Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Front Derailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Front Derailer Reply with quote

Any cycling mechanics out there? I know nothign about how bieks work, just ride them Confused

I'm having a little prob shifting from the small to the large front chain ring on my racing bike. The front derailer takes a bit of coaxing.....which I don't need when racing Mad !

I presume I knocked the front derailer at some stage. So, do I need to move it, or can I simply turn one of the screws on it? ANd if so, which one, which direction, and by how much? Rolling Eyes

Cheers
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and used trial and error to fix it eg turn one of the screws see if it helps if not turn it back etc etc til I fixed it.

ps hope your feeling better, I went for a little run last night after a few days off and my foot injury from my last long run came back at 2k ! worrying ! )
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll have to. Have been hunting in books and searching on internet but to no avail. Do remember reading something on it in cycling mag or 220 once but cantr remember which edition (buggered if I'm going to search through all the old copies Sad )

Still feeling sh*te but contemplating doing a few lengths in the pool after work tonight. Otherwise I'll wait til Sat and just do a few miles on bike and run.
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingers crossed for sunday then - I have no intention on dnf'ing even if I have to crawl.
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the cage sides (the bit that bash the chain across) are in line with the chain.... you shouldn't need to move the mech (i.e. it hasn't rotated on the seat tube).

the front mech moves from the small chainring to the larger one by the lever pulling cable through so there could be two reasons for it not going far enough:
i) the cable is too slack.. some of the lever's movement is used in taking the slack in the cable.. only then does it have enough tension to pull the mech across.
ii) the end stop is preventing the mech from moving any further out

check for the latter first by putting it on the big ring & see if you can pull the mech further across with your hand.. if you can.. then this isn't your problem as you're not running the mech to the end stop.

slack in the cable can be taken up with the barrel adjusters (either on the shifters or somewhere down the cable).. you need to make the cable less slack.. you're not shortening it in this case so you have to make it take a longer route... unscrewing the barrel adjusters (anti-clockwise) effectively does this. In the extreme case you'd have to loosen the bolt attaching the cable to the mech & pull a bit through (rarely needed).

the end stop for the big ring is probably the outer most screw (ish..maybe.. i think).. unscrewing it a little will allow the mech to move further out (but only if the cable pulls it that far).

of course you may find that tightening the cable moves it onto the end stop meaning you need to adjust that..... or moving the end stop may mean the cable doesn't pull far enough Rolling Eyes so you might need to iterate.

always try it whilst riding.. & when you're shifting under your usual load as this effects things bigtime... and of course the more you move the mech out the more in danger of the chain coming off you are.

i've tried to put this clearly.. dunno if it helps. i find with a bit of patience & logic most bike things can be figured out... but it helps to understand how it all works!

any questions class ? Cool
Simon_B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darryl

Here is a page on MTB FrontD setup. It should/might be similar to yours... so hopefully it might help.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kev15/bike/mechanics/frontd.html

Chirpa
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

Yes Ed I followed about 90% of it....I think. Not sure what the end stop is, but will check it out. Will have a go at turning the barrels and hopefully that will do the trick.
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the end stops are the 2 screws on top of the mech itself.... they physically limit how far the cage bit can move in or out.

so they'll limit how much effect tweaking the cable will have

dunno what a pro like you is doing without your own mechanic anyways..
...and quite why you intend to need your small chainring
DONA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this prob also, but it turned out to be my chain had a stuck link that was cauzing the prob......I took mine to a repair shop and thats what the guy said it was. Laughing
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ed said! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: