Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Timing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

Hi all, first time posting...

I'm looking through the results of races I'm planning on doing next year (Tonbridge, London and Sevenoaks) and it's suddenly struck me that I have no idea exactly when the split times start and stop. Obviously the swim starts at the start and the run ends at the end but when does the clock stop/start for the other splits? I'm trying to guage where I'll end up, my initial plan is not to finish last but then it's to beat another at work who's planning on doing tri's next year!

Anyway, a quick intro. I got into the thought of triathlon after attending physio for a knee injury I picked up at work, she said I have good proportions to make a triathlete, that sounded stupid enough for me to do and here I am. In three months I've gone from lazy fat slob to a (injured) fitness nut! Another thing she said was I'd be back in physio as soon as I started running and she's right, strained my groin last night on my third run. Don't you hate it when people are right?

Andy
http://www.montecarlo.demon.co.uk
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy

in my experience swim times are usually taken as you leave the pool (sometimes you have to shout your number on the way out)

with the next time check on the way out for the run.... although at least one they've taken times on the way in off the bike.

so swim times are pretty accurate.
bike often includes the longer T1 time
some runs include T2 time... but that's usually very short.. so the times won't be far out.

but of course in considering how you'll compare you need to take into account & practise your transitions!
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that times vary from race to race. At Windsor (2002) the first split was taken on entry to T1, some 200 metres from the swim exit. The next split was on exit from T2 (I think). If they are using timing chips then it depends where they put the mats.

In manual races, based on human observation, I'm not sure the splits are always accurate, especially if you have crowds.

I think the athletes stopwatch is the gold standard for total time, although I usually forget to stop it at the finish. I usually rely on the bike computer to tell me the bike split.
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed and Chris have summed it up mate.

However I can be a bit more specific on the London and 7oaks splits because I did both of them this year.

The London Tri are pretty good with their time splits and you should be able to access a spread sheet from this year that has a split for swim, T1, 3xlap of bike, T2 and 3xlap of run (thats for the olympic age-group btw). Just go to the London Tri webpage - results folder.

As for sevenoaks, we had to shout our numbers out as we left the pool. So the first split will include the time it takes to get your gogs/hat off, climb out and run about 20m to the exit (not a lot really). The second split will therefore include the rest of the run (20metres) into T1+the bike+T2. As you run to the end of transition you shout out number to a guy, before running up some steps and on to run course.
Andy_S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks. Gives me an idea of what's going on. I've got a load of work to do!
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:

I've got a load of work to do!

if you ever find this is not the case ... let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: