights of dinnerlady (catering assistant to quote my contract)...woohoo. I'm not even allowed to cook but sometimes I'm trusted to cut up the lettuce and cucumber for the new salad bar we've had to implement courtesy of a certain Mr Oliver (thanks for that Jamie!).

I also do a bit of outside catering...as long as the price is right!!

I'm actually quite happy with what I do as I get all the school hols off - just wish I was paid more but then doesn't everyone?!
harry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t worry about not getting into the fire service, it`s not much fun 99% of the time.
steve_r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked as a trainer and consultant for the last 7 years. I am basically my own boss and choose where and when I work (the theory), but in effect work wherever the best jobs are that keep me busy. I work hard and travel far too much, but always find time for holidays. I have just worked out that I have spent 63 days abroad on holiday this year.

Not sure what I would like to be? My current work seems to suit my lifestyle quite well (although would like to do less travelling and have more time for training-but you can't have everything!!)

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: