Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
220 - losing the plot!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: 220 - losing the plot! Reply with quote

Feel a whinge coming on!

Have you seen the number of pages devoted to race round-up/results in this months mag (out now) Shocked ! Pages 26-64 cover all the races, in a 90 page mag! That's around 45%.

I don't mind reading about races I have competed in (no more than one a mag max), and any international races I have not seen on TV or heard about from other sources. But most of it I won't bother with, particularly races in the middle of nowhere like the royston sprint tri, #@?#-creek duathlon, etc.

Shame, cos it's a good mag generally.
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, you're right, but the difficulty with any "special interest" mag is that in reality there is only so much you can say. So, when there is some actual news (ie races in 220's case) the editors must think it mannah from heaven rather than having to eek out another 1500 word article on elastic laces.

Call me an old cynic but my view of hobby magazines is that they are more (or at least as much) about the revenue generated from advertising than about informing the reader - which is why you will never see 220 slagging of anything made by one of their major advertisers in the product reviews.

I'm not just picking on 220, but it's an easy target because it's the only triathlon mag we have - I am a subscriber and look forward to getting it each month.
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the cycling mags manage to keep it fresh - 220 could have more in-depth bios of the top athletes, especially the brits. I only ever find out about them in major event previews (London Tri, HIM UK) but, even then, it's only a small box with several others.

How hard can it be to write a 2-3 page spread on AJ/Leanda/Jodie/etc? Evil or Very Mad
dr dre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took me all of 10 mins to read this months edition - boring
larstorders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're reading this , 220 people, and if not why not Laughing I think the mag could improve a lot too. More genuine product tests, more personal experiences, and some different stuff for a change. Message me if you want to share some ideas.
thinman220

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F off you lot. Number one: You only want to see reports that you did, well for everyone that does small little race in the middle of nowhere getting recognised is really important to them. If you actually got out and raced every 2nd week like some people then it becomes really important to see how your opponents and friends are doing.
Number two: you want to see more in depth interviews with top stars. Do you actually read the mag! every month we feature someone, this is not some gossip mag with who was seen where, wearing what.
Number three: yes the magazines does carry a lot of ads but without them the magazine would cost 10 or wouldn't get published at all. How many of you are members of clubs with news letters? how often do these newsletters not come out as sheduled or are thin on copy? quite alot from my experience, but we can't allow this to happen because you dear reader would complain. We really appreciate constructive critiscism but not this gable of winge! Rolling Eyes
that feels better.
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annnnnnd relax thinman! Very Happy

It was a whinge but it's still constructive critiscm I gave. I just think that 45% of a mag devoted to race reports, when only about 20-30% is left (after advertising) was a little excessive.

As mentioned before, for the majority the performance pages (18-25 this issue) are very popular. I would love to have these extended a little. two pages a month on the swim just isnt enough for me personally Rolling Eyes
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinman, to cheer you up:

Love the product reviews - apart from making me go gadget shopping, it's also good to see alternatives on the market (if I could find them!).

Race results - agree with you as I couldn't care less about seeing a report on a race I was in. I know the results already, so not bothered about seeing them in print. In fact, it should be up to each organiser to put its own race summary on their web site. I'd actually prefer to see the results pages disappear apart from the elite events (ICU, IM, etc) or the unusual (Ballbuster, etc).

As a beginner, I like the technique sections - it saves me from trying to find a book suitable for a novice. It's also good that they're split into segments as I can practice on a set of drills for a month before the next issue comes out.

Adverts - no problem. The Metro (for London users) is free because of advertising, and is essentially the previous night's Standard!

That said, there's always room for improvement and the previous posts were only suggestions (whether practicable or not). Another I have is to maybe have a continuous product comparison, like Runner's World do for trainers and Practical Photography do with cameras, lenses, etc? Just a thought - don't bite my head off! Cool
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, they do have a regular product comparison page - hrms this month <licks lips> Cool
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race reports must stay! (Just wait until Feb!)

As well as getting a better idea of how the race went, and who is up-and-coming, we also get an impression of the race. Is it worth doing ourselves? etc etc.

Unfortunately, very few organisers put up race reports. Team Outrageous do, but Human Race don't, so we need someone to tell us what went on.

When's the next Turbo review, eh?

BB
WildWill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 220 Very Happy

I read the whole mag cover to cover (repeatedly) then I keep it so I can refer to articles when I need to know something or someone asks a question

The race reports are enjoyable - not only do i like to see reports on races i've done (might one day get name in) I like to read the reports on race that I may do in the future

The previous reports on Longest Day are partly responsible for me deciding to do that race next year

As someone said most people like to read about races they've done - but bare in mind we all do different races

I also like to read the reports from around the world too - race that i may never get a chance to do (although going to try Florida next year)

So stop bloody twisting - it is the height of race season after-all

Keep it up 220

Twisted Evil WW
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - I mentioned that already. What I meant was the reference section at the back of RW, with basic specs.
thinman220

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your support everyone. Turbos are up for group test in the next issue (Oct, on sale 30th Sept). We hope to do a comparison section on the web in the new year so you can see reviews of old and new products.
Sorry to get agro Embarassed
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, everyone is wrong sometimes!

just joking Laughing
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring on the turbo review - gots some b'day money set aside already !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: