Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New bike to buy ---Help!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue - get the model that has the sadlle propped up by a wooden block! Wink

For those who weren't at 7oaks, one guy was racing with an old steel bike where the seat post obviously wasn't staying up and he jammed a block of wood between the saddle and the top tube!

Worst thing is....he was quite good! Embarassed
Tom Chambers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Fit is Important Reply with quote

Sue,

First things First, get properly fitted, either with bio-racer fitting or if you can afford a bit more Bike Park in London do Serotta fittings (95, but you get money back if you buy a bike from them). I have done both as I spent 2K this year on a new bike. Whilst the bio-racer was good, it gave me a theoretical fitting, when I did the Serotta fitting, it took 2 hrs and covered my training, flexibility etc, it became apparrent that I was not flexible enough to ride comferatbly with the setting the bio-racer gave me. So I now have a new bike that fits me properly and I also now ride pain free, and most improtantly I do not have to explain to my wife that I spent 2k on a bike that did not fit me. (If I had gone with the bio-racer only I would have bought a tri bike and then been in pain riding it). The shops mentioned in previous post should all give you good advice, avoid aero bars at first (easy to add later), try clippless pedals they are easy to use, just need some confidence.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tom Chambers on Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue,

I think it might be an idea going to TriandRun in Hainault or Sigma Sport in Kingston now I think about it. These guys know exactly what they are talking about, pretty sure they both have a Bio-racer, and will know exactly what will meet your requirements in triathlon.

TriandRun are very friendly and have good bargain offers, partic as they make their own brand of bikes that you'll see a few pro's use.

Sigma have very goo technical know how and have provided Spencer Smith, Annie Emmerson and a number of others with bikes in the past.

PS - Rob.....( <daz being restrained> cant let it lie).....I didnt say anything about using a Bioracer when buying 2nd hand. I said it was useful if buying brand new. When buying second hand you need to find out your own measurements before.
AND, every time I've been out training with you, you go on your brand new bike. The same one you use for racing. You never use the old one and the mtb rust-bucket you lying git Laughing
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Darryl"]When buying second hand you need to find out your own measurements before.[/quote]

...which is what I said at the beginning...

[quote="Darryl"] AND, every time I've been out training with you, you go on your brand new bike. The same one you use for racing. You never use the old one and the mtb rust-bucket you lying git :lol.[/quote]

I never said I did - I bought the bike for what I do the most: road cycling. The other ones are a tourer and an MTB. You stick to TTs, mate, if that's what turns you on - I find the lack of tactics, strategy and 20Km-climbs makes it rather boring Rolling Eyes
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Hehe this is ace fun, cos I know what you're like matey....

Rolling Eyes On my very first message, that you chose to start all your nit-picking on, when refering to buying second-hand I said :
"If you can't find anything decent that's about your size for a month or two THEN look for something on the sales "

The bike leg of a triathlon is TT-format. So you saying that the bike leg of tri is boring? Maybe you should stick to road races then?

Sue, I presume you'll still have the bike you used at 7oaks to do some of your training with? Saves wear and tear on the new one...... Very Happy
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Daz here. I also have two bikes. I bought a Giant TCR2 recently for 1100 (150 off) a few months ago and will only use this for races as much as possible. It would be silly to use it for all your road cycling.

I use my cheap condor for all my training;long distance, commuting and interval work.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Darryl"]Sigh! Whatever makes you sleep at night - I'm off on holiday so can't be bothered.

And yes, I do find the TT boring - nothing to aim for (except time), no sprint finish across the line, no tactics....they call it the race of truth but it doesn't make it any more interesting.

Sorry guys, but it's personal preference - TTs are an English tradition and not v.popular in Italy and France[/quote]
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Daz slaps Rob across face with with glove>

How dare young Herr Baldi! Ve have NEVER heard such insolence! You vill respect Tris and TTs or suffer ze penalty! Neutral
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw David Millar win a stage in the Vuelta - about time he actually proved his worth in anything OTHER than a TT Razz Maybe there's a future for him after all....
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - <double slap with black leather glove>
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha so there MAY just be a future for TT-ers and triathletes in road cycling....hold the front page !
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Boardman thought Laughing Laughing Laughing
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Lance Armstrong too.....

aha got your herr baldi....you fell into my trap <slap>
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Lance was pretty sh**e at TTs - bike leg of tri was his weakest event - until he met Chris Carmichael (his current coach) who taught him how do to TTs properly, not to mention about tactics, etc.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he was a good Triathlete! :
As a young lad he won a few triathlons, one with a foot that was falling to pieces. Mark Allen even reckoned he be the next big thing. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: