Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
BAOTT - Thank you, £1500 raised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race report

Firstly this has been a very long old road for me, so a few thanks are needed. My Dad, who was a rock in those first few hours when I was trapped, and my Mum who nursed me in the weeks and months that followed, I love you both. The police, fire, air ambulance and paramedics who attended the scene. Obviously the ITU staff for whom this race is dedicated to. All the staff of Swindons PMH and Oxfords JR hospitals who rebuilt and rehabilitated me, particularly Mr Peter Worlock (my orthopaedic surgeon) who didn’t give up on me and without whom I would never have been able to achieve my dreams of running again. And obviously my friends who have supported and encouraged me over the years, particularly my long suffering girlfriend Caroline, who has had to put up with my obsession!

A lot has already been written about the conditions of the race and I certainly found it the hardest race I’ve ever done.

My build up went exactly according to plan, with some very good pre London races all indicating a fast time at London. Unfortunately my right hip flared up a little the week before (it does this occasionally) and then again the night before the race. I could feel it most of the way round and did give me a bit of bother but never gave way on me. The heat was the biggest problem, I sweat like a ……and I didn’t get enough water onboard, partly due to my ignorance as to how much I actually needed. (in fact in light of me not getting my runners high and the state I was in at the end of the race my girlfriend suggests I change my TT name to “Soggy”)

The first few miles were fine and passed in a blur, I was running with a mate from my club (Dave) and we were planning on pacing each other the whole way round. The congestion at the start was a bit of a problem with loads of people in the wrong pens, but I didn’t stress as the slower start would hopefully prevent me blowing up later…..

Just after mile 9 my dad appeared out of the crowd and just round the corner Caroline managed to get this shot, although I didn’t see her (and no-one else in the family saw me!).

Just after this I got separated from Dave. I slowed up a little to try and regroup but couldn’t find him so pushed on ahead. By the time I went over London Bridge I gave up on finding him again and tried to run my own race. Passed a pirate on the bridge and discussed pacing, he was opting to take it easy and go for 3.30, I was still dreaming of 3.15 so pushed on again. Started to struggle a little with my hip around mile 13-14 but seeing the elite guys go pass spurred me on but by mile 15 I was having a bad day and started feeling quite sorry for myself. Then as I came out of the underpass I passed Barnetrose in the crowds and her abuse woke me up and that got me through to mile 18. Then the wheels fell off.

I have to admit that from then onwards I did not enjoy the race, in fact I didn’t take in much of the surroundings which was a shame. My right hamstring and left quad started getting v tight and I shortened my stride to prevent total cramp. Then my right arm kept cramping up, whenever I’d swing my arms properly or take a drink I’d end up hunched over like I’d had a stroke! That’s when I stopped thinking about getting a time and just about getting to the finish line.

I spotted another mate of mine in the crowds at around 23 miles, and apparently he’s never seen me looking so awful (Cheers Ian) I vaguely managed to raise my arm to acknowledge his screams of support but it did nothing to my pace. By this point the only thing on my mind was NOT walking, I was determined to run the whole way, then I noticed the time again and realised I might make sub 3.30 and tried to pick it up again but it didn’t happen and I slowed right up to more of a shuffle.

My family saw me along the mall but it didn’t register who they were until after I’d gone past….. I was almost having an outerbody experience, aware of the fact that I was running, body in absolute tatters yet mentally I thought I was Ok and looking at the whole thing in quite an abstract way. Then suddenly the finish was in sight. A vague attempt at a sprint was put on and I fell into the arms of one of the finish crew. And yes there were a few tears.

TIMES
10 km 0:49:57
20 km 1:37:08
half 1:42:19
30 km 2:25:44
40 km 3:19:46
finish 3:30:51
TOTAL
Position (overall) 3829
Position (gender) 3389
Position (age group) 380
Finish time 3:30:51

1. 9.00
2. 8.19
3. 7.41
4. 7.34
5. 7.48
6. 7.55
7. 7.37
8. 7.26
9. 7.31
10. 7.54
11. 7.27
12. 7.29
13. 7.43
14. 7.43
15. 7.47
16. 7.47
17. 7.53
18. 7.45
19. 8.12
20. 8.02
21. 8.45
22. 8.57
23. 8.55
24. 8.35
25. 9.07
26. 9.49

finish – 3.30.51

Lessons learnt

More miles/ long runs to cope with the last 6.
Better knowledge of my fluid/ electrolyte requirements needed

Phil Wilson- "EJ... He's an injury rehab ninja."
esox.flucius- "The man that Sport & Exercise doctors turn to for help"
Fatmantris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Tim and I could almost feel your pain sitting here - almost Wink

What's next?
roadrunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report EJ

Reminded me of my first finish (FLM 2004) when I also 'filled up a bit' as I crossed the line. In fact such was the magnitude of my pre FLM build up this year that I actually got goosebumps and became a bit emotional in the very first few hundred metres (but then I've always loved Boyzone).
Just a shame my personal race ended with a tube ride to the Mall.

Last edited by roadrunner on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
pip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, you did brilliantly and its such a great story
barnetrose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tim - great report and great achievement. In light of how much you were suffering towards the end I'll forgive you for completely blanking me at mile 24 Wink
e-j

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it says....

I've been in to visit the ITU staff and handed them a cheque for £1500.

this will be used to buy the little things which make ones stay in ITU a bit more tollerable (such as digital radios so you can get decent reception, TV's and the such like)

So thank you again to everyone here who supported me.

Phil Wilson- "EJ... He's an injury rehab ninja."
esox.flucius- "The man that Sport & Exercise doctors turn to for help"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: