Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Clipless Pedal Agony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Clipless Pedal Agony Reply with quote

Mmmm - new forum - nice Very Happy

I've just started using a pair of Look CX7s, having previously used clips. I've been using clips because the SPD pedals I used on my MTB as a kid gave me terrible knee problems.

The CX7s are making my knees sore already. They're highly adjustable so I'm sure that I'll be able to get them comfortable eventually, but my question is this:

I've never heard of anyone else getting knee problems with clipless pedals. ALL the pros use them without problems, as do most amateurs. DOES ANYONE ELSE SUFFER FROM THIS or am I just weird?
marathon236

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the ball of your foot directly over the axle of the pedal, and is the bony projection at the top of your shin bone in line with the axle when the pedal is at the 3oclock position? Some shops that have the frame measuring device also do a cleat fitting service! This makes sure the foot is lined up properly.

Don,t get mad...............get even...and some.
The Bionik Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT COLOUR CLEATS ARE YOU USING. If they are the black ones get rid of them. get the red ones, i had all sorts of probs with black cleats went back to red sorted straight away.
If not that then give it time it could just be you ligaments getting used to the new position. if the pain is to great then, yes go to a cycle coach get bike fit to check your positon is right and check the cleat position.
once you get used to them you will never LOOK back.
good luck.

anyone want a fight??
dbc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Look pedals but I bought Time ATACs because they've got loads of float (unlike the SPDs I used to have). I haven't had any knee problems in I don't know how many years of using them.
2007: IMUK
2008: Sabbatical year
2000: Back to sprints
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Time ATACs on my MTB (havent got my racer yet) and love them. I have had knee probs before but not with these.
Paisley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would look at how the cleats are fixed (are they square)
Would agree with marathon on the position and bionik on the colour of cleats (black is evil)

many people suffer bad knees with cleats due to lack of float and position problems and the new breed of cleats helps limit these factors, but you also need to check how you remove the cleats with the twisting motion as this has also hindered people , make sure you twist the leg from the hip or ankle and not the knee when trying to disengage

I personally prefer the Shimano spd sl's as they have a rubber padded triangle on the cleat which allows easy running in transition and have lots of float
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I have red cleats. The problem is not (I don't think) the lack of float, but rather the horizonal "camber" of my foot, and also the fact that my feet "stick out". I overpronate severely when running, so this must affect my pedalling. I think at the moment the pedals are forcing my feet into an unnaturally "flat" position. The CX7s come with shimmies to adjust this angle, and I'll be experimenting when I get the chance.
dbc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh ooh I know this one Surprised

I too overpronate loads and while this didn't give me any knee problems on the bike it did show up in a pronounced swaying of my knees L to R during the pedal stroke (as shown up in a CycleFit session).

What they did was:

a) Get me some new shoes because my old ones were too small and didn't put the ball of my foot over the axle

b) Put in 4 (yes 4) LeWedges under each cleat such that they tilt the shoe when I'm clipped in.

This means that me legs now go up and down without any swaying whatsoever and are, I guess, easier on the knees.

Very Happy
2007: IMUK
2008: Sabbatical year
2000: Back to sprints
redbiker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started using the LeWedges (available from www.cyclefit.co.uk) and they have made a real difference.
www.bike-science.com
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The CX7s come with plastic things that do the same job as those wedges. I'm sure that will sort me out Very Happy
John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrrr. This clipless pedal problem is really getting me down, and cycling has gone from my best and favourite leg to my worst and least favourite. I can't even be arsed to train on the bike, knowing that any ride will be uncomfortable, and my performance disappointing.

Is there such thing as a cycling physio? Someone who can look at my gait and get me set up properly on bike, pedals, cleats etc?

Recent adjustments to my pedals & cleats have stopped the knee pain, but now I'm getting strain on my hams, and the front of my quads going round to the backs of my knees (ITB?) Maybe it's just a new riding style I have to get used to. All I know is that short rides I once considered easy are now a big effort, and pretty much all of the enjoyment has gone out of my cycling.

Please don't tell me to ditch the CX7s and go back to clips - I refuse to be the only cyclist in the entire world who can't get on with clipless pedals. Has anyone else had the same problem in adjusting to clipless pedals? Or am I flogging a dead 'orse?
The Bionik Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this , click on the link at the bottom of my page i-team.co.uk. you may be able to log in as a guest? a man called Guy Watson who is team manager and has a wealth of knowlage may be able to help you. he may take a bit of time to get back to you as he is very busy.
tell him your problem and if he cannot help ask him if he knows if anybody can help.
if this does not work send me a PM and i might be able to forwrd the info onto him.
he may try to recrute you to the team which is'nt a bad thing.
good luck hope this can help you.

anyone want a fight??
The Bionik Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you will need to log in with a name not knick name.

anyone want a fight??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: