Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wrong Bike Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamest06

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Wrong Bike Size Reply with quote

God, bloody chain stores!

I bought a Carrea bike from Halfords 6 months ago for competing in my first triathlon season. Not knowing anything about road bikes I was advised to purchase the bike I have currently got to date.
Just been to an independent bike shop for a service and he laughed at me when I told him this was my bike purchased from Halfords. He stated that the bike was far to big for me, more suitable for a 6f 2 rider, where I am only 5f 8. Does anyone think I have a case to take the bike back to change down to a smaller frame?

Sad
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like incompetence by Halford's staff than mis-selling. I'm not sure how strong is your legal case but you can certainly badger them on customer service grounds.

If you remember, try to find out the name of person who advised you buy the bike. Write to the branch manager and copy to Head Office, telling them the whole story and stressing that you were not in a position of knowledge and trusted the sales assistant. Mention that you did not know it was wrong size until you took it to bike shop. Finish by saying you are left with a bike that is not, and was never, fit for purpose (a legal requirement of anything sold) and therefore want a refund (never exchange - it ties you in to buying only from them).

You may want to run the letter past a paralegal or the Citizen's Advice Bureau or something similar.

HTH
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is the frame then Question If they wont change it Crying or Very sad you could swap all the bits onto another frame (less than 100 for a second hand 531) or get your frame cut down by a frame builder to exactly the right size. Smile
jamest06

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert and Larstorders,

Thanks for the advice!
I'm taking my bike to Halfords tonight so I'll let you know how I get on. Twisted Evil
I think the frame size is a 58. Is getting the frame cut down by a frame builder an easy procedure to do?
larstorders

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 58cm frame is wayyyyyyyy too big for a five foot eighter, which you obviously know now Crying or Very sad One long stretch to the bars for a start. If its steel then cutting down to 53 cm or so, is a possibility as the tubes will hopefully be braised together(only takes a couple of hours but doesn't do much for the paint job) ( I had a 56cm reynolds 531 cut down to 52cm years ago and its still going great). Shouldn't cost more than seventy five pounds, if you're lucky a LOT less Very Happy . Aluminium, Crying or Very sad well probably too much trouble to bother with Crying or Very sad So Good luck with your trip to Halfords tonight.
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything but solid steel (e.g. aluminium, magnesium, etc) it shouldn't be tampered with - cutting the tube will destroy its rigidity and will prob fold under you on your next big climb!

Hope you kicked Halford's arse! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: