Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
American Football - Drugs Dustbin of Outcast Athletes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: American Football - Drugs Dustbin of Outcast Athletes Reply with quote

With Chambers looking to follow in the footsteps of a number of other cheats what does this say about a sport that acepts them?

No axe to grind, other than I find the sport immensely tedious to watch, and yes, I know taking pot shots at Americans is like shooting fish in a barrel, but why should a cheat like Chambers be welcomed into another sport to earn a lucrative contract.

Any drugs cheat should be treated the same across all sports and not encouraged to hop about until they find someone desperate enough to take them on.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Gatlin also tried out recently. (He actually used to play when he was younger).

BB
markie r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: American Football - Drugs Dustbin of Outcast Athletes Reply with quote

Green Man wrote:
With Chambers looking to follow in the footsteps of a number of other cheats what does this say about a sport that acepts them?

No axe to grind, other than I find the sport immensely tedious to watch, and yes, I know taking pot shots at Americans is like shooting fish in a barrel, but why should a cheat like Chambers be welcomed into another sport to earn a lucrative contract.

Any drugs cheat should be treated the same across all sports and not encouraged to hop about until they find someone desperate enough to take them on.

american football is no worse than british athletics, who were happy to have him back last yearas long as he was good enough. it is only because he can't make the grade that he's off to the states i believe, and the fact that as he now can no longer compete at the olympics will struggle for any funding or decent sponsorship.
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American football, like all the other major American sports, don't have a clue when it comes to steroids or other drugs. About the only thing that they can agree on is coke, and that's sorta kinda bad.

Football is the worst. How many 22 stone people do you know that can run 12 seconds for 100m? Yet that's the average weight and speed of the big guys.

Baseball is atrocious.
Green Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason he's not running is that any money he wins he has to pay back towards all the money he won while cheating.
markie r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Man wrote:
The reason he's not running is that any money he wins he has to pay back towards all the money he won while cheating.

well i don't blame him for going, and i don't think athletes should be banned across all sports, once they have served their sentence.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Baseball is atrocious.

Is that a comment on drug use in the sport or a general observation Badger ? Wink
markie r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schedboy wrote:
Badger wrote:
Baseball is atrocious.

Is that a comment on drug use in the sport or a general observation Badger ? Wink

it works for both doesn't it.
Goose2508

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst in New York I happened to read the New York Times. Article in there detailing a pro American Football player who tested positive for steroid use. He received a 4 week ban!!!
Where is the incentive for not doing drugs ad keeping the sort clean????
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
schedboy wrote:
Badger wrote:
Baseball is atrocious.

it works for both doesn't it.

When you see a crisply pitched game it can be exhilarating. Unfortunately it doesn't happen too often - tv. breaks between innings are to blame.

Drug policy is an absolute shambles and players flaunt it openly. A concrete policy can never be shoehorned into the Collective Bargaining Agreement because there are so many other grievances and issues revolving around money that health is never mentioned outside of insurance.
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose2508 wrote:
Whilst in New York I happened to read the New York Times. Article in there detailing a pro American Football player who tested positive for steroid use. He received a 4 week ban!!!
Where is the incentive for not doing drugs ad keeping the sort clean????

It's not like WADA have any interest in it - it's strictly a provincial sport with no international foothold. The European league is now a feeder system running at subsistence levels. Canada has its own brand. Everyone else plays real football or rugby. So there's no reason to clean house.

It's like cycling and drugs, only more true. Everyone knows you're jacked up on something, most likely 'roids or an anabolic enabler that comes in under the radar.
Toepointer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he goes into another sport then fair enough. Not much of a sport outside America, and even in it, but anyway... Banning him from all sports for life seems a bit cruel! He's an athlete, he's served his sentence, he didn't murder anyone, he isn't qualified to do anything else, so how else is he going to earn a living? Much better for everyone that he does earn a living and have a future, albeit one which will always be drugs tainted. He has served his sentence and is still penalised in athletics via his Olympic ban and having to give all athletics earnings away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: