Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
I was never meant to be a runner !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: I was never meant to be a runner ! Reply with quote

I am extending my run distances (1/2 marathon on Nov 16th ) and managed an 1hr 40m last night ( about 17-18k i think ) the last 15 mins was majorly painful. Both hip flexors in bits, both knees gone (old knee strain problems) big blisters on both of my smallest toes on each foot and a really strange pain in the centre of my left foot on pushing off. By the end I was doing a very good impression of a marathon walker and was struggling to get up the kerbs !!

This morning I can hardly walk any hints tips comments ? would support shorts make a difference to my flexors ? ( and where can I get them )
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre, this is no help whatsoever, other than to have someone to share your pain. I played squash last night before our club swim - I used to be a good squash player but gave up about three years ago because of back pain it was giving me and haven't played since...until last night. Well, today I can hardly move. I am in a whole hill of pain. I don't think my nose hurts but that's about the only place that doesn't. I feel like someone has kicked the sh*t out of me.

Good to have you back and hope you & Mrs Dre are getting some sleep.
larstorders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr dre, Whenever it starts hurting, I would/ I do, stop running and walk home. Minimises the injury and so helps a quicker recovery. Unfortunately its very frustrating Mad Take care to avoid getting into a cycle of recurring muscle strains, if in doubt don't run. Allow time for your legs to recover, and increase their work load gradually. Training may be important for a good race result but training injuries can soon come to mean no race at all, especially at my age Laughing Have you tried thick socks. I suffered blisters for years, then discovered 'Coolmax' hiking socks, very cumfy in half a size bigger shoe. Oh yeh and 'Saucony' 'jazz' etc trainers might help theyre straight lasted and wide in the toe box yet snug at the heel perfect if your little toes are suffering. Also you could stretch them with shoe trees. Very Happy
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr dre what have you done Surprised
did you increase your mileage by too much Question
was the running surface different to what you are used to Question
had you recovered from your last training session Question
are your running shoes still ok and suitable for distances Question
have you suddenly gone from baby cooing, not doing too much, to doing a lot Question
otherwise I don't know ?bad luck ?a sign? punishment? sub concsious (spelling Embarassed ) working ? Confused
Don't know about support shorts, my mind is conjuring up strange images, but if they psycologically make you feel better than go fo it -as long as you put a piccy on line Wink
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was about 5k longer than my longest ever run and i haven't run long for nearly a month , I also ran it on my hilly run route which has 3 reasonable ups and downs and i did two circuits. Have I been stupid ?

( my trainers are fine and i run in blister proof socks with gaffa tape on the insteps as I still get blister thru the socks )
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes well dr dre,
it's more than the "recommended" increase especially if you haven't run long for a month, plus hills. Smile Let say you got carried away, or over enthusiastic, or anxious with a half marathon coming up, or raring to go, or, ok your words just plain stupid Wink
But if thats all it is then easy to get right - Very Happy
larstorders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be due a refund on the socks then dr dre Very Happy . Seriously though, Sue has outlined the likely causes of your predicament and when you start running again be wary, pain from, and worry about blisters can /will cause an uneven gait and more injury Crying or Very sad I know how dissapointing it is when this sort of thing happens and I do wish you a very rapid recovery Smile
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the advice , have had to cancel my speed session tonight ( swaped for upper body weights session) I am worried about the 1/2 marathon I have entered ( also measured the route i ran last night and it was only 14k Sad Sad Sad Sad
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre/slowpoke

Just one thing I would recommend is to have 20-30mins on a gym bike on a very low gear (but still with some resistance) at approx 100rpm. You may not feel like it but I find it's great for recovery - prob gets rid of lactic acid or fools the brain into forgetting about the pain or something Confused
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dr dre Smile
if you are worried about the half marathon, have you checked out one of the running sites -do you go on the runnersworld forum?- and check out a half training schedule for the weeks you have left. You should have a good base fitness. It's gettign to the end of the tri season so be mainly a "runner" for a while Shocked I've the Beachy Head marathon 25th October and so have been increasing my long runs and after 7oaks tri Sunday will go back to mainly running Smile -It's not so bad being a runner Wink (thats the only reason I'm not last in my tri's Embarassed
And don't go hell for leather in the half, practise pacing -that works as well Exclamation Which half are you doing Question and keep us informed -especially with the support shorts Laughing
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. just noticed your thread on half marathon training -did you not follow your own or anyone's advice then Question Twisted Evil Say no more Wink

[quote]dr dre
Monday - speed sessions (fartlek type over varying distances)
Thursday - Long and Slow (up to 13k in 80min) planning on adding 1-2k a week.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre,

I don't know about your other problems, but the blisters will throw your gait out, and stop you running with correct form, because it is just too painful. This could cause the aches and pains.

I get really bad blisters if I race 10k or more. (After the last Kingston 16, I had two blood blisters, one on each foot that were so bad that I had to get them drained by St John's Ambulancemen. They were so bad that a crowd gathered! One was 1 inch by 2 and a half inches, and the other was 1 and a half by 3, this is no exaggeration.) There is salvation, and it's name is Compeed. You can get them at Boots. They are gel plasters you put on before you run, and work absolutely flawlessly. I cannot recommend them enough.

Hopefully this will keep you running properly. (If you can race 10k, then I can't see why one half marathon run would affect you quite as badly as it has.)

BB
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Big Bopper"]I had two blood blisters, one on each foot that were so bad that I had to get them drained by St John's Ambulancemen. They were so bad that a crowd gathered! One was 1 inch by 2 and a half inches, and the other was 1 and a half by 3[/quote]

Shocked Ouch! Evil or Very Mad And here was me complaining of my common or garden tiny blisters!
dr dre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spotted Sue - I am my own worst enemy ! I had missed a couple of long runs due to the baby and think I decided to make up for it by going to long. My blisters have gone down and my knees are fine, my left foot is still giving me grief so I am just gonna swim and bike tomorrow and rest Sunday.
DONA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: poor you Reply with quote

Hi Dr Dre,

I can really really really sympathise with you why....? Well I completed my first half last Sunday (the Great Scottish Run) and I have only now recovered fully.

My advice to you is DON'T DO IT! I hated every minute of it and that is no lie.

As I crossed the finish line I just about died. I wanted to cry with joy though that I did it! The best thing was a HUGE free cuppa tea, it was the best cup of tea ever! The next day I woke up and could hardly move and I had two little blisters on my smallest toes but nothing too bad. However, the next day was even worse, had to take a holiday from work as I could not walk!

Why was I like a wreck - because I never trained prop for this event, I thought that if can do a 10k then a half would be just as easy, believe me its not - Its such a big step to take.

So my real advice to you is train for it, don't just do it! I was stupid Embarassed

Maybe if I trained for it then I would have had a better experience to share with you. Embarassed

Get those miles in now Dr Dre!

Dona Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: